Inexpensive mineral makeup?? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 126 Old 03-24-2007, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really liked my first sample kit that arrived, but I decided I like matte foundation instead of semi-matte so I went ahead and ordered a second sample kit (that arrived yesterday). I like the matte much better since my skin is on the combination-oily side and my old makeup was always a matte finish. I also ordered two eye shawdows, a lip color, two more brushes (for concealer and eye shadow), and an empty mixing container.

For those of you that use the lip color-- do you just put it on with your finger or do you use a lip brush?

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
Mom to Conner (8/19/03) and Parker (5/23/09)::::
#62 of 126 Old 03-25-2007, 12:32 AM

ITA about using a sponge for foundation - I also use the one from EDM and it works great. I've actually used very little of the foundation so far. I found that the mint concealer works great for the redness in my skin, so if I use it first I don't need as much foundation.

For the lips - I use a lip brush. At a drugstore here I found a kit that had 10 brushes for only $5 so I got that and it has a great lip brush.

A PP mentioned using face color as lipstick - I do this too! I just put on a clear gloss first and then use my lip brush or my finger and rub a little of the blush/face color on. It works great and it looks really good.

ETA: I'm still loving my EDM make-up. At first it took me a little while to put it on, but now I can go from start to finish in about 5 minutes. Also, since I started wearing it I have given up mascara and you can't tell I'm not wearing it! with regular make-up my eyes looked strange without mascara. I've been using one of the dark eye colors as eyeliner and it works great. It goes on smooth and it really does stay on all day. You can just dip the tip of an eyeshadow brush into the color and then run it under the eye. If you want it to be a little more defined or thinner you can first dip the tip of the brush in tiny bit of water then get the color on it. It works like a liquid eyeliner.

I don't know if it's the mineral make-up or the washing with honey (see this thread), but my skin has cleared up and is very smooth. It's also not as red as it used to be, and it used to be very red!
#63 of 126 Old 03-25-2007, 12:47 AM

After reading this thread, I went ahead and ordered from Everyday Minerals. Wow! I love this makeup! I have never used mineral makeup before, and am very impressed by the quality and coverage of the foundation. I've only worn the makeup three times, and I swear my skin is clearer and smoother already. How does the makeup do that?!! I am wondering if it's just a coincidence that my skin looks so much better (even without the makeup).

I find that the powders are a little messy to apply, but I figure there's a learning curve and I'll become more efficient with practice. Anyone have any tips? I agree with the advice of the PP...I am fair-skinned and multi-task is perfect for me. The colour I thought would be closest to my natural shade is actually too light.

I highly recommend these products. Excellent quality and value. Many thanks to those who posted re: EDM makeup.
#64 of 126 Old 03-26-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
For those of you that use the lip color-- do you just put it on with your finger or do you use a lip brush?
I use either a lip brush or a makeup spatula and scrap some out so.

What colors did you get?
#65 of 126 Old 04-05-2007, 09:05 PM

I just wanted to say that I ordered some more lip colors the other day and they just came in! They looked really weird to me in the container (they looked dark and the peach looked kinda orange-ish), but when I put them on they looked great on me! I'm so excited, b/c the first lip color I had didn't really give me any color - it was very light!

Oh, and for those who are interested, I can now do my make-up start to finish in 5 minutes! This includes concealer, foundation, blush, eye shawdow, eyeliner, lip color & finishing dust! And, I still haven't worn mascara since I started using mineral make-up. I've noticed that my eyes are less itchy and watery than they used to be, and I still feel like you can't tell I don't have any on!

ETA: the lip colors I got are Peach & Plum Dust. I also have Spring pink, which is a really light pink, too light for me.
#66 of 126 Old 04-15-2007, 08:01 PM

Just ordered a sample of Everyday Minerals. I can't wait to try it! I feel like my skin has changed since having babies- it might just be my age (late 20's). Thanks to everyone for the recommendations.

Now off to research honey for cleaning my face...

so many roads to ease my soul...

#67 of 126 Old 04-16-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLeigh View Post
MDC coops often has a coop for Sheer Miracle, which I like better than Bare Minerals! It has less junk in it! Super cheap in the coops, also available on ebay.

www.sheermiracle.com
What's the link for MDC coops? I can never find it.... I'm sure it's probably staring me in the face..:
#68 of 126 Old 04-16-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarabolli View Post
What's the link for MDC coops? I can never find it.... I'm sure it's probably staring me in the face..:
You have to have 50 posts before you will be able to get to the Trading Post link that has the Co-ops. You are really close. Keep posting and the forum will show up for you.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#69 of 126 Old 04-18-2007, 12:27 AM

I just wanted to say that people posting about Everyday Minerals intrigued me, so I ordered a sample pack about a month back and loved it. Just got my real order in today and tried out EVERYTHING today (foundation, undereye concealer, dusting powder, blush, bronzer, eyeshadow, eyebrow liner and lip color.) With the exception of the eyeliner--I loved everything! I don't normally wear foundation and just put on powder--but I love how light and natural this stuff is. My fiance even came home and said how pretty I looked! And it's all natural! I loved it so much I ordered a set to give my mom for Mother's day.

