Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Natural Body Care (http://www.mothering.com/forum/11-natural-body-care/)
-   -   what's something easy to start with? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/11-natural-body-care/582300-what-s-something-easy-start.html)

aweynsayl 12-24-2006 06:43 PM

I want to simplify/natura-fy/etc... my beauty routine.

What are some basic easy things to get me started?

tia!

solidcitizqueen 12-24-2006 10:56 PM

Mine went from complex to cheap and easy, w/ a little helpful suggestions from MDC to make my routine the best perfect ever!

Washes: 1. African black soap (from a seller on Ebay for under $4 that will last MONTHS for your face) 2. Honey as a second wash. (both daily).

Scrubs: 1. add baking soda to the honey once a week and follow w/ diluted apple cider vinegar. 2. Oat flour, sea salt, and corn meal scrub one other day per week.

Masks: Raw unfiltered honey for an hour once a week.

Moisturize: Jojoba oil for light/daily. Unrefined shea for extra moisture.

For under $30 or so, I have enough "goods" for my skin to last 6 months, with the exception of having to buy more honey because I use it for my hair too.

LLLOOOOOOVE MDC!

Mamma Christi 12-24-2006 11:13 PM

First of all, I highly suggest honey as a facial wash - it works wonders. For scrubbing I tend to use brown sugar in some honey.

AntoninBeGonin 01-20-2007 01:47 AM

This started out a great thread. Anybody want to add anything?

FTR, I've started washing my face with honey, too! It's great.

~Nay

cottontail 01-20-2007 11:26 AM

How about unrefined shea butter? Or coconut oil from the kitchen? Both do double duty as lip balm for me.

SusannahM 01-20-2007 02:20 PM

I've started just washing my face with water on a washcloth. The washcloth exfoliates the proper amount for me. My skin has never been this well-behaved. I've begun moisturizing with Crisco because someone else on here suggested it in a thread, and when I was doing research for my one remaining problem, which is a little bit of blotchiness in my skin, I found that soy was one thing that really helped that. Crisco's got a lot of soy oil, and it has been helping quite a bit. I moisturize about every other night.

I still haven't worked out a great routine for my hair. Baking soda was making it weird feeling, like oil that had dried out. I tried all the suggestions I could find here. My husband has gone to just ACV rinse, and it's worked great for him, so I tried that last time, but there's still too much oil (although the texture is a little bit better). I think I might need to go to a natural shampoo bar and ACV rinse with my hair. I can't say that's simpler than what I was doing in the past, though!

For deodorant, I use just baking soda and it works WONDERFULLY. I just rub the powder under my armpits.

rootzdawta 01-29-2007 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidcitizqueen View Post
Mine went from complex to cheap and easy, w/ a little helpful suggestions from MDC to make my routine the best perfect ever!

Washes: 1. African black soap (from a seller on Ebay for under $4 that will last MONTHS for your face) 2. Honey as a second wash. (both daily).

Scrubs: 1. add baking soda to the honey once a week and follow w/ diluted apple cider vinegar. 2. Oat flour, sea salt, and corn meal scrub one other day per week.

Masks: Raw unfiltered honey for an hour once a week.

Moisturize: Jojoba oil for light/daily. Unrefined shea for extra moisture.

For under $30 or so, I have enough "goods" for my skin to last 6 months, with the exception of having to buy more honey because I use it for my hair too.

LLLOOOOOOVE MDC!

Could you please tell me how much you dilute the a/c vinegar? I just wrote your whole routine down and I'm excited to try it. Thanks for sharing!

Mom2fiya 01-29-2007 11:49 PM

I use honey as a face wash 2x's a day, in the morning I spritz my face with rose water to help spread the honey. Diluted ACV (I use 1/3 cup to 3 cups water) for a toner and use it in my hair before I wash it. I use coconut oil as a make up remover, moisterizer and deodorant followed up with a sprinkling of baking soda. Have fun! Honey and milk is another great combo on the face