#1 of 30 Old 12-29-2006, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#2 of 30 Old 12-29-2006, 05:57 AM

Even if they can't live off you, but it seems they could, the eggs can lay dormant for up to a year waiting for food.

I don't know how toxic the bombs are, but we have used them when we had the same problem (no pet but a HUGE flea breakout). We tried natural things but nothing works (fleas can hold their breaths like many other insects- spiders included).

I would just go the bomb route which stay in the carpet for awhile and keep vacuming and washing your fabric items.

I so hate this for you!
#3 of 30 Old 12-29-2006, 07:01 AM

Uhg! I really feel for you. We moved in to a new house and had two cats inside for about a week right after we moved in (very long and confusing story about the cats). About three weeks after the cats were gone we had an infestation of fleas. This lasted for at least 2 months. It was horrible. There's a 6 mo baby living in our house so we didn't want to use a nasty bomb, and heard that they don't work at lot of the time anyway. We would vacume at least twice a day, covered the floor in borax overnight 3-4 times a week, washed all bedding and the couch pillow covers often (bedding almost daily, couch pillow covers once a week or so), used lights and soapy water, tried a "less-toxic/nasty" spray for quite a while and nothing worked. The borax treatments would seem to diminish the fleas, but they'd be back before long. Finaly what acctualy worked was we had to move an outdoor dog inside and treated her with frontline. Within a week the fleas were gone. My theory is that the fleas were attracted to the animal and were then totaly wiped out by the frontline. Is there anyway you could borrow a freinds pet for a week or two?
Good luck getting rid of them! Maybe some of the things we tried will acctualy work for you. I sure hope so! I persoaly wouldn't use a bomb with young children in the house. Way to toxic for my taste.
#4 of 30 Old 12-29-2006, 07:49 AM

We were not in the house while the bomb was active. It was over a three day weekend and we stayed with Mark's mom. That is the only way I would use a bomb. When we returned we washed EVERYTHING that Kailey would touch (bedding, couch covers, countertops, EVERYTHING.

If all else fails, like it did for us(using borax, etc) then use the bomb (IMO) and vacate the house for a few days while the fumes are strong and active.

We now have two cats indoors who are treated monthly with Advantage and have not had any fleas. The cats came a couple of years after the infestation.
#5 of 30 Old 12-29-2006, 12:04 PM

Arm and Hammer makes a Pet Fresh carpet freshener. It has baking soda and essential oils that kill/deter fleas. You can sprinkle that all over your carpet and see if that works to kill fleas and then yes, try the flea bomb. Cover or wash any bedding and put away any open food items (like fruit) behind a cupboard. Leave the house!

I haven't used borax, but it's not pet (or baby) safe, so I don't use it in my apartment.
#6 of 30 Old 12-29-2006, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

#7 of 30 Old 12-29-2006, 04:19 PM

I've used a flea bomb from PetSmart before and it got rid of fleas in my house. I did leave the house for a day though while it was 'bombing'.

I'm sure it's some sort of flea neurotoxin - so it can penetrate eggs as well. After use, you should air out the house and wipe down any counters or surfaces that you eat off of or sleep on.
#8 of 30 Old 12-29-2006, 04:32 PM

Here are the ingredients of the Arm and Hammer Pet Fresh if you'd like to see them:

Ingredients:
Sodium Bicarbonate 98%
Kaolin (which I know is clay) 1.6%

So that's 99.6 percent of the product. The other ingredients are:
Geraniol 0.288%
Rosemary Oil 0.036%
Cedar Oil 0.026%
and less than 0.025% of each of the following:
Geranium Oil, Citronella Oil, Lemongrass Oil, Cinnamon Oil, Mint Oil.

I found a link that tells a little bit about what certain essential oils do to repel or kill fleas and other pests:

http://www.wingnet.net/~organicsol/organic.htm

You can make your own at home if you'd like - put a lot of these essential oils in baking soda (shake the mixture and let it sit overnight to absorb all the oils -- apply the next day or so).
#9 of 30 Old 01-07-2007, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

#10 of 30 Old 01-07-2007, 05:20 PM

Diatomaceous earth and borax are the same thing (just incase you didn't know, sorry if you did!). You should be able to get pet/human grade borax that is safe if ingested (it's reccomended use on animals is to actually rub it into their fur, then brush it out a day later).

