Mineral Salt Deodorant Crystals? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 01-14-2007, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has any one used these and liked them? I just got one, and it was really expensive (like $7). How long do they last. Also, I've used it a couple of times, and I don't think I smell as bad as if I skipped Deodorant completely, but I can still smell myself. Is this one of those things that takes an adjustment period as well? TIA,

Amanda

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies
#2 of 55 Old 01-14-2007, 02:52 PM

I just started using one. I have found that it works for about 10 hrs but then 'wears off'. After that, I get terribly stinky. You have to apply it to clean underarms...so if you want to reapply during the day, you have to wash your underarms before reapplying it.
I have a feeling that they last a very long time.

I got mine from drugstore.com ...it was on sale.

I do think that it takes the body time to adjust. The body needs to rid itself of toxins and one way it does that is by sweating. When you use an antiperspirant, you don't sweat and the toxins become trapped.
I'm hoping my stinkiness lessens in a couple of weeks.
#3 of 55 Old 01-14-2007, 04:21 PM

It didn't work for me or DH

But it works for one of my girlfriends
#4 of 55 Old 01-15-2007, 03:35 PM

It didint work for me either, I was way too smelly for it I guess. I smelled terrible, even worse. I have to smell good.

Wife, Mama , Daughter, Best Friend, Manicurist.
#5 of 55 Old 01-16-2007, 03:16 PM

I have been using a crystal for about 6 years now. To give you an idea, I have only bought two in that whole time, and I use it almost daily, so I'd say $7 is a pretty good deal! I love it, and it works really well for me. I notice a big difference using it. Maybe it takes some adjusting- I can't remember now.
#6 of 55 Old 01-16-2007, 04:37 PM

I had been using another natural deodorant (tom's) for a while (one stick's worth) before using the crystal , so the detox from antiperspirants was over before I got started with it. The Crystal worked great for me from the beginning. Better than any kind of antiperspirant I'd used before. I find that I don't smell at all for the first day and don't smell much on the second day if I happen to not shower (like I have to be really trying hard to detect an odor). I have also noticed that if there is a slight odor, I can sort of just rub my armpits a little bit and that makes the smell go away, like it's trapped in the salts or something? I don't know why it works but it does. I'm a very sweaty smelly person in general, so I'm pretty amazed this works for me at all. I'm still a little apprehensive about summer...we'll see. I followed someone's advice in the reviews to just put it on while still wet after the shower, rather than wetting the crystal itself...I don't know if that has anything to do with how well it's working for me, but I thought I'd throw it in there, just in case.
#7 of 55 Old 01-17-2007, 02:01 PM

I use the Crystal Body stone. It works just as well, actually better, than Secret. I bought mine from their website. It was 5.95 plus shipping and tax, but it's supposed to last a year.
#8 of 55 Old 01-22-2007, 02:15 PM

I got my Crystal at our local (mainstream) grocery store! It was $5.99 and works wonders! I love it! I have had mine for over six months, and I really think it'll last longer than a year. So for six bucks, that is a great deal!!

~Natalie~
LLL Leader, IBCLC, marathoner, mom of 2 (maybe 3 one day!)

#9 of 55 Old 01-25-2007, 01:35 PM

i use the crystal. we bought it like 2 years ago and i used it for a few days and REAKED! so i threw it under the sink and forgot about it until i read some stuff here and decided to give it a try again but this time wait a bit longer and see if there is a 'detox period'. i gave it 2 weeks and a week later i knew i wouldn't go back to regular deoderant. i have a super bad sweating problem so i was really worried about that but the crystal has seemed to make it better. i hardly sweat now and i use to sweat buckets.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#10 of 55 Old 02-01-2007, 02:58 AM

I go through the "funky detox" period each time I go back to the crystal after using antipersperant: It sounds strange..but if I clean my underarms with baking soda, while in the shower, it only takes a day or two and crystal works great They last FOREVER TOO! My Dh and I share one ($2.99 local grocery store) and have had it for almost a year now.
#11 of 55 Old 02-01-2007, 08:58 AM

It doesn't really work for me although my DH says that I don't smell bad when using it. I think I do and that's all that counts, I guess. I've had better luck spraying diluted lemon or lime juice on there (even though I have to do it more than once a day). However, it works very well for DH. I think it all has to do with your own body chemistry.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#12 of 55 Old 02-01-2007, 12:13 PM

I tried Tom's once, and it didn't work at all, so I threw it out. That was before I knew there was a detox period. So, I tried the 2.99 one at the..ahem...walmart. At first, I just felt wet all the time. I did seem smelly to myself, but dh said he couldn't smell me at all. After about three weeks, it worked great, and has ever since. I can tell it will last a really long time. I usually do a quick swipe with alcohol if I am feeling wet and smelly at the end of the day, but I really haven't needed to do that since those first few weeks. It was so very hard to give up my Secret, but I'm pretty happy with the natural stuff. I am glad that I switched during the colder part of the year, and am really worried about summer time, but we'll see!

