Help - Yeast Infection and Laundry - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-17-2006, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 35 weeks pregnant and suspect I have the beginnings of a yeast infection.

1) Any suggestions for how to naturally combat the yeast infection when pregnant, and more importantly......

2)how to best launder my clothes to avoid a re-infection?

3) Also....how much acidophilus is safe to take when pregnant and breastfeeding, to prevent future yeast infections.

Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 12-17-2006, 01:33 PM

1) definitely yogurt and probiotics.
2) I would think that just laundering with baking soda and vinegar in hot water and then running in a hot dryer would be more than enough to kill any yeast. I suspect what you are experiencing is an internal problem anyway, and not an issue with outside contamination of some type.
3) contact your dr and midwife about this to be sure, but I think you can just take a normal dose. Probiotics stay in the gut, as far as I know they don't enter the bloodstream or cross the placenta in any way. I was told by a health clerk once that the worst thing that will happen if you take too much probiotics is that you will be gassy for a day and then you know to reduce your dose.
HTH good luck!!!!!!

Namaste,

Michelle

Ps... forgot to add that wearing cotton only panties, or no panties at all, especially at night, will help too. The drier you can keep that area, the faster it will heal.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#3 of 8 Old 12-17-2006, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Michelle - are probiotics and acidophilus the same thing? Any suggestions for dosage during pregnancy / breastfeeding?

P.S. I thought we were not supposed to mix baking soda and vinegar?

Thanks again.
#4 of 8 Old 12-18-2006, 07:10 PM

Acidophilus is just one type of probiotic. When you get a good probiotic blend it contains many different types to cover the broad spectrum of beneficial bacteria in the gut.For example, the brand I take has acidophilus, rhamnosus, casei, plantarum, B. longum and B. breve. These other types are not normally something you would find in keifer milk or yogurt, you have to buy the probiotic blend to get them.
As for the dosage, I would check with a health food store clerk ( that's where you're going to have to go to get a good blend anyways) and see what they say, or contact your PCP. I would guess the dose would be the same as a non-pregnant adult, which for the brand I take is 1-3 capsules per day.
How I do my laundry is this, I put the baking soda in the bottom of the washer and add the water, then put in the clothes and then use a downy ball filled with vinegar that sits on top of the clothes. The baking soda is rinsed away by the second rinse which is when the downy ball releases the vinegar, so I would imagine that there is no contact between the two that would nuetralize the two agents, one starts at the beginning and one comes in at the end, KWIM?
Just out of curiosity, let me know if pregnant women should be taking a different dose than non-pregnant adults, I would like to know the answer to that myself. :

Namaste,

Michelle

#5 of 8 Old 01-07-2007, 05:16 AM

: Its a bit of an overkill, but I also ironed my underwear (after washing )while I had an active infection while pregnant with my last babe. I just wanted to be *really* sure I was not going to have a yeast imbalance at my birth...we've been through thrush before

ps) What brand do you use Michelle? It sounds like a good mix!
#6 of 8 Old 01-07-2007, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've ironed undies while dealing with vaginal yeast infections too.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#7 of 8 Old 01-07-2007, 04:40 PM

The brand I use is jarro-dophilus by Jarrow formulas. I have used this for years with really great results. They make smaller travel packs too, which is nice to try them out with and see if you like it rather than spending $20 on the regular bottle and then get stuck with something that doesn't work for your body type.
I had never even though about ironing the undies, but I am sure that it works. nothing can survive heat that strong.

Namaste,

Michelle

#8 of 8 Old 01-08-2007, 12:23 AM

I love the ironing the undies! I'll keep that in mind

If your infection has taken hold and the yogurt/probiotic mix isn't proving enough you can also use a whole, peeled (un-nicked) clove of garlic inserted overnight in your yoni. I've never had to do this myself (I'm usually good at heading it off at the pass, so to speak ) but it's referenced in The Natural Pregnancy book by Aviva Jill Romm. Great book for all kinds of remedies, if you need a bound resource! She's a midwife and an herbalist so she knows of what she speaks! good luck!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).

User Tag List