Borax should be brushed into carpets, left for 24 hours and then vacuumed up. Repeat once a week if you're still seeing fleas. Other things to try: go buy some flea collars (but NEVER use them on your pets! those things are toxic!) cut it up while wearing rubber gloves and put into your vacuum. Vacuum house and IMMEDIATELY empty all contents outside. Just vacuuming alone won't kill the fleas that are sucked up. They'll be stunned, but recover and will just crawl right out of the vacuum again. The cut up flea collar helps kill them and immdiate disposal outside means that any that do survive are at least outside of your house. Vacuum once a day to keep getting the new fleas that are hatching.

Honestly, when we had a bad flea infestation, the only thing that worked was to throw out anything that the fleas could be living in. We were lucky in that they were contained to our cat room (don't know how that happened, but thank god!) and we had hardwood floors so there wasn't too much to throw out.

We even bombed, but a week later, they were back, just as bad as before. After we tossed all the bedding and pretty much scrubbed the room down with bleach and water (and had the cats on advantage for 3 months with no outside time AT ALL) then they were finally gone.

Good luck. I hate fleas. I realize that every living creature is here for a reason and contributes in some way to the earth, but man, I can't see anything good about fleas and there was nothing more satisfying than finally killing all of those little buggers.

~Julia
#11 of 30 Old 01-07-2007, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

#12 of 30 Old 01-10-2007, 10:08 PM

I think it does. We always washed anything we could in hot water, dried on high heat. They did come back, but there were items in the room we couldn't wash, so it was hard to tell where they were coming back from, yk?

Also, depending on where you live, fleas die/go dormant in cold weather. Don't know if you could spend a weekend away and turn the heat off, and while gone launder what you can, then come back and vacuum the bejesuz out of the place before you raise the heat? Don't even know if it would work, but around here the fleas all die by about Nov. (and it doesn't get that cold here!)

~Julia
#13 of 30 Old 01-11-2007, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

#14 of 30 Old 01-11-2007, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbandj View Post
We are going to leave for the weekend, and brush borax all over the carpets before we leave. So far I think there are just fleas in our bed, but that is the only place I get bitten. I put the flea collar in the vacuum, it seems to be helping bring down the adult population. Gah I am going nuts here

I REALLY sympathize!
#15 of 30 Old 01-26-2007, 04:58 PM

Gah, now I have fleas here and I don't even have pets either! I think DSS must have brought them over from their cat when he was sleeping over a lot over here while we were away...

We don't even have a carpet or a vacuum. I really, really do not want to use a flea bomb. I guess I'm going to hope they can't live off of me (they seem not to bite DH) and die off...? And also we were planning to get a kitten anyway so if/when that happens, we would treat the kitten with advantage and hopefully like a PP said they would be attracted to her/him and die.

They are incredibly unpleasant bites though, that's for sure. Thank goodness for witchazel!
#16 of 30 Old 01-26-2007, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

#17 of 30 Old 01-26-2007, 10:48 PM

I'm hoping that I could treat the cat on a regular basis, and then as the eggs hatch they just get killed. Basically there will always be some exposure to flea eggs with us because the Skids' cat gets them and is an outdoor cat and I don't think they keep up with Advantage 100%.

What's weird is I have never seen fleas in my life even though I have been around flea-bitten animals often enough. I know isn't it annoying when one's partner doesn't ever get it?

Witchazel just reduces the inflammation so it gets it to stop itching. It takes a few minutes to start working though. Sometimes it lasts for a long time sometimes not... depends where the bite is and if the area gets touched a lot. I also have an anti-bite thing that is mainly ammonia (ick), sometimes one works better sometimes the other.

I wonder if we could borrow the Skids' cat, treat him with Advantage, and keep him around here for a couple days, if that would do the trick?! I'll be desperate soon...

I'm also thinking of spraying myself with water and lavendar+citronella eo before bed.
#18 of 30 Old 01-26-2007, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

#19 of 30 Old 02-05-2007, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

#20 of 30 Old 02-05-2007, 05:21 PM

I don't know if this would work, but I know that tea tree oil works for lice. Maybe it would work for fleas too?
#21 of 30 Old 02-07-2007, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

#22 of 30 Old 02-07-2007, 01:19 AM

Aw bummer! And there's no way to convince your parents to lend you there dog? Do you know why? Because a animal treated with frontline or advantage really might fix your problem.... I know it fixed mine when nothing else would.
Good luck regardless! I REALLY know your pain!
#23 of 30 Old 02-07-2007, 11:26 AM

Here's what worked for us. We have three cats. One had fleas when we got her, but didn't realize it 'til we were home. We had been using frontline on the cats, but at the end of hte month, the fleas came back. Basically, the fleas jumped off the cats when we put the frontline on, and then they jumped back on once the frontline wore off. Frontline for three cats every month was really adding up!

