Please share your daily facial care routine - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 12-13-2006, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I was just wondering what everyone uses as their daily facial care routine. A friend of mine sells arbonne and sent me samples of the RE facial care regimen. I've used it for three days and it's nice, but it is soooo expensive, even with the discount she is offering me. So, I was wondering what all of you use. I have heard that arbonne is not as, "natural" as it really could be, so I'd love to know what you use and what brands you like. Thanks!
#2 of 21 Old 12-13-2006, 07:21 PM

I have been using arbonne for a little while, and I have heard the same thing. I just haven't done the research to learn more. I started to one day and then got distracted and forgot. I will be very interested to hear from some resident experts!
#3 of 21 Old 12-14-2006, 10:38 AM

Hello there! I've never heard of Arbonne....I think many on here are big fans of honey, myself included. So, I guess my routine is nasabb african black soap and also their unrefined shea. I use a local-ish organic aloe when I want to put something all over my face because the shea can be a bit heavy feeling. When I'm feeling sassy (which is quite often) I use honey as a face wash. Extra sassy is brown sugar and honey. Always followed up by Bragg's ACV and water. The morning routine has now changed to just water, which is a real time saver!

I don't know if that is really what you were after, though....
#4 of 21 Old 12-14-2006, 02:25 PM

I had the same Arbonne experience--friend started selling it, gave me the sample Re kit to try, and I just found it entirely too expensive. Not to mention that I really can't see how layering all those products on your face can really be that helpful.

She's not at all crunchy, but Paula Begoun is my beauty product hero. You can check her site out at www.cosmeticscop.com. She has product reviews for a zillion different brands, and gives you great analysis on what product ingredients actually can and can't do, based on manufacturer claims. She also has her own product line (I know, I know) and I've been using a couple of her things: skin balancing cleanser for oily/combination skin, and 2% BHA solution. My skin has never, ever been so good.

One thing about Arbonne: they really try to sell you on the fact that mineral oil is bad for your skin, and that really isn't true. Check out Paula's site for more info on it.
#5 of 21 Old 12-14-2006, 03:00 PM

There's a lot of people in this site that think petroleum products, including petroleum jelly (Vaseline), and mineral oil (often used in baby oil), are really bad.

I've never had any issues with them, and in fact, find them nice and moisturizing. I haven't use much in a while, but I wouldn't mind slathering it on this winter (baby oil keeps me warm in the winter ) again if I didn't feel that it was horrendous for my health somehow (actually nobody could ever give me a good reason why other than "SHAME, Spazzy! It's a petroleum by-product! What other evidence do you need?!").
#6 of 21 Old 12-15-2006, 04:32 PM

This doesn't talk about the environmental impact of mineral oil, as it is related to petroleum. So I recognize that factor, but take a look at what Paula has to say about it:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/art.asp?ID=178

Quote:
The notion that mineral oil and petrolatum (Vaseline) are bad for skin has been around for some time, with Aveda being the most visible company to mount a crusade deriding these ingredients. According to many companies that produce "natural" cosmetics, mineral oil and petrolatum are terrible ingredients because they come from crude oil (petroleum) and are used in industry as metal-cutting fluid (among other uses) and, therefore, can harm the skin by forming an oil film and suffocating it.

This foolish, recurring misinformation about mineral oil and petrolatum is maddening. After all, crude oil is as natural as any other earth-derived substance. Moreover, lots of ingredients are derived from awful-sounding sources but are nevertheless benign and totally safe. Salt is a perfect example. Common table salt is sodium chloride, composed of sodium and chloride, but salt doesn't have the caustic properties of chloride (a form of chlorine) or the unstable explosiveness of sodium. In fact, it is a completely different compound with the harmful properties of neither of its components.

Cosmetics-grade mineral oil and petrolatum are considered the safest, most nonirritating moisturizing ingredients ever found (Sources: Cosmetics & Toiletries, January 2001, page 79; Cosmetic Dermatology, September 2000, pages 44–46). Yes, they can keep air off the skin to some extent, but that's what a good antioxidant is supposed to do; they don't suffocate skin! Moreover, petrolatum and mineral oil are known for being efficacious in wound healing, and are also considered to be among the most effective moisturizing ingredients available (Source: Cosmetics & Toiletries, February 1998, pages 33–40).
#7 of 21 Old 12-15-2006, 05:07 PM

Yup - there's also misinformation about SLS and Fluoride too, but some people would rather just avoid them altogether. Make no mistake, companies make a fortune off misinformation too.
#8 of 21 Old 12-15-2006, 06:18 PM

I've recently changed to using Juice Beauty ( www.juicebeauty.com/ )

They use organic ingredients and it smells wonderful.

I use their cleansing milk and oil-free moisturizer.
#9 of 21 Old 12-15-2006, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica View Post
Yup - there's also misinformation about SLS and Fluoride too, but some people would rather just avoid them altogether. Make no mistake, companies make a fortune off misinformation too.

Not to thread-jack here, but OMG, you are so right! This is terrible to admit, but I just gave a girlfriend of mine a big Christmas package of beauty stuff I had stocked up for future use and now don't want any more because I love my Oyin and baking soda alternatives so much more!
#10 of 21 Old 12-15-2006, 11:31 PM

Okay, I'm full of stupid questions in my new favorite forum.
What is SLS? :
I've read a lot of stuff here about fluoride. It was rather hair-raising and thought-provoking, but not exactly from legit sounding sources, so I'm still wondering about that.

