front load washer=stinky clothes? Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-16-2007, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My front loader is great, except in my humid climate I haven't been able to avoid it smelling mildewy. Now I have to get clothes out of it immediately after they are washed. I wish this was always possible, but often times something comes up and they end up sitting for to long.

Then they smell, not necesarrily like mildew, but something else smelly. It drives me nuts. We use unscented laundry soap.

I need to get the smell out. Has anyone tried Bac-out or vinegar for stinky clothes? Or anything else?
TIA!!!!
#2 of 19 Old 01-16-2007, 04:12 PM

We don't have a problem w/ stink per-se, but I always leave the door cracked open (not too far, we don't want sanitized kitties), and try to get to it asap after it is done... i also clean the seal around the door every once in awhile, there is lots of gook in there.
#3 of 19 Old 01-16-2007, 04:14 PM

i leave it open as well, and run an empty cycle with a cup of borax or washing soda in the detergent cup. it also takes out the mildew smell in clothes.

Mama to H (6) B (3) : A (1)
#4 of 19 Old 01-16-2007, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

yeah, I have to dry the rubber boot area out, and I leave the door open.
I'll try the borax and/or washing soda for the clothes and the washer, thanks!
#5 of 19 Old 01-19-2007, 07:12 PM

Not mildew-y smell, but used bac-out and vinegr (separately) for odors and works nicely. Borax and BS also help keep clothes smelling fresh.

Also I wonder if your washer has build up? DIaper hyena had some instructions for cleaning out your washer of the build-up - not sure it works on a FL? I just got a new FL and the instruction booklet has info on doing a monthly cleansing cycle to keep orods and mildew at bay.
good luck!
#6 of 19 Old 01-20-2007, 02:48 PM

My advice--SELL IT!! I HATE, HATE, HATE my front load washer---the mildewy stink, the gross build up of lint in the front brushes of the barrel,, the fact that I have to squat or bend WAY over to get the wadded up clothes out of it........and on and on and on!! I say sell the darn thing and get yourself a top loader. That is what I am going to do very, very soon! Front loaders may look cool, but they are a huge waste of money........
#7 of 19 Old 01-21-2007, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalmaman View Post
My advice--SELL IT!! I HATE, HATE, HATE my front load washer---the mildewy stink, the gross build up of lint in the front brushes of the barrel,, the fact that I have to squat or bend WAY over to get the wadded up clothes out of it........and on and on and on!! I say sell the darn thing and get yourself a top loader. That is what I am going to do very, very soon! Front loaders may look cool, but they are a huge waste of money........
Huh. To each their own, I guess. We LOVE our front loader and don't have problems with stink or anything. We've had it for 5 years.

I like that:
1) I can put more in a load
2) It uses less energy
3) I can use less soap
4) It gets clothes partially dry so we can run the dryer less.

We'll never go back to the wasteful top loaders.
#8 of 19 Old 01-21-2007, 03:33 AM

We've had a FL for one year now and like it for the most part (no complaints and I can't say that I love it or hate it). However, we've had a problem with our "older" towels smelling mildewy after they've only been used once or twice (as in to dry us off post-shower). What I mean by older is some towels that are only 6 months old-we're not having this problem with towels we bought last month. They smell fine when I take them out of the washer, fine after they're out of the dryer, but as soon as we use them-yuck! Could this be the washer? Any other ideas?
#9 of 19 Old 01-23-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momalea View Post
We've had a FL for one year now and like it for the most part (no complaints and I can't say that I love it or hate it). However, we've had a problem with our "older" towels smelling mildewy after they've only been used once or twice (as in to dry us off post-shower). What I mean by older is some towels that are only 6 months old-we're not having this problem with towels we bought last month. They smell fine when I take them out of the washer, fine after they're out of the dryer, but as soon as we use them-yuck! Could this be the washer? Any other ideas?
Um--yes--we have the same exact problem also---very frustrating because my philosophy for towels is that you are clean when you get out of the shower, so they can be used quite a few times---except when they smell horrid!!! A top loader would not be a wasteful appliance for us because it would
1) get our clothes clean in 1 wash
2) prevent our clothes from turning into a wadded up ball that needs to be carefully teased apart to prevent damage
3) save my back by not having to bend WAY over to extricate clothes from washer
4) save energy because I can have a shorter wash cyle (35 min vs minimum of 59 for FL)
5) I will not have to smell rotting lint and mildew every time I open my washer!!!:
#10 of 19 Old 01-23-2007, 06:34 PM

I'm definitely thinking that you have some mildew build-up in the washer, which has happened with my beloved front loader a couple of times. It is definitely good to leave the door open to dry out the interior when not in use, and not to leave loads sitting in there festering for too long. If some of the above suggestions don't work, borax, vinegar, then what I have done is run a load with bleach. I rarely, rarely, rarely use bleach for any household reason, but I have done this about twice in the last year.

