Coconut Oil Praises! - Mothering Forums

Coconut Oil Praises!

momma,mia's Avatar momma,mia (TS)
11:43 AM Liked: 83
#1 of 52
01-05-2007 | Posts: 259
Wow! I am really excited about this stuff. My skin is super sensitive. I think i may have a mild form of rosacea. I normally keep make up on almost all of the time to protect my face. I know that sounds strange, but without makeup even the pillow at night can make my face red and sore feeling.

So, I thought I would try coconut oil for the heck of it. I couldn't believe how sheer it was and how nice it felt. Normally lotions make my skin hot and red so I avoid them or wear them for just a short while before putting on my make up.

I have actually been able to go through my day and night with nothing but a small amount of coconut oil. It not only "protects" my face like make up does, but wow it has never felt this soft!!

Those with rosacea should try it!!
Spastica's Avatar Spastica
12:02 PM Liked: 0
#2 of 52
01-05-2007 | Posts: 2,431
I use coconut oil on my body, use it as deodorant on my pits, and use it as a base for my mineral makeup to 'stick' to on my face. It's great stuff!

Mineral makeup is good for rosacea. Coconut oil is good for eczema, psoriasis, and rosacea.
BeagleMommy's Avatar BeagleMommy
12:04 PM Liked: 732
#3 of 52
01-05-2007 | Posts: 851
It's also great on big, itchy pregnant bellies. Better than the "belly balm" I made. And much simpler.

Great to hear it helps rosacea!

At Spastica's suggestion, I have been using it on my pits to good effect. (after BS in the shower.)
12:11 PM Liked: 83
#4 of 52
Ooooh, thanks for the belly info!! I am going to try that one soon!!

I have been thinking about the mineral make up too. I guess that is mostly sold online? I hope it isn't too expensive.
cottontail's Avatar cottontail
12:41 PM Liked: 0
#5 of 52
01-05-2007 | Posts: 474
Everyday Minerals offers free samples which would probably last you a good while
12:41 PM Liked: 0
#6 of 52
I just use Physician's formula from Target. It's $10 for a compact, $10 for blush. I get an extra fluffy brush for application since the brush it comes with doesn't cover well and it just plain sucks.

You don't need to use a lot so it lasts a long time. It improves your skin texture and has natural SPF protection (about 15).

Mineral makeup is quite different from traditional powder or foundation. With the fluffy brush, you take some powder and scrub/buff it into your skin. If you don't buff it in, it stays on top of your skin and looks really weird.

You need some moisture, like a moisturizer underneath or some water mist after application (preferably with some essential oil in it), so that the makeup adheres to skin. Sometimes, for extra coverage and if I'm going somewhere special, I'll mix the powder with some moisturizer and make a 'palm foundation' with it. It covers nicely. Press down on your face after application to 'set' the makeup.
minicooper's Avatar minicooper
12:51 PM Liked: 0
#7 of 52
01-05-2007 | Posts: 647
Well between this and the 'wash your face with honey' thread... I think I now have a face regime!

I posted a thread a bit ago about putting coconut oil on a cut I got while shaving.

I've had 'armpit issues' for quite a few years now and it took a lot of trial and error but I finally found a deodorant I could tolerate (Weleda). I'm definitely going to try the coconut oil there too because on the days that I shave (yes rare but still happens every month or two) I can't wear deodorant because it stings. I also do have to apply the deodorant I use more than twice a day, which would be fine if the Weleda stuff wasn't so expensive
01:27 PM Liked: 0
#8 of 52
Yeah, the coconut oil is a godsend for me for my armpits. I can go 12 to almost 24 hours without stinking with a good blob of coconut oil on each pit. It's like roll-on deodorant. It's wet for a minute or two but then it soaks into your skin. I have hormonal issues, so if it works, I'm impressed! I used to be an avid Lady's Speedstick user, but I'm trying to avoid using stuff that can cause armpit cysts and breast cysts. I do scrub with baking soda in the shower from time to time to keep the area clean and so that the oil has a good clean surface to absorb into. It's easy!
crunchy_mama's Avatar crunchy_mama
05:28 PM Liked: 17
#9 of 52
01-05-2007 | Posts: 5,936
hmmm, coconut oil deodrant, hadn't heard of that. Right now I have been using lemon juice, which works just fine, but that would be even easier as I can just have one less thing to worry about keeping in the bathroom. I have a tendency to sweat a lot as well. Actually, regular deodrant usually doesn't work very well for me.
06:50 PM Liked: 0
#10 of 52
Yeah, it's bacteria that makes you stink, not necessarily sweat - when water/sweat combines with bacteria, you get stench.

The coconut oil is antibacterial to a degree and is slightly drying to skin. In fact, some people might find coconut oil feels 'pulling' to their skin, not dry per se, but it pulls a little or may not be emollient enough for winter. You can add some olive oil during winter months if that makes you uncomfortable.

