Coconut Oil Praises! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 01-19-2007, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica View Post
I started out doing my pit-scrub with baking soda, rinsing with water, and spraying ACV on my pits, then rinsing and then getting out of the shower and applying a good glob of coconut oil on my armpits. I don't have to scrub everyday now, but I do it from time to time to keep everything fresh and bacteria free.

It's great!
Do you use straight ACV for your pit spray?

~Nay

Reneé, 33 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 nocirc.gif and Arianna 9/06 gd.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 blowkiss.gif.  TTC a little rainbow rainbow1284.gifchartnew.gif http://www.FertilityFriend.com/home/4e4ac9 Currently in the 2WW 
#32 of 52 Old 01-20-2007, 04:16 PM

Yep... I've been using coconut oil on my face as a moisturizer for a WHILE. Right out of the shower, while my face and neck are still wet I put some on. I keep some in a dropper bottle in the bathroom. Best moisturizer I've found yet!
#33 of 52 Old 01-21-2007, 04:41 PM

I like this thread!

Question about using CO as deodorant - would refined CO work too? That was the only kind I found at the HFS here. I'll probably order some unrefined online, but I have the refined at home, and if that works, that would be nice.
#34 of 52 Old 01-21-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma,mia View Post
Thanks, just sent them a request! Can't wait to try it!
Do you have to pay for something ? Because it say's to enter your credit card number or paypal ?? If yes how much is it ??
Thanks !
#35 of 52 Old 01-21-2007, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoninBeGonin View Post
Do you use straight ACV for your pit spray?

~Nay
Gina (Spastica) is gone from the boards for a while, so I'll reply for her! She keeps a spray bottle of water/ACV (50:50 ratio) in the shower!

Shannon
#36 of 52 Old 01-21-2007, 11:47 PM

She can't leave! She is the reigning acv/bs queen of this forum! Someone said in the honey thread that coconut oil is comedogenic. Is this true? I'm a leeeetle afraid to venture using it on my face.

I'm gonna try it as deo though. I've been using "natural" deodorant which is about as effective as just not bathing at all. Good thing my kitchen is close to my bathroom. I need to get more spray bottles, containers to keep the stuff in. I dont' like my wc looking like a baking area.
#37 of 52 Old 01-22-2007, 01:18 AM

I learn so much from you ladies!! My dh actually got off the couch and came over to see what I was reading...Anyway, I originally bought CO to cook with and it is really great with popcorn. Now I use it from head to toe, and to cook with...and I found another use I'll be trying a bit later
#38 of 52 Old 01-22-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
She can't leave! She is the reigning acv/bs queen of this forum! Someone said in the honey thread that coconut oil is comedogenic. Is this true? I'm a leeeetle afraid to venture using it on my face.

I'm gonna try it as deo though. I've been using "natural" deodorant which is about as effective as just not bathing at all. Good thing my kitchen is close to my bathroom. I need to get more spray bottles, containers to keep the stuff in. I dont' like my wc looking like a baking area.

Don't worry- Gina will be back!

I've read both things about coconut oil- that it IS comedogenic and that it is NOT comedogenic. I can't seem to find actual factual info regarding either statement. I will keep trying to research and get back to you.

Shannon
#39 of 52 Old 01-23-2007, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica View Post
The coconut oil is antibacterial to a degree and is slightly drying to skin. In fact, some people might find coconut oil feels 'pulling' to their skin, not dry per se, but it pulls a little or may not be emollient enough for winter. You can add some olive oil during winter months if that makes you uncomfortable.
I eat coconut oil for all the health benefits!.... But, when I applied to to my face my face got very dry and chapped after just a few days! Maybe I will try the olive oil coconut oil mix.

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#40 of 52 Old 01-23-2007, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegirl View Post
What I need to know is where to get the good stuff. Whole Foods? I'm always looking for an excuse to go there. Do I get it in the baking aisle? Or in the lotion aisle?
I order organic unrefined from mountain rose herbs. I get the 1 gallon size for a great price...I think even with shipping included it was 1/4 the cost of the health food store per oz!

