Lotion ingredients ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2007, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have heard that you are not supposed to use lotions with petroleum on babies...anyone know why? I got tons of the lotions as presents for the new baby and I am not sure if I should use them or return them? Also my second dd has very dry skin and I am wondering if I should be using a different lotion on her than just regular Johnsons?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2007, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Also...if I should get different lotion do you have any recommendations? We don't have any natural foods or wellness stores nearby, so it would have to be available from a drug store. I am about to place a Frontier order, so if you have any reccommendations from that catalogue it would be appreciated!
Thanks again!
Old 01-08-2007, 03:50 PM

Petrolem products contain mineral oil, which is not good to put on the skin. It doesn't allow skin to breath. I'm sure it causes other problems that I'm not aware of. I've been making my own lotion for years, and it's far superior to anything that you can buy in stores. I haven't made it in a while b/c of the neverending business of being a mom to a toddler, so I've tried to find stuff as good as it is in the stores. Nope! DP works at a health food store, so I can get any type of great quality lotion, too. You can get everything you need from Frontier. I use the recipe from Rosemary Gladstar's "Family Herbal." This is a wonderful book with lots of recipes for herbal medicines and cleansing products. You will need distilled water, aloe gel, vegetable oil (almond or olive are good) coconut oil or cocoa butter, and beeswax. Essential oils are nice to add, too. You can add lanolin for extra moisturizing. Let me know if you need to know the process for lotion making, too. The Frontier catalog has Burt's Bees products, you can try those. The catalog also has Weleda baby cream. Weleda makes great products, too.

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
Old 01-08-2007, 03:53 PM

If you make homemade lotion you must keep it in the fridge as oils+water=bacteria

If you *woops* leave it now and then it is ok but it does need to be kept in the fridge.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 01-08-2007, 05:16 PM

I keep getting conflicting reports about mineral oil. Some groups mention that mineral oil does not clog pores or choke skin, per se, including makeup/dermatologist sources.

Confusing.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:24 PM

I have heard that mineral oil and petroleum are both byproducts of the fuel industry and thus ucky and to be avoided.

I liked the sound of the homemade recipe tho...

We use Burt's Bees lotion - available everywhere incl a lot of drug stores and it is almost entirely natural. I can't figure out what on it is not natural actually unless the the vitamin E is manufactured instead of natural or something. I think that might be it....
Old 01-08-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
If you make homemade lotion you must keep it in the fridge as oils+water=bacteria

If you *woops* leave it now and then it is ok but it does need to be kept in the fridge.
I've never stored my lotion in the fridge, unless I have excess. *But* I also used to have problems with mold, esp. when lotion is sitting in a bathroom that gets steamy. The mold problem stopped (or at least slowed down, because the lotion gets used up so fast) when I started using distilled water instead of tap water and adding Vit E to preserve it. Using EO's will also fight off mold, and grapeseed oil helps, too. I'm just too lazy to get my lotion in and out of the fridge every time I need it, and I don't like putting cold cream on my body after a hot shower.

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg

User Tag List