Anyway, I used to scrub with baking soda, spray vinegar on my pits, rinsed, and then put essential oils on my pits. That worked pretty good, but would on rare occasions fail after a long stress filled day at work (when your body chemistry kind of goes whack from stress) or during hormonal times. The bigger issue is that I have a uterine fibroid that is humongous now and I'm wondering if the estrogenic effects of essential oils are to blame for that (sometimes commercial stuff probably would be better than natural stuff...especially for specific health problems...: ).

Anyway, the coconut oil is like liquid deo for me. I can still sweat, but it doesn't smell bad. I can wear it after I shower (I still sometimes do the baking soda scrub and vinegar rinse in the shower to get a nice, bacteria free armpit to work from) and I won't stink throughout the day, the evening, and most of the time, I won't even stink before I shower the next day.

Good stuff.
07:39 PM Liked: 83
#11 of 52
Lots of good info! Minicooper, I am with you! The honey is great and the coconut oil has been even better. I may try it on the pits as well.

Thanks so much for the info on make up! Now that I have the oil to put on my face, I can actually have nothing on my face without it getting bothered by something. That make up would be an acceptable price range as well.

Spastica, Thanks again for telling me where to get it and about the brush, how to apply, etc! I feel like I am soaking up everything you say!!

Jamie
07:59 PM Liked: 0
#12 of 52
Thanks!

These links may help you too - I modify the instructions for Physician's formula and my needs (and experimentation):

http://community.livejournal.com/bar...tml?view=86203

http://www.organicmakeup.ca/CA/switchtoorganic.asp

http://www.thecosmeticbag.com/

http://www.azcentral.com/style/artic...16mineral.html

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006...ions_on_or.php
Conteuse's Avatar Conteuse
01:26 AM Liked: 0
#13 of 52
01-06-2007 | Posts: 194
At the risk of offering TMI, coconut oil also makes the best intimate lubricant I've ever heard of. A little goes a looooooooong way, and it doesn't get sticky or dried up or pill up into little balls like some of the KY/Astroglide families of lubes can. And if you get the all-natural, cold-pressed kind, it even tastes and smells delicious like real coconuts.

(Am I allowed to talk about that stuff on here? Mods can remove if it's too over the top.)

Uh... it's also very healthy to cook with! (There, did I save myself with that, or not?)
02:33 AM Liked: 0
#14 of 52
01-06-2007 | Posts: 2,431
*giggle*
aiccerb's Avatar aiccerb
05:47 AM Liked: 0
#15 of 52
01-06-2007 | Posts: 1,245
Quote:
At the risk of offering TMI, coconut oil also makes the best intimate lubricant I've ever heard of.
I love how much I learn here
05:56 AM Liked: 83
#16 of 52
01-06-2007 | Posts: 259
That's the kind of oil I have. Actually, I bought the best i could find for cooking. Now, I find myself using it on my body more!!

Thanks Conteuse, not TMI. Us girls gotta share what we know!!
07:40 AM Liked: 83
#17 of 52
01-06-2007 | Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybeesmamma View Post
Everyday Minerals offers free samples which would probably last you a good while

Thanks, just sent them a request! Can't wait to try it!
anniegirl's Avatar anniegirl
03:44 PM Liked: 17
#18 of 52
01-06-2007 | Posts: 879
Oh wow I gotta get me some coconut oil! And not just because of what Conteuse said, but I am intrigued!

What I need to know is where to get the good stuff. Whole Foods? I'm always looking for an excuse to go there. Do I get it in the baking aisle? Or in the lotion aisle?

Also, my poor little ds2 seems to be suddenly suffering food allergies. I can't figure out what it is, or rather it seems any solid food I give him makes his skin flare up. Can I use coconut oil on him? Dh normally is the one who bathes him and I told him to stop using soap. Could dh wash him with coconut oil in the shower?

TIA! I mostly lurk on this forum, but I have to say...Spastica, you ought to write a book about natural body care. I'm not kidding! You're a wealth of info.
3bees~1flower's Avatar 3bees~1flower
05:21 PM Liked: 0
#19 of 52
01-06-2007 | Posts: 1,185
you can get a cheaper, refined coconut oil from walmart...louanna brand....in cooking oil section...but i would spend a couple more bucks and get the spectrum brand UNrefined coconut oil from whole foods/wild oats also in cooking oils section...another option is ordering from this site www.tropicaltraditions.com worth the money, imo, if you can't get the spectrum brand. i have some of the tropical traditions CO if you would like to try some...i'd be glad to send you a sample of it. pm me if you are interested.
11:53 PM Liked: 17
#20 of 52
01-06-2007 | Posts: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bees~1flower View Post
you can get a cheaper, refined coconut oil from walmart...louanna brand....in cooking oil section...but i would spend a couple more bucks and get the spectrum brand UNrefined coconut oil from whole foods/wild oats also in cooking oils section...another option is ordering from this site www.tropicaltraditions.com worth the money, imo, if you can't get the spectrum brand. i have some of the tropical traditions CO if you would like to try some...i'd be glad to send you a sample of it. pm me if you are interested.
Thanks for the offer, that's so kind of you! I just got back from Whole Foods, I found the spectrum brand there. Thanks also for the tip about getting unrefined, I wouldn't have known.

