Pre-made natural Shampoos?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2007, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure someone has posted this somewhere already, but I've been searching and haven't found it yet! I'm trying to find some kind of pre-made natural shampoo that I can buy for my family. My husband is NOT a very "crunchy" kind of guy, and I don't think I can get him to no-poo, and my dd has a hard enough time washing her hair well as it is, so I don't see that as being a good alternative for her right now either. Are their commercially available products, or is there a good WAHP out there who has something pre-made for sale? Or if there is a good recipe for something I can make at home that will be stable and work more or less like store-bought shampoo I would appreciate that info too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2007, 10:06 AM

I love the shampoo bars from Ida at Chagrin Valley. They are all-natural, homemade, inexpensive, and simply packaged. They are also shipped really quickly, so ordering when you're about to run out isn't a problem. Plus, Ida is just really nice and friendly. You can order sample sizes of anything you're interested in. The samples last me quite a while and I have waist length hair.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:00 AM

jessicurl.com has some really nice products and they try to keep the ingredients low-tech. I've enjoyed using some of their stuff and you don't have to have curly hair to use their basic products.

Shampoo bars are what I use, you need to be willing to follow your wash with a rinse for best results - for dh and dd you would probably have best luck with a lemon rinse instead of acv - a very dilute mixture is all you need (I use about an ounce or two in a 32oz bottle, filled up the rest of the way with water).
Old 01-05-2007, 01:08 PM

Aubrey Organics has wonderful 100% natural shampoos and conditioners!!! In fact, their shampoos are soap and not detergent based, so just an apple cider vinegar rinse for most days would do without using conditioner Your non-crunchy dh probably would not even notice he was being crunchy as their bottles are not so different from regular brands
Old 01-05-2007, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

: Keep 'em coming! :
Old 01-05-2007, 05:20 PM

i like burts bees, and also the aubrey organics as well

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
Old 01-05-2007, 05:23 PM

my favorite's are aubrey & aveda

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 01-05-2007, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
My partner uses Nature's Gate herbal shampoo. It's plant-based but just like conventional shampoo, and it smells wonderful!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Old 01-06-2007, 08:01 PM

I use Dr Bronner's as shampoo. My hair tends to get dry, and this is very mild and doesn't "strip" my hair.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:08 PM

I like Avalon Organics.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
Old 01-06-2007, 11:16 PM

JASON also makes some. I've found drugstore.com to be a nice place to browse and read reviews before shopping locally.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 01-08-2007, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico DeMouse View Post
I love the shampoo bars from Ida at Chagrin Valley. They are all-natural, homemade, inexpensive, and simply packaged. They are also shipped really quickly, so ordering when you're about to run out isn't a problem. Plus, Ida is just really nice and friendly. You can order sample sizes of anything you're interested in. The samples last me quite a while and I have waist length hair.
Oooh! Those look yummy! I'm going to order some and try them out. Thanks for the link!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
Old 01-08-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post
Oooh! Those look yummy! I'm going to order some and try them out. Thanks for the link!
You'll love them. I gave a bunch of her soaps as Christmas presents and have gotten raves from everyone.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:22 PM

My DH & daughter have been using Avalon Organics Nourishing Lavendar shampoo. They love it (other DD & I no-poo). They ran out & the store was out of it, so I bought Jason's. What do you guys think of Jason's? IT has a few nore ingredients, which I am leary of, and the scent smells more synthetic than Avalon-it is also lavander. We haven't used it yet, so I don't know how it feels. Any comments or advice?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:16 AM

the skin deep website, something like www.ewg.org/skindeep, lists safe poo's. i go there anytime i'm looking for a new product.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:46 PM

I've noticed on other threads that some people use vinegar to wash their hair. Anyone have experience with this? How much do you use? Does it leave your hair feeling normal?

ALso, what do you "no-poo" people do, just rinse your hair in water?

Thanks!

Mama to 8 yo ds and 4 yo dd.treehugger.gifhomeschool.gifjumpers.gifbellyhair.gif
Old 01-09-2007, 05:55 PM

Greenmama - I went from no-poo using bs to using shampoo bars, and always rinse with a very dilute acv or lemon rinse. Its job is primarily to bring the hair's pH back to normal and smooth the hair shaft, which is necessary when using an alkaline cleansing substance like bs or soap. I put a half inch in the bottom of a 32 oz bottle and saturate my hair with it after I have rinsed the suds out. I do a final light rinse in clear water, unless my scalp is itchy or flaky and then I'll often leave the rinse in. My hair is strong and shiny, and I have fewer split ends than ever in my life. I've been using this method for over two years now.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velcromom View Post
Greenmama - I went from no-poo using bs to using shampoo bars, and always rinse with a very dilute acv or lemon rinse. Its job is primarily to bring the hair's pH back to normal and smooth the hair shaft, which is necessary when using an alkaline cleansing substance like bs or soap. I put a half inch in the bottom of a 32 oz bottle and saturate my hair with it after I have rinsed the suds out. I do a final light rinse in clear water, unless my scalp is itchy or flaky and then I'll often leave the rinse in. My hair is strong and shiny, and I have fewer split ends than ever in my life. I've been using this method for over two years now.
Thanks for your reply, but pardon my ignorance...