me luxlove.gif+ dh kewl.gif= dd reading.gif , ds mischievous.gif , ds2 biggrinbounce.gif, dd2 baby.gif

#13 of 55 Old 02-04-2007, 12:40 AM

We tried the crystal a long time ago. Now that I know about the detox period I might just go to alcohol for the next two weeks and then try the crystal again. I'm really a stinker and I can'at stand to smell but yet hate secret/chemicals too. I can't wait to see if the detox gets rid of the smell after awhile. Thanks for the detox heads up.

notes2.gifDina sahm to geek.gif, bikenew.gif, and joy.gif. I'm always computergeek2.gif, dishes.gif andhang.gif.
#14 of 55 Old 02-04-2007, 05:23 PM

I found that the crystal never worked for me but I'm not sure if I ever used it longer than 2 weeks, perhaps I should try again. I actually make my own & it work all day when it's not a physical day, that's when nothing stops me smelling.
This is my recipe

3 tablespoons of almond oil
3 drops of lavender oil
3 drops of rosemary oil
3 drops of lemongrass oil
1 tablespoon of beeswax

melt the beeswax & oil together the add the eo's & pour into your containers to set.
#15 of 55 Old 02-05-2007, 06:47 PM

I love it, love it, love it! But if you have a man sharing your bathroom....make him get his own!!! My hubbie made mine very stinky with a quickness! Now that he's hands off...it works like a charm!

Kimber vegan natural birthing RN mama to Harper 3 1/2 and proud Navy wife to Rory
#16 of 55 Old 02-06-2007, 10:58 AM

In my health food store I hear about people throwing away their natural deo after just a few days. There is so $ wasted by people not waiting long enough to get through that detox period. After you've been using those conventional antiperspirants for so many years you've got to imagine how much of that junk is clogged in your pores between layers of sweat and stink. When people are switching to a natural deodorant, we always reccomend using a facial scrub or loofah under the pits once a day at least for a month to make sure all that junk gets out. After that period is over, most people can even go without deodorant for a day and not tell a difference. There is also a night time leave on deodorant called Lavillin. You put it on clean armpits at night before bed (goes on white, clear by morning) and that stuff is crazy. After you've been using it for awhile you can go up to a week without reapplying. Nuts........
#17 of 55 Old 02-12-2007, 12:07 PM

as everyone else said, i would give it a little time before you put it under the sink and forget it's there. also, i know you probably don't want to throw the rock away, but when you finally DO finish it, i would try kiss my face liquid rock deoderant. i like it better than the crystal because it's got EO (i get the lavendar, but there's other scents too) so you still get to smell pretty. i'm just so used to having a good smelling deoderant, i couldn't bring myself to make the switch to a natural one that was totally unscented. also, like some PPs said, i exfoliate my underarms every shower (soap and washcloth, rub vigorously) and that always helps to keep the stinkies at bay!
#18 of 55 Old 02-22-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weRnatural View Post
I found that the crystal never worked for me but I'm not sure if I ever used it longer than 2 weeks, perhaps I should try again. I actually make my own & it work all day when it's not a physical day, that's when nothing stops me smelling.
This is my recipe

3 tablespoons of almond oil
3 drops of lavender oil
3 drops of rosemary oil
3 drops of lemongrass oil
1 tablespoon of beeswax

melt the beeswax & oil together the add the eo's & pour into your containers to set.
OMG!!!! I just have to tell you - and I hope you'll see this!!! I just made this yesterday, and I.LOVE.IT. It's been hot here this week, well hot in my opinion! I cannot believe it, but I am not even letting out a single solitary whiff of bad smell. Only herbal yumminess. Thank you for posting this recipe!!!!

me luxlove.gif+ dh kewl.gif= dd reading.gif , ds mischievous.gif , ds2 biggrinbounce.gif, dd2 baby.gif

#19 of 55 Old 02-22-2007, 06:21 PM

Glad to have helped & yes the yummy herbal smells are great,enjoy!:
#20 of 55 Old 02-22-2007, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm glad I came across this! I just bought the Crystal deoderant spray 2 days ago at Sprouts, and I stunk last night. I'll wait and see what happens! Hopefully it starts to work after I detox.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#21 of 55 Old 03-05-2007, 11:25 PM