(Nothing wrong with the eyeliner BTW--I just prefer a pencil liner. Not talented enough to do a powder--and after making a mess a few times, I gave up).
#70 of 126 Old 04-18-2007, 03:27 AM

jessicado - how were you trying to apply the eyeliner?

I use a regular eyeliner brush and just dip the end into the eyeliner, wipe any excess off into the lid, the line under my eyes. It works perfectly for me and actually goes on easier for me than a pencil. It also lasts all day, which my old pencil didn't.

Also, if you like a thinner line or the look you get from a wet liner, you can dip the tip of the eyebrow brush into water first (just the tip!) and then into the liner. I've done this a few times and it looks very good!
#71 of 126 Old 04-18-2007, 03:54 AM

I ordered the free sample a week ago and used it once. I like the lightness a lot, and it blends really well, but I really need a fairer shade to be able to do the usual light-dark effects I am used to. So I guess I will order some of the white eye shadow for that. However, I wasn't too thrilled with the coverage texture-wise, the face color looked great, but up close my skin didn't look smooth. I will try it again with some smashbox primer underneath.
#72 of 126 Old 04-18-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol_Solved View Post
I ordered the free sample a week ago and used it once. I like the lightness a lot, and it blends really well, but I really need a fairer shade to be able to do the usual light-dark effects I am used to. So I guess I will order some of the white eye shadow for that.

They also have what they call "finishing dust" which is very white. It is mostly cornstarch, so maybe mixing some cornstarch with your mineral makeup could be a cheap and quick solution?

Regarding the coverage - I have a big brush and if I need better coverage (when my rosacea flares up) I usually layer the mineral makeup and I make small circles with the brush to "rub the powder in". Also, the concealers give better coverage.
#73 of 126 Old 04-18-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol_Solved View Post
I ordered the free sample a week ago and used it once. I like the lightness a lot, and it blends really well, but I really need a fairer shade to be able to do the usual light-dark effects I am used to. So I guess I will order some of the white eye shadow for that. However, I wasn't too thrilled with the coverage texture-wise, the face color looked great, but up close my skin didn't look smooth. I will try it again with some smashbox primer underneath.
I have been using mineral makeup for about 6 months, Everyday Minerals is the only one I have tried. I agree, my pores look large up close. I like the way it feels. I only wear it 1-2 times a week. I am beginning to think that the finishing powder may be breaking me out. Not big pimples, just clogged pores. A while back I went a couple of weeks without wearing makeup at all. The next time I used it I noticed my pores were clogged about 2 days later. I have tried it without the fin powder & it doesn't seem to get as bad. Does anyone know much about this? Could the cornstarch be comedogenic for some people?
#74 of 126 Old 04-18-2007, 03:19 PM

I'll also add that my Everyday minerals accentuates my otherwise small pores. Do all mineral makeups do this?
#75 of 126 Old 04-18-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I really liked my first sample kit that arrived, but I decided I like matte foundation instead of semi-matte so I went ahead and ordered a second sample kit (that arrived yesterday)
I didn't know that you could order more than one sample kit! I loved the 1st one I got, but still am unsure about foundation colors. Multi-tasking was a bit too dark, but I loved the "glow" it gave me. (Cool) Fair washed me out though. I have fair skin with red undertones and tend toward rosacea and acne- but with dry patches (go figure! LOL).

Heidi , wife to my DH , mama to Hope Isobel (4/3/06), Molly Grace (7/31/09): , furbaby Callie :
#76 of 126 Old 04-18-2007, 07:10 PM

If the mica (the main ingredient in mineral foundation) used has larger particles, then it can give the appearance of large pores (as well as the shiny look versus dewy look). Bismuth Oxychloride is another ingredient that can cause this too.

Are you using a good kabuki or a flat top brush to apply the foundation?

Because cornstarch is organic (versus inorganic), it can start to irritate your skin if it starts to become old. Any organic ingredient can start causing an allergic reaction.

Check out my line of mineral makeup - the link is in my siggy. I don't use bismuth oxychloride or organic ingredients. I'm offering a 1c sample kit - it's under Makeup Kits & Brush Sets. Someone told me that my bronzer brush is excellent for applying foundation.

ETA: Another cause of appearance of larger pores is your moisturizer not absorbing completely. Wait at least 10 min after you moisturize before applying makeup. Wait more if you're using a heavy moisturizer.