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#41 of 52 Old 01-23-2007, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bought some unrefined virgin coconut oil at the health food store yesterday! I am going to start using it as deoderant, maybe in my hair, on my face.

Anyone know if it is ok to use with cloth diapers for diaper rash on DD? As in won't stick to the cloth and ruin it/ make it less absorbant? I have never used a diaper rash cream, just air.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#42 of 52 Old 01-23-2007, 05:12 PM

I get mine from www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com. I love their coconut oil. They have the high-quality raw with the enzymes intact, but they also have a non-raw one that I use for cooking and body care. $95 for 5 gallons is an awesome deal.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#43 of 52 Old 02-02-2007, 09:46 PM

OK, so I finally got out and bought some Coconut oil. My whole purpose in buying it was to use it for "intimacy" if you know what I mean.

I get a burning sensation, and feel swollen, sore, and itchy when we use other lubes....even Astroglide that many poeple rave about. I was curious to see how Coconut oil would be!

I AM IN LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the first time, EVER, I have felt "normal" after doing the deed. It has such a nice, non-sticky, and soft texture with absolutely NO burning, NO itchiness, NO swelling! I highly recommend!

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#44 of 52 Old 02-05-2007, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I am sooo glad that I stumbled upon this thread! I am definitely investing in some coconut oil, pronto! I have been thinking about asking about a natural lubricant, but I always forget by the time I get around to getting to the computer. Breastfeeding has made me very dry, and 15 mos later I am still healing from a silly tear that just won't give it up (it's more like a rugburn), so I need all the help I can get!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK_Mama View Post
I get a burning sensation, and feel swollen, sore, and itchy when we use other lubes....even Astroglide that many poeple rave about.
Me too, but I've always assumed that it's just from my tear that needs to heal. Now I'm wondering if it's the Astroglide. I guess I'll find out soon!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#45 of 52 Old 02-05-2007, 07:25 PM

I've used coconut oil that way before too. It worked very well... but it was a little weird to be so moisturized afterwards, if you know what I mean! I've also just used a splash of water
#46 of 52 Old 02-05-2007, 07:31 PM
p.s

luv it. use it for ds' massage after his bath every night. immensely helps his eczema. sometimes i put a drop into my latte.
#47 of 52 Old 02-05-2007, 07:42 PM

ok so i have some that i want to try out for some of the various uses mentioned in this thread- -i bought it this summer and used it for thrush-it is now hard in the jar (like the texture of noxema but harder)-how can i soften it up?

Kelly, :Mama to Kevin, 10/1/05 & Seth, 7/7/06. ::
#48 of 52 Old 02-05-2007, 10:06 PM

On my bottle of coconut oil, it says it melts at 76 degrees. I just scoop some out on my hand and it melts with my body temp.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#49 of 52 Old 02-06-2007, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yep, you are supposed to keep it in a cool, dark place and it stays semi-firm like margarine. As soon as you put it in your hand it melts into oil. If I leave mine out in the bathroom, the top part melts. I just use a baby spoon to scoop out a little, either melted or solid.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#50 of 52 Old 02-09-2007, 03:34 AM

I use coconut oil for massage therapy and for giving dd massages at bedtime.

When it looked like she was getting cradle cap, I smeared it over her little head. It was totally clear the next day and never became an issue again.

I'm looking forward to trying some of the other suggestions posted here! (Wink, wink...)

Oh, I have both the margarine-consistency coconut oil and the fractionated type that I bought for massage. Are they interchangeable for deodorant, etc.? Or is the goopy stuff the best?

I love the fractionated because it gives a good amount of slip, but soaks into the skin by the time my clients have to get dressed so they're not feeling greasy throughout the day.

Thanks for all the good tips!

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#51 of 52 Old 02-14-2007, 10:51 PM

Hmmm. I'm going to have to try coconut oil for "other" purposes. Ever since having my first son, I've had dryness issues that haven't gone away. We try KY or Astroglide but it is painful/burning for HOURS after! It's horrible. I'm excited that this might make it not hurt.
#52 of 52 Old 02-14-2007, 11:52 PM

My dh wants to thank you all about the "other uses" for coconut oil We thought that astroglide was pretty good, but this, much much better. So thank you those of you who posted about it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page