I love my front loader, though. My number of loads has gone down, my water consumption has gone down and my electricity bill is lower. Whew-hoo!!!!
#11 of 19 Old 01-23-2007, 07:18 PM

Wow - gals!
Anyway: I have the stinky towel problem too! I noticed 2 inches of standing stinky water in the rubber boot area - I tried to soak it out but it's way too much!! I've had the washer (FL) for years and never saw that. What to do? I never run cleaning cycles - maybe that's the problem...:

SAHM to DS (11/2006) and DD (11/2012) 

#12 of 19 Old 01-23-2007, 08:12 PM

in the lowermost part of the rubber seal in the front of the drum, there are drainholes. once you locate it and get past the eeeewww factor, pull it all out of there and toss it~ far, far away! wipe the seal completely around, and inside all the crevices of the seal with white vinegar. i'd also run a cycle with the vinegar in the detergent cup, like the pp's suggested. and make sure that you do leave the door cracked open when not in use to let it air dry out regularly.

this is what i learned to do with our fl and i love, love, love it still. i, too, appreciate the lower water and electric bills and faster dry times. i also am in love with my brighter whites that stay that way!
#13 of 19 Old 01-23-2007, 08:30 PM

Off to stick my hand in the swampy mess.....thanks

SAHM to DS (11/2006) and DD (11/2012) 

#14 of 19 Old 01-23-2007, 09:18 PM

I'm going to have to try the bleach and vinegar thing---we can't afford a new washer yet!!! Thanks for the tips
#15 of 19 Old 01-23-2007, 10:18 PM

We had a front-loader...bought it used so it had problems. We had to replace it and couldn't afford another front-loader. Sigh. I really liked the water savings and it was pretty awesome that a bottle of detergent (64 loads worth) lastest almost 6 months! But anyways, we had to leave the door open to let it dry completely out to avoid odors. Also, I added borax to every load I washed...this really helped to smell too...especially since ds kept closing the door behind my back.

jiva

: : :
ds1 3/05 ds2 5/07 dd 6/09
#16 of 19 Old 01-24-2007, 03:13 AM

Okay, I'm going to check out that seal and do a load with borax or vinegar. I already leave it open after washes. I haven't had a problem with smell with clothes (or even the diapers), just the towels so I was wondering what was wrong with the towels, not the washer.
Other than the towel issue I do like our fl-it's so much larger than my previous machine so I do less washes, it gets clothes cleaner, and our water bill went down. As long as I can get remedy the towel situation all will be well.
#17 of 19 Old 01-24-2007, 03:10 PM

I don't suppose any of you that hate your FL, have the infamous Maytag Neptune??? They are awful. There was a lawsuit about them a few years ago. They are notorious for mold problems, and the company knew this and yet still continued producing them and denying the problem.

We had one, and found out about the lawsuit too late. But ours was just like the OP said, you had to get a load of clothes out immediately or they stunk. I can't tell you how many loads I washed and then re-washed a time or two to get the stink out.

We got rid of ours and replaced it with a LG front loader that I love love love. No smell issues.

HTH!
#18 of 19 Old 01-24-2007, 05:10 PM

ooooohhh! an lg!?!?! i loved those (in theory, while looking!) but we ended up getting the ge units due to the cost contstraints. they do work great, but being a grass is always greener gal... i wish i'd gotten the kenmore set (also made by ge) that i'd been using at my moms. the extended spin cycle option is so much great, i can't believe that i missed that while narrowing down the possible choices!

fwiw, she never runs a vinegar cycle (except when i'd do it with my clothes) and the unit is now 5 years old~ no problem with stink or build-up. she is good about leaving the door open between uses, though. funny how it seems to be so arbitrary. i am really fastidious about doing this stuff, so
#19 of 19 Old 01-28-2007, 04:26 PM

I have a GE front loader and did have the smelly towels thing. I ran a full cycle wash with the hotest water setting, some washing soda, and some vinegar. And, voila! No more smelly!! I'm going to start doing that once a month.

Boy, do I love washing soda.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page