I already scraped a little out and spread it on ds2's face and diaper area. It's so cool how it melts as you spread it on.

I'm curious to try it as deodorant. I've been very happy using bs/lotion combo, but it's always fun to try something new.
01:51 AM Liked: 0
#21 of 52
01-07-2007 | Posts: 194
All right, now I'm curious -- how many of you have actually tried it out *that* way yet?

(Give it a shot, I'm tellin' ya...) (you'll be glad you did!)

(and then let me know what you thought -- just no squishy details, I beg you.)

Oh, and... it's also wonderful melted and poured over popcorn instead of butter!
Oh, and for the long-hairs among us, it's also GREAT for the hair.

(There, have I saved myself with that last bit for THIS post yet?)
3bees~1flower's Avatar 3bees~1flower
02:10 AM Liked: 0
#22 of 52
01-07-2007 | Posts: 1,185
oh, so glad you found some...that's a really great brand as well. the deodorant things intrigues me as well....may have to try that....
02:13 AM Liked: 0
#23 of 52
01-07-2007 | Posts: 2,431
I started out doing my pit-scrub with baking soda, rinsing with water, and spraying ACV on my pits, then rinsing and then getting out of the shower and applying a good glob of coconut oil on my armpits. I don't have to scrub everyday now, but I do it from time to time to keep everything fresh and bacteria free.

It's great!
05:32 AM Liked: 17
#24 of 52
01-07-2007 | Posts: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conteuse View Post
All right, now I'm curious -- how many of you have actually tried it out *that* way yet?
Um me. Yeah, didn't waste any time, seeing as I read the thread this morning, bought the oil this afternoon...and um...yeah.

And YES! You're very right about this particular use for coconut oil. Two satisfied customers here. Much preferable to any commercial brand, though we don't usually use any.

Also, ds2's face looks better to me, it's not as raw/red looking.
Sharlla's Avatar Sharlla
07:14 AM Liked: 860
#25 of 52
01-07-2007 | Posts: 11,638
Quote:
At the risk of offering TMI, coconut oil also makes the best intimate lubricant I've ever heard of. A little goes a looooooooong way, and it doesn't get sticky or dried up or pill up into little balls like some of the KY/Astroglide families of lubes can. And if you get the all-natural, cold-pressed kind, it even tastes and smells delicious like real coconuts.

(Am I allowed to talk about that stuff on here? Mods can remove if it's too over the top.)

Uh... it's also very healthy to cook with! (There, did I save myself with that, or not?)
I did on new years, we decided to try something different and water bases lube is no good for, worked fantastic.
Ruthla's Avatar Ruthla
07:31 AM Liked: 392
#26 of 52
01-07-2007 | Posts: 43,652
Quote:
Is it safe to use with latex condoms? What about with a silicone toy?

Ya know, if you think this discussion is TMI then I guess you've never ventured over to the Fertility forum? We've had entire threads about vaginal secretions!

Quote:
Oh, and... it's also wonderful melted and poured over popcorn instead of butter!
Melting and pouring over popcorn is too much trouble- I just pop it on the stove with coconut oil and then add salt after popping.
11:14 AM Liked: 0
#27 of 52
I knew petroleum products break down latex, but I wasn't sure about vegetable or natural oils.

Just tried to look up some stuff online and here's a disclaimer:

Do not use oil-based lubricants, such as petroleum jelly, vegetable/mineral oil, massage oil, baby oil or cold cream, as these may damage the latex condom.

No luck, sorry

Also TMI -- Does coconut oil disturb any flora/pH in your cootchie?
12:35 PM Liked: 0
#28 of 52
01-07-2007 | Posts: 194
Yeah, don't use it with condoms; the jury's still out on that but I'm thinking probably not. Silicone toys? I have no idea, but I would assume it's probably okay.

Cootchie flora? Okay, I'm just gonna stop worrying about Too Much Information in MY posts!! No, I've never been to the fertility thread. But anyway, coconut oil (virgin, unrefined) is a good antifungal agent, so it would probably *help* keep you from getting any sort of yeast infection or other type. We've been using it for months now and... well... my cootchie's never been healthier. (Or happier, but that probably IS too much info!)
01:32 PM Liked: 0
#29 of 52
HEEHEE!

Anyway, found some recipes that are latex friendly. There are other fun household recipes in this link too:

http://www.soapnuts.com/nutsmisc4.html
05:45 PM Liked: 83
#30 of 52
01-09-2007 | Posts: 259
Wow! I never imagined all of these responses to my original thread, but it is getting quite interesting and I am learning more than I could have imagined!!

Reply Subscribe Natural Body Care