Works great for me and my husband both! In fact I think it works better than the regular kinds
#22 of 55 Old 03-06-2007, 12:18 AM

and been using it for 2 weeks. I think applying it when clean is definitely key here. My dh and I both have been using it and love love love it. I am sure I didn't follow the directions before and thought it was junk. OMG it so lol ROCKS

notes2.gifDina sahm to geek.gif, bikenew.gif, and joy.gif. I'm always computergeek2.gif, dishes.gif andhang.gif.
#23 of 55 Old 05-25-2007, 01:20 PM

During the past year, I have tested all three versions of the crystal type deodorants (stick, roll-on, and spray) and in my opinion, the stick and roll-on formulas are the most effective. For the stick/rock version, you must first wet the deodorant or apply to wet underarms. Here Are Some Helpful Tips:
1) APPLICATION IS KEY to their effectiveness. You must immediately apply after a shower or bath!
2) APPLY THIS DEODORANT LIBERALLY making sure that you thoroughly cover your “entire” underarm area (a few strokes won't suffice; you must do at least 15-20 strokes per underarm). This forms a protective layer on your skin that will inhibit the growth of odor causing bacteria.

With that said, when applied correctly, this deodorant is very effective in eliminating any underarm odor and will get you thru an eight-hour workday (and then some) w/o smelling. It is unscented, goes on clear, and you never have to worry about it leaving any white residue on your clothing or leaving ugly, yellow, stains on your white shirts. My fiance' (who is 6'0 and weighs 260lbs) has been using the Pitrok brand (stick) for a year and it works like a charm on him-he never smells!!!
***UPDATE: For 24-hour protection, I recommend applying the crystal deodorant every 12 hours: Once in the morning and then 12 hours later after your evening shower or bath.
#24 of 55 Old 05-25-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieanne View Post
I followed someone's advice in the reviews to just put it on while still wet after the shower, rather than wetting the crystal itself...I don't know if that has anything to do with how well it's working for me, but I thought I'd throw it in there, just in case.
I remember reading on some other mesage boards that it was recommended to apply the crystal stick/rock to wet underarms, as opposed to wetting the crystal and then applying to your underarms. Supposedly the benefits are that it will work more effectively and the deodorant will last much longer.

Has anyone else experienced this??
#25 of 55 Old 05-27-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazerific View Post
as everyone else said, i would give it a little time before you put it under the sink and forget it's there. also, i know you probably don't want to throw the rock away, but when you finally DO finish it, i would try kiss my face liquid rock deoderant. i like it better than the crystal because it's got EO (i get the lavendar, but there's other scents too) so you still get to smell pretty. i'm just so used to having a good smelling deoderant, i couldn't bring myself to make the switch to a natural one that was totally unscented. also, like some PPs said, i exfoliate my underarms every shower (soap and washcloth, rub vigorously) and that always helps to keep the stinkies at bay!
I use kiss my face too and love it!
#26 of 55 Old 05-29-2007, 03:21 PM

i just got the crystal stick and i guess i have to get it wet everytime before i put it on...i cant tell anything is even getting onto my skin....its wierd...i used it today but already stunk so i threw on my husbands addidas stuff on for smell..it dosent have alum. but everything else is in it..parabens etc.
#27 of 55 Old 05-29-2007, 05:08 PM

You definitely have to either wet the crystal stick before applying it, or apply it to your damp underarms when you first step out the shower-before you dry off.

I would recommend first washing your underarms with baking soda while in the shower, and then apply your deodorant. Alot of women on this board (including me) have tried washing their underarms with BS and swear by it. It definitely gives my natural deodorant a boost and makes it last longer.
#28 of 55 Old 06-03-2007, 09:48 PM

I have been using the kiss my face unscented roll on and I love it!! I also just ordered the crystal rock so I am hoping I will like it too! Can you get a rock that is scented or are they always unscented?
#29 of 55 Old 06-05-2007, 02:40 AM

I have been using the Thai Crystal for several weeks now and I just love it. My husband, who is normally very stinky is using it with success also. The previous poster who mentioned applying very liberally is right. I wet the stick and keep moving it around my underarm area until it dries up. I put a lot on, but, of course, it doesn't feel like anything at all. I tried the Funk butter before trying this and did not like it at all.
#30 of 55 Old 06-05-2007, 03:58 AM

Location: Learning about ancient history along with the kiddos
What's in the crystal? See, I've been avoiding it because I heard somewhere (like 10 years ago) that it's mineral salts, but one of the salts in aluminum. Is this true? I haven't found anything online since Googling for the crystal plus aluminum brings up all these hits about the aluminum in manufactured deodorants.

I've been using this when I need to, which is rarely:

http://www.sumbody.com/products02.php?pID=193&scat=body

Although the label lists mineral salts that are not specified, the clerk said it does not contain aluminum.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page