~Katie
#77 of 126 Old 04-19-2007, 05:10 AM

Well, when I first started using the make-up my pores looked larger too. At that time I was still using my regular (totally not natural) facial wash/moisturizer. I switched to an organic facial cleanser/toner/moisturizer and now my pores look fine. Also, I started using the burts bees herbal blemish stick and I was shocked that it actually worked! You apply it to any pimples you have and they clear up very fast (it's in a roll-on type bottle). I think it's pointless to use mineral make-up but still use "regular" facial products.
#78 of 126 Old 04-19-2007, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieMC View Post
I think it's pointless to use mineral make-up but still use "regular" facial products.
When I switched over to using honey as a face wash, my face, which was plagued with pregnancy acne, cleared up almost overnight. I am currently waiting on a shipment of shea butter to replace my moisturizer with and expect that will clear up any lingering issues.

, , , and
#79 of 126 Old 04-19-2007, 05:41 AM

Anybody know anything about Signature Naturals? I just ordered from them but I am new to mineral makeup and don't know much about it!
#80 of 126 Old 04-19-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieMC View Post
Well, when I first started using the make-up my pores looked larger too. At that time I was still using my regular (totally not natural) facial wash/moisturizer. I switched to an organic facial cleanser/toner/moisturizer and now my pores look fine. Also, I started using the burts bees herbal blemish stick and I was shocked that it actually worked! You apply it to any pimples you have and they clear up very fast (it's in a roll-on type bottle). I think it's pointless to use mineral make-up but still use "regular" facial products.

I wish that would work for me . It doesn't matter what I use to cleanse, moisturize, etc. I still have large pores and acne. I am sure I have other issues contributing. Anyway, that is a great suggestion as it makes sense to go natural all the way and let your skin benefit from not using the chemicals, etc.
#81 of 126 Old 04-19-2007, 05:19 PM

There are several brands out there. I use pure luxe. http://pureluxecosmetics.com/home.php
It is great for oily skin. If you have oily skin tell her when you order and she will add more clay to the mix. Lots of colors great and samples and inexpensive.
#82 of 126 Old 04-19-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I didn't know that you could order more than one sample kit!
I ordered 3 or 4 sample packs before I made my purchase.
I was pretty happy with mineral makeup, then I bought a good foundation brush and now I LOVE it. A good brush makes so much difference.
#83 of 126 Old 04-19-2007, 11:37 PM

I used the Everyday Minerals for the second time today, and it was ok. I like how the concealer covers my undereye circles, but i went jogging right away, and walked for a few hours so in less than 6 hours it had completely disappeared, even the blush. Paired with the fact that it really doesn't help my skin texture, I think I will try that liquid mineral make up that i saw in the MAD website next.

And for some reason we don't keep cornstarch in the house, so I haven't been able to try and see if it works for me!
#84 of 126 Old 04-23-2007, 02:16 PM

Anybody know anything about Signature Naturals? I am waiting for an order from them and they look good to me but I really don't know anything about mineral makeup yet.

Anybody?
#85 of 126 Old 04-29-2007, 09:18 PM

I'm eyeing the sunscreens of the mineral make up for occasional use. Anyone use these? Any advice?
#86 of 126 Old 05-22-2007, 05:10 AM

Discount code for Everyday Minerals. For the rest of May, 10%
off everything using discount code: wqzaJb at checkout.

I just got another sample kit (the last one I got we're all too light), a
couple brushes, some sifters, and 2 eye shadows for $17.50.

-Janna, independent mother of dd, Ms. Mattie Sky born on my 25th birthday, 06*23*2000. My Mama Feb.21,1938-Sept.10,2006
#87 of 126 Old 05-22-2007, 08:21 AM

That discount was announced only a couple of days after I ordered stuff! Argh!
I have also recieved eyeshadow samples from Alima and LOVE them. They seem to stay on better than the EM ones (although I am very happy with my EM foundation)
#88 of 126 Old 05-22-2007, 11:02 AM

I'm really loving my Everyday Minerals. I put it on with a powder puff instead of a brush and I feel like I'm getting better coverage and wasting less. My husband likes it, too. I've been letting my hair grow (it's blonde). The other day, we were sitting at a stoplight and he said, "You look really good lately, with your skin all clear and your Farrah Fawcett hair." Uh, thanks . He clarified that he meant the '70s Farrah.
#89 of 126 Old 05-22-2007, 03:14 PM

I've been wearing everyday minerals for about 6 months. I am jus tnot 100% happy though. I have larger pores on my nose & it seems to make them appear larger. It seems to settle in the middle of my pores & acentuate them. Any hints or recs?
#90 of 126 Old 05-22-2007, 05:01 PM

I read that silica such as Ronasphere or Silica microspheres are good for large pores and fine lines. But it scores 7 on skindeep website...

I'm marketing my competitor, but I heard good things about meowcosmetics.com. But they want $4.10 to ship a tiny 1/4 tsp sample!

If you haven't tried mine, I do have a free sample kit. Shipping is $2.50. http://www.ktnaturals.com/index.php?...roducts_id=102

I have large pores on my nose and cheeks, and it doesn't seem to accentuate or conceal them. YMMV.

~Katie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page