What's bs? What's acv?

Thanks

Mama to 8 yo ds and 4 yo dd.treehugger.gifhomeschool.gifjumpers.gifbellyhair.gif
Old 01-10-2007, 08:28 PM

bs = baking soda
acv = apple cider vinegar
Old 01-11-2007, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgilleran@earth-co View Post
My DH & daughter have been using Avalon Organics Nourishing Lavendar shampoo. They love it (other DD & I no-poo). They ran out & the store was out of it, so I bought Jason's. What do you guys think of Jason's? IT has a few nore ingredients, which I am leary of, and the scent smells more synthetic than Avalon-it is also lavander. We haven't used it yet, so I don't know how it feels. Any comments or advice?
I have used both and I agree with you. Avalon is much nicer smelling. I don't mind the Jason products, but I prefer Avalon.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
Old 01-11-2007, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavery View Post
I use Dr Bronner's as shampoo. My hair tends to get dry, and this is very mild and doesn't "strip" my hair.
Same here, but I dilute it half and half with a strong "tea" made from green tea, rosemary and sage and then some MSM disolved in the end. I keep it in an old rootbeer bottle with a liquor pour spout on it. Then just pour it on my head i nthe shower. I make a larger batch of the "tea and store it i nthe fridge, just mix up enough for a week or so.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I really like Giovanni shampoo and conditioners. For me, they're the best natural hair care products I've used.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico DeMouse View Post
You'll love them. I gave a bunch of her soaps as Christmas presents and have gotten raves from everyone.
My order is placed! I'll be back once I've tried them to let you all know how they are.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
Old 01-12-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post
My order is placed! I'll be back once I've tried them to let you all know how they are.
That's awesome! I was just thinking today that I need to place another shampoo bar order...
Old 01-13-2007, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info. I'm gonna order some of the shampoo bars for me and I got some of the Aubrey shampoo for DH and we'll see how he likes it...
Old 01-13-2007, 06:06 PM

Another vote for Giovanni.

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
Old 01-17-2007, 06:08 PM

I use Terressentials organic hair wash. My hair hasn't been this soft since grade school. However, you cannot put anything on your hair (hairspray, gel etc.) because this stuff takes all of that stuff off and it would defeat the purpose if you use the shampoo and then put chemicals back on your hair.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Put apple cider vinegar in a container such as an empty, clean, family-size yogurt tub. I use about 3/4 cup ACV for my thick, mid-back-length hair.

Optional: Add a drop or two of tea tree essential oil to prevent dandruff. Add a drop or two of other compatible-smelling essential oil (I use orange) to make hair smell nice.

Set container within reach of shower.

Wet hair very thoroughly with the hottest water you can tolerate, and massage scalp. I like to use a ventilated brush (the kind that has slots thru the back of the brush between rows of bristles) to pull the water thru my hair and loosen oil from my scalp.

Add hot water, roughly equal in volume to the ACV, to the container. Hold up some of your hair with fingers, pour some of the mixture onto your scalp, and rub it in. Do the same with each area of your head.

Massage scalp and run fingers or brush thru hair to distribute oils down the hair shaft. A lot of the oil will come off onto the shower floor (watch your step!!) and the rest will coat and condition your hair.

Let it soak in for a few minutes while you wash other body parts. DO NOT shave, as vinegar will sting freshly shaved skin!

Rinse thoroughly. Hair will feel slippery and smell vinegary, but these things go away as it dries.

Put damp hair into desired arrangement (barrettes, etc.) and let it air-dry.

I love this!! I can wash my hair about 1/3 as often as I did with shampoo! My hair looks shiny and doesn't frizz much, without the leave-in conditioner I used to "need", and it smells fresh even if I've been in a smoky place.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Old 01-18-2007, 08:40 PM

My DH loves Tom's of Maine shampoo. And he is far from crunchy! He is a yuppy.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:32 AM

I just came across this thread . I have been using IDA's shampoo bars and soap bars for about 6 weeks . I am a convert. All natural products, soft clean hair, no chemicals in your hair . Couldn't be better.
The trick is to lather really well , I lather and rinse 3 times and finish with a ACV rinse made with 50ml of acv and 1 litre of warm water I pour it over and leave it in.
The ACV smells while wet then when dry no smell. Some people rinse there's out.
I also now use there whipped shea butter as a leave in.
I don't use any conditioner so now I have no chemicals in my hair.
I have also started using them on my children's hair and their is soft and clean too and I like the fact they have no chemicals in their hair too.

User Tag List