Sinus issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-11-2006, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
I have been having horrible sinus headaches for about a week now. I think it is either extremely severe allergies or a sinus infection. I am trying really hard to not resort to prescription or standard sinus medications.
I have tried a neti pot and was in absolute agony. It stung so bad that my eyes watered and that was just with plain water. I also bought a colloidal silver nose spray today and am going to give that a whirl. And I am drinking loads and loads and loads of water.
Any other suggestions? TIA

Namaste,

Michelle

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#2 of 13 Old 12-11-2006, 08:05 PM

You can't use plain water in a neti pot--it'll HURT! You have to use a saline solution. You can look up proportions of salt to water. I gauge mine by eye these days. You can also add a pinch of baking soda to buffer the solution, but I never do that.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#3 of 13 Old 12-11-2006, 08:09 PM

Eating lots of spicy foods helps with drainage. I think you can mix a little cayenne pepper in a glass of water and swill it down. (Google that--you're bound to find some measuring suggestions.) That will keep things running so that your sinuses get a chance to drain and maybe remove some of the infected stuff. Good luck!
#4 of 13 Old 12-11-2006, 08:11 PM

Hi Michelle,

You are using the neti pot incorrectly. Filling it with just water will always cause your sinuses to hurt like crazy. Here's what you need to do instead:

Drop about 1/2 teaspoon of plain (not iodized salt) into the pot. Fill the pot about 1/4 with HOT water. Stir the salt in well, then fill up the rest of the way with warm or cold until the pot is full of lukewarm to slightly warm solution. (If you only have iodized salt, use it for now, but get non-iodized salt as soon as you can.)

Now, bend over your sink until your face is more-or-less parallel to the sink, and quite close to the sink.

Tip your head to the right. Holding the spout of the pot snugly in your right nostril, slowly pour the solution into that right nostril. You will find that the salt water runs out of your other nostril. It may make you gag a little. If so, just cough a little, but keep on pouring.

Now, refill the pot, tip your head to the left and do the same thing on that side.

When all the solution is gone, keep your head low in the sink, and firmly blow (that's right, blow right into the sink) through your nose at least three times. This is called bellowing, and is necessary to remove the excess water from your nose/sinuses. You are finished! Your nose will probably run for a little while. Just gently blow your nose with a kleenex as you would usually do.

Now quickly rinse any gunk out of the sink. You can clean it more fully later, but rinse right away with pretty hot water. Snot dries on quite hard if you let it dry at all.

When done correctly, nasal lavage (just means nasal washing) is quite soothing and helps a LOT.

Once you are accustomed to doing this, there is a second step you can add for even deeper cleaning. Do the above rinses, then do the whole thing again, but now you may inhale gently and intermitently WHILE pouring the solution into your nostril. This generally causes even more gagging and coughing, but it works wonderfully at clearing gunk out.

I have suffered from sinus problems (allergies and terrible infections) for more than 20 years now, had the surgeries, taken the drugs, etc. But I honestly think that using a neti pot has helped more than anything else I have ever done.

I hope this helps you. I really do know how terrible sinus pain can get!

Deborah
#5 of 13 Old 12-11-2006, 08:19 PM

Michelle,

I thought of something else. When you have a bad headache, take either ibuprofen or naproxen sodium WITH sudafed (real sudafed, not that lousy new stuff called 'sudafed PE'). Painkillers alone are useless with sinus pain. You must use the sudafed as well. Optionally, guiafenisen is good too as it thins the mucous, making it easier for your body to expel.

Hope you feel better soon.

Deborah
#6 of 13 Old 12-11-2006, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Own View Post
Michelle,

I thought of something else. When you have a bad headache, take either ibuprofen or naproxen sodium WITH sudafed (real sudafed, not that lousy new stuff called 'sudafed PE'). Painkillers alone are useless with sinus pain. You must use the sudafed as well. Optionally, guiafenisen is good too as it thins the mucous, making it easier for your body to expel.

Hope you feel better soon.

Deborah
This is what I had to resort to. I even had to sign my name to get the real Advil Sinus from behind the counter. I could barely function. I had tried my homeopathic sinus stuff, but the pain felt like someone was stabbing an icepick into my ear and my eye. The advil sinus made me able to live like a normal person. It was just about 3 days, but my god, it was horrid.
I usually go to the acupuncturist, and that takes care of it too, but I didn't have $70. Next time I'll call her as soon as symtoms start.
#7 of 13 Old 12-12-2006, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

That explains why the neti pot hurt so bad, lol. I thought I was doing myself a favor by not putting salt in as I thought it would make it hurt worse.
I have been eating cayenne and chili powder on practically everything and I seem to be doing a little bit better today. I am still stuffy and feel a little pressure but no pain today thankfully. I really, really didn't want to have to go on antibiotics and it looks like I have successfully avoided it this time. I will give the neti pot another try and keep eating spicy food. Thanks for the help.

Namaste,

Michelle

#8 of 13 Old 12-12-2006, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Vitamin C with Quecertin works great. I have cat allergies though, my dd loves her cat so I had to find something-can't take sudafed I'm nursing and my nursling has a serious heart problem. I immediatly feel all the preasure leaving my head after I take it in the morning.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#9 of 13 Old 12-12-2006, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

What is Quecertin? I have never heard of that before.
The neti pot worked much better this time around, my sinuses feel a little better after having used it too

Namaste,

Michelle

#10 of 13 Old 12-13-2006, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I found this on the net:

Quercetin

Parts used: Quercetin is a plant pigment that belongs to the class called bioflavonoids. It is commonly found in onions, apples, and black tea. It can found in leafy green vegetables and beans.

Historical and traditional use: Quercetin has several biochemical actions. These include antihistamine, anti-inflammatory as well as antioxidant activities.It has been used, historically, for a number of medical conditions without any significant research to support its use. It has been used for asthma, diabetes, atherosclerosis, high cholesterol, retinopathy, and capillary fragility.

Active constituents: The active constituents of quercetin are a number of different bioflavonoids.

Side effects and drug interactions

* There are no known toxicities associated with quercetin

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#11 of 13 Old 12-16-2006, 09:36 AM

Where can I find Quercetin?
My mil has terrible sinus problems, so I would love to find something that would be able to help her out.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#12 of 13 Old 12-16-2006, 10:40 AM

Sudafed is fine if you don't have hypertension or other related issues. I also find that Sudafed use can sometimes result in a rebound congestion effect.

I have horrible sinus problems and I stay on Nasonex (Rx), Mucinex (over the counter) and I use my neti pot twice a day. A wam steam vaporizer at night also helps. If you don't want to mix up the neti pot mixture, you can buy little packets of Sinu Cleanse solution - I found it at Walgreen's.

Good luck!!
#13 of 13 Old 12-16-2006, 10:46 AM

I don't have a neti pot, but I usually fit a big pot with water and boil it, throw either a combination of dried basil and oregano OR peppermint and spearmint from my spice rack, and sit there with my head over the pot with a towel covering my head and the pot (to keep the steam and heat from escaping).

This helps break congestion up and gives you one helluva facial while you're at it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page