Can Club soda and vinegar be mixed safely for cleaning? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-13-2006, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently started using vinegar and baking soda etc. for cleaning. Just got Dr. Bronner's soap y'day, haven't tried it yet.

I read that Club Soda works great for cleaning mirror and shower door but not sure if it'll work on shower walls (tiles) and shower floor (I think same material as tub) and I don't want to keep multiple cleaners to clean shower. I'll more inclined to do it if it's just one spray bottle I have to use to keep the shower clean.

So my question is Can I mix club soda in the vinegar-water-eo mix I have in a spray bottle? Would it be safe? Would it be effective?
I tried googling for this combo but came up with nothing.

TIA
#2 of 5 Old 12-13-2006, 03:21 PM

You could do that if you wanted a one-time application, but I would think that your club soda would go flat in a regular spray bottle over time. But your concern of mixing them - no, no toxic fumes or magical nastiness would occur if you mixed them.

You can keep a diluted vinegar and EO mixture for your mirrors, countertops, and tub. Vinegar tends to eat grout if it's too strong, so I try using OxyClean on my grout in the tub. Works SUPER well on grout. The sealant is another issue, still working to solve that problem with natural stuff. Still having to use Tilex on the sealant strip - it's better than the entire tub though, like I was doing before (major headaches and asthma, ugh! : ).
#3 of 5 Old 12-13-2006, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Apparently club soda going flat is not a problem and doesn't change cleaning strength/property according to the 'Karen Logan' book.

I just couldn't find the info for the mix. not sure what properties & ph the club soda has.
#4 of 5 Old 12-13-2006, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DH, a chemical analyst, doesn't see why not.

"What will you do once you know?"
#5 of 5 Old 12-13-2006, 04:11 PM

Club soda is probably neutral or slightly basic pH. In fact, a lot of club sodas are made with water and some sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). Carbonated water, however, may have an acidic pH.

I'm sure the bubbles (carbon dioxide and hydrogen bubbles) are what blast stains out, like oxygen cleaners do (it's an unstable hydrogen molecule that goes crazy and blasts away stains).

See if it works together great - otherwise you can use them separately. I've heard of people putting baking soda and vinegar together, waiting for the fizz to settle, and then using that solution to clean. Check out the baking soda and vinegar cleaning pages on Frugal living:

http://frugalliving.about.com/cs/tips/a/blbsodavin.htm

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page