yeast and menstral cup - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-20-2007, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, sorry ladies, this is a wee bit gross...
I use a menstraul cup (the keeper) and am in the middle of my period. I have a raging yeast infection. I'm a little slow on the uptake so I didn't think too much about it at the beginning when it was just a little itchy and didn't realize until last night it was a full blown yeast infection.
The problem is I've been using my keeper. And I only wash it with warm water and mild soap. So I have gone back to pads for the duration of this cycle, but how do I CLEAN the keeper so that I don't reinfect myself next month??? The directions only said to clean with soap and water, but will that kill off any yeast?
#2 of 15 Old 01-20-2007, 06:40 PM

I wouldn't think that would be enough. Actually I remember reading about this somewhere before. I have a diva cup so I'd boil mine but you can't. Not sure if you can use vinegar on latex but I soak mine in 2 tbs white vinegar and cover the cup with boiling water (from the jug) then just soak it till the waters cold. Hmm I'll see if I can find that site...

Nope I couldn't but I did find an FAQ site and I quote:

What if I have a yeast infection? First and foremost, you must get medical treatment for your yeast infection. The manufacturer's (The KEEPER Inc.)consultants report that all that is needed to treat your Moon Cup / KEEPER menstrual cup is simply cleaning it with warm soapy water.

So you're doing the right thing!
#3 of 15 Old 01-20-2007, 08:12 PM

Not really on topic re:Keeper... But I wanted to give you a remedy!

I found info on AC Vinegar for treating yeasties last summer when i had my last yeast infection.

Something like 1-2 TBSP ACV in water twice a day (drink this). This worked better for me than monistat (which I only ever use when totally desparate, but ACV seriously worked great.)

I found lots of info on this at www.earthclinic.com Awesome site!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#4 of 15 Old 01-20-2007, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

well, I guess based on that quote I'll just go ahead and leave it at soap and water. doesn't seem like it would work though....just am afraid to use anything else on it (dont want it to deteriorate).

Apple cider vinegar in water just to drink? I don't have to put any down there? I can drink that!! That was always my moms remedy for vomitting and naseau, how funny that it would work for yeast too.

Thanks ladies!
#5 of 15 Old 01-22-2007, 11:11 AM

ACV is like a wonder cure. Seriously. Correcting the ph in your body can really solve alot of problems.

In the summer I like to put it over ice and add a little stevia. I actually like the taste that way, kind of like Kombucha.

Hope you feel better!

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#6 of 15 Old 01-22-2007, 11:42 AM

I would be more aggressive. I had recurrent yeast issues until I stopped using my Keeper. I tried everything to no avail. I tried cleaning it with soap & water, using vinegar, boiling it, running it through the dishwasher, and even soaking it in bleach. (I never use bleach, but it was suggested on the Keeper instructions, IIRC...) I still got a yi every month. I was never sure if I was just sensitive to the latex or not, because I was trying so hard to get rid of it through those means. But, it had to be that.
#7 of 15 Old 02-03-2007, 02:50 AM

I'm glad I stumbled upon this post. I use a keeper and got a yeast infection last month just towards the end of my period. It was horrible to go from 6 days of AF to yeast infection for 5....I was thinking of switching to a Diva cup as I have had trouble with leakage also. I think I am going to go ahead and order a Diva now so that I can boil it and kill of any nasties!
#8 of 15 Old 02-03-2007, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

hmmmmm.....so were do I buy a DIVA cup?
#9 of 15 Old 02-03-2007, 12:25 PM

Here is another thing...My MW told me that yeast does not thrive in blood - I've developed a yeast infection while using the Diva - I noticed it right away so I took out the Diva and used pads and I was able to get rid of it before it got too bad. Then I boiled the Diva.
#10 of 15 Old 02-03-2007, 03:30 PM

That's weird I used to have yeast infections every month, for many years and then I switched to Diva and I didn't have a yeast infection since then (maybe 6 months wich is alot for me). I never boilled it, I only wash it with soap. I guess everyones body is different.
#11 of 15 Old 02-03-2007, 10:19 PM

Just a ditto for the Diva cup, I can't remember if I had more yeasties with the Keeper but it SURE wasn't nearly as comfortable. I had more irritation until I switched to the Diva.

LOOOOOOOVE my Diva!

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#12 of 15 Old 02-05-2007, 02:14 PM

I'm 90% sure that you can soak a Keeper in vinegar, so I would do that for sure. Also, I'd recomend checking out this: http://community.livejournal.com/men...east_infection
#13 of 15 Old 02-22-2007, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've never had yeast problems, but I used the Keeper for 7 years. The only thing I cleaned it with that hasn't already been mentioned is peroxide. Set it upright in a small cup and pour in peroxide until it's full. Let stand about 20 minutes or until it stops fizzing. Wash with soap. Peroxide roughens the surface of the rubber, but this is temporary and goes away as it dries--it's really weird!--and doesn't do any damage. The fizzing action is great for cleaning out those tiny holes!

Speaking of which, check the tiny holes (under the lower edge of the rim) to see if they are clogged. Might be some yeast in there. If so, clean them with a pin.

Hope you feel better soon!!

Quote:
That's weird I used to have yeast infections every month, for many years and then I switched to Diva and I didn't have a yeast infection since then
Did you use tampons before? I've heard that they can cause problems with yeast and other vaginal infections because they interfere with the vagina's self-cleaning system, and the tampon's absorbent material can actually provide a place for the yeast or whatever to grow.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#14 of 15 Old 03-22-2007, 08:54 AM

You may be allergic to the cup.

I used to get yeast infections a lot. Turns out it was the condoms. I was super sensitive to nonoxal-9 (spermicide) which later led me to develop sensitivities to the other things that got used with it (latex and sucrose-based lubricants). While there are non-latex condoms available, none of those non-latex brands are lubricant/spermicide free (so I'm allergic to pretty much all of them). When I stopped using the condoms, the yeast infections went away.

If your infection is strictly bacterial-based, though, you may want to avoid intimacy until it's cleared up. Men can actually pick up yeast infections (but not show the signs) and then transfer them back to their female partners.

Enjoying the adventure of NFL with my partner-in-crime , DD 03.09 , , &
#15 of 15 Old 03-22-2007, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Red,
It's no longer an issue here as I ended up having to have a hysterectomy (LOOOOONG story there). so no more periods and no more keeper cup
I kinda miss my uterus, but won't be missing my monthly periods!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page