Anyway, I am now using honey and it seems to be working great. If it doesn't do miracles, it sure cleans my skin and leaves it soft for very little money and with no chemicals. I used to use Cetaphil, though it didn't really do much for me. I used to use Olay moisturizer- anything with spf and nonoily. I also like that Neutrogena acne wash, but am digging honey way more for obvious reasons. Either way I try to keep it simple.
#11 of 21 Old 12-16-2006, 01:37 AM

Daily routine is African Black Soap for first wash, honey for 2nd wash, and follow w/ jojoba for moisture (or unrefined shea if I need more). Other routine during the week are a scrub listed on here, adding bs to honey once a week, followed by diluted acv.
#12 of 21 Old 12-16-2006, 12:20 PM

I'd like to try this African black soap pre-honey, to help get make up off. Where do you buy it? A google search produced a million sellers. I always hate to order online without a recommendation.
#13 of 21 Old 12-17-2006, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica View Post
Yeah, I stopped using Fluoride (not on purpose, but the natural toothpaste that I really like only has it without Fluoride, even though they sell stuff with Fluoride too). After a few weeks of no Fluoride, I got a cavatiy. It was my first cavity ever. Coindidence? Things that make you go hmm...

My facial routine is the oil cleansing method. If I want to exfoliate, I use brown sugar/white sugar with it. If I need to clarify/moisturize with a mask, I use honey. My skin has never looked better.

OT: I just started using corn starch for greasy hair days when I don't feel like showering, and with that, my facial routine, body oils, and no-poo stuff, DH told me the other day to be careful- someone might eat me!

Shannon
#14 of 21 Old 12-18-2006, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie9 View Post
I had the same Arbonne experience--friend started selling it, gave me the sample Re kit to try, and I just found it entirely too expensive. Not to mention that I really can't see how layering all those products on your face can really be that helpful.

She's not at all crunchy, but Paula Begoun is my beauty product hero. You can check her site out at www.cosmeticscop.com. She has product reviews for a zillion different brands, and gives you great analysis on what product ingredients actually can and can't do, based on manufacturer claims. She also has her own product line (I know, I know) and I've been using a couple of her things: skin balancing cleanser for oily/combination skin, and 2% BHA solution. My skin has never, ever been so good.

One thing about Arbonne: they really try to sell you on the fact that mineral oil is bad for your skin, and that really isn't true. Check out Paula's site for more info on it.
Thanks for Paula's link. It was exactly what I was looking for. I have actually read one of her old makeup review books a LONGGGG time ago and I think that to this day, this is why I get so anxious about choosing skin care and makeup products. I am deathly afraid of dept store makeup counter ladies, and just avoid them like the plague, their fakeness and snootiness just really rubs me the wrong way. I did end up getting the arbonne (signed up as a wholesale buyer), and will try that, b/c I'm embarrassed to admit that so far I do not have any type of skin care regimen, besides using some $10 facial cleanser at night and I think that the fact that I have never moisturized my skin (was oily as a teen, and then in my late 20's changed to combination) is starting to catch up to me. I'll continue to research the different brands and natural alternatives and hopefully find one that I like, but use the arbonne in the mean time. It's on the pricier side, but it has actually made a difference with my skin during the five days I had been using the samples, which is better than any other products I have tried (organic, regular drugstore, and some various expensive dept store stuff my mil gave me). So, we'll see what happens. I heard that arbonne's mascara is good, so I'm going to be trying that too, since I cannot find a mascara that doesn't irritate my eyes, and I am one of those ppl who really should wear mascara since I have very thin and very few lashes.
#15 of 21 Old 12-18-2006, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
I'd like to try this African black soap pre-honey, to help get make up off. Where do you buy it? A google search produced a million sellers. I always hate to order online without a recommendation.
You could try http://www.nasabb.com/catalog/sample...8_products.htm

They ship very quickly and are reasonable.
#16 of 21 Old 12-18-2006, 12:25 PM

i've been doing the honey first and then the black soap and then toning with acv.......is this the appropriate order?
#17 of 21 Old 12-18-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendly fire View Post
i've been doing the honey first and then the black soap and then toning with acv.......is this the appropriate order?
I do the black soap, then the honey if I'm so inclined, then the acv. In my mind the black soap would wash off all the honey yummy goodness. Also I read on here that the acv will help return your skin to it's desired ph level after washing. It also seems to help with any drying or tightness caused by the washing. But probably the order isn't that big of a deal
#18 of 21 Old 12-18-2006, 02:35 PM

thanks mollybeesmama......using the soap first and honey second WILL leave some yummy goodness....good idea, since i think the black soap leaves a vomitous smell on my face......
#19 of 21 Old 12-18-2006, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendly fire View Post
thanks mollybeesmama......using the soap first and honey second WILL leave some yummy goodness....good idea, since i think the black soap leaves a vomitous smell on my face......

hahahahaha You said "vomitous".
It does have a smell about it, but I guess I've gotten used to it b/c I don't ever even notice it anymore.
#20 of 21 Old 12-18-2006, 10:47 PM

I wash with honey and thar's it. i used to be a product junkie (i sell avon) but honey is all i need!
nak
#21 of 21 Old 12-19-2006, 09:48 PM

I use a natural soap in the mornings and at night, followed by pure aloe-vera gel. If I am breaking out, I use tea-tree oil or if I'm dry I use facial oil from mountain rose herbs.

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page