So one month we put frontline on the cats, vacuumed, and sprayed the carpet with a Raid Flea something. That worked.

Aven
#24 of 30 Old 02-10-2007, 04:14 AM

Eeeeeewwwwwwwww! I just saw one for the first time in my life. And it had just bitten me five times on my wrist! This after I took a bath to get rid of three previous bites.

Does anyone know how long fleas can live without an animal host? I'm wondering if DSS just brought over a new batch. In which case, it would be no use using borax or a flea bomb. Maybe we could ask his mom to put new advantage on the cat and keep up with it regularly... maybe even buy the stuff for her... and then DSS would stop bringing them over.

ARGH! Seeing fleas is not okay!
#25 of 30 Old 02-13-2007, 03:51 PM

Sigh...we're having huge flea issues at the moment, too.

Borax is Diatemaceous Earth?!? Could that be right? It doesn't sound right to me. Perhaps it does a similar thing but they are not the same, are they?

Okay, I just went and looked it up. It's not the same as DE. I'm guessing that the PP meant it does the same thing, which I don't think is completely accurate either.

Here's the Wiki entry link.

One thing I noted, which I'm kicking myself for not having checked this out before...
Quote:
Boric acid, sodium borate, and sodium perborate are estimated to have a fatal dose from 0.1 to 0.5g/kg. [1] These substances are toxic to all cells, and have a slow excretion rate through the kidneys. Kidney toxicity is the greatest, with liver fatty degeneration, cerebral edema, and gastroenteritis. Boric acid solutions used as an eye wash or on abraded skin are known to be especially toxic to infants, especially after repeated use due to its slow elimination rate.
I mistakenly thought borax was completely harmless....sigh.... then again, I don't have any infants in the house and I'm not putting the borax on any of my family members....but still! I might stop using borax entirely...
#26 of 30 Old 02-20-2007, 07:44 PM

Just want to say, I've started putting drops of lavender eo on our bed, on the bottom sheet. When I do this I don't get any bites.
#27 of 30 Old 02-21-2007, 04:49 PM

We had a flea infestation last summer, despite our cats being treated. The vet and the exterminators I talked to said that insect infestations in and around buildings have gotten out of control in the last few years. Even people with no pets are getting fleas in their homes.

I ended up getting this spray at the vet's office. It was about $30, much less than a professional service, and it said on the can you only had to leave the house for a couple hours (I sent the baby to my milo for the entire day though). They told me bombs really basically coat everything with chemicals that are really not good for you, and then you just have to clean everything. By using the spray you can focus it on the areas where the fleas tend to congregate the most and you don't have to wash everything you own. It is supposed to last 6 months.

I'll try to remember the name...I am envisioning a tall aeresol type can with black and pink/dark red. Basically you spray it in all corners of the room and on any soft surfaces you can't put into the washing machine. I have a bagless vacuum too and they told me to spray inside the canister and as far into to hose as I could.

So I vacuumed everything, including the couch and our mattresses, washed all the hardwood floors, and washed all of our bedding, and then sprayed all the furniture, the carpet, and along the baseboards. It worked immediately. But if you can believe it we now have fleas AGAIN, this in the middle of winter in Maine! I have been shutting off the unused rooms and letting them freeze, and vacuuming every day and then putting the vacuum cleaner outside for several hours, but I think I'm going to have to get that spray again.

I am so super sensitive to them, but they don't bother dh or the boys at all. so of course dh doesn't think it is as big a deal as I do :

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#28 of 30 Old 02-21-2007, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

#29 of 30 Old 05-24-2007, 04:19 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbandj View Post
I wish I could sue someone--I literally have 100s of bite scars. They look horrible and I will probably never wear shorts again. The flea population is way down after FleaBusters came in--got a bite yesterday but it will take 5 weeks for them all to go away. What a nightmare.
This is fairly old thread, but I feel for you. I started getting bitten several days ago but didn't know what it was. I knew what it WASN'T (mosquitoes, etc.) since I had been bitten by other things im times past and knew what those bites looked like, and these were different.

I did a search somewhere and on one of these posts or something it said that flea bites are tiny raised red areas that itch. Well, that's what I have several dozen of.

Anyway I did a search on the forums and found lots of helpful information. So far DH and DD only have a few bites each, and I'm the only one that's suffering.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products 9/1/14! Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#30 of 30 Old 05-24-2007, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page