Inexpensive mineral makeup?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 126 Old 02-04-2007, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I realized that washing my face w/ honey or ocm and then wearing crappy makeup is kind of like an oxy moron. Soooo... I go looking at mineral makeups (bare minerals and the like) and my wallet starts crying. I cannot afford to spend that much on stuff that I'm not even sure I'll like. Does anyone know of an inexpensive brand of mineral make-up? Should I try e-bay?

Amanda : mom to : ds's 14, 12, 9, 1 & dd6

#2 of 126 Old 02-04-2007, 12:56 AM

Hi - I use bare minerals, it lasts for ever. I have also tried every day minerals and like it, the website is www.everydayminerals.com and the nice thing you can order samples for around $4. Also, I hear Physicans Formula is nice. Good luck!
#3 of 126 Old 02-04-2007, 02:34 AM

I love bare minerals- I've read that it remains the most authentic and true color. The last set I bought included 2 shades, a brush set and the warmth powder (which I LOVE) it lasted me a year- wearing it 5 days a week.
#4 of 126 Old 02-04-2007, 02:48 AM

I really like Everyday Minerals. They last a good while, and nothing is over $12. They also let you get a sample pack for free (plus shipping) that includes sample sizes of three different foundations, a finshing powder and a blush. The sample set lasted my over a month. www.everydayminerals.com

, , , and
#5 of 126 Old 02-04-2007, 02:50 AM

my mom found a line of minerals by physician's formula at target - cannot believe how good she looks and how cheap it is.

nak

Mama to H (6) B (3) : A (1)
#6 of 126 Old 02-04-2007, 11:59 AM

I use everyday minerals as well...the sample pack is most definitely worth it!
#7 of 126 Old 02-04-2007, 06:53 PM

A lot of the cheaper ones I've seen have fillers and preservatives--the whole reason I use mineral pigments is to avoid those things!

I use Larenim and No Miss Nailcare mineral pigments. Neither one is super pricey for eyeshadow-type color and they last *forever*, especially if you don't dip a used applicator in the whole container.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#8 of 126 Old 02-04-2007, 09:35 PM

Try the MDC Co-Ops board. They often have a co-op for mineral makeup!

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#9 of 126 Old 02-05-2007, 12:52 AM

Another vote for Everday Minerals. I ordered their free sample set and got it at the beginning of October. I will probably still be using it next October. It lasts a really long time. I'm not really fond of make-up, but I like this.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#10 of 126 Old 02-05-2007, 10:06 AM

I got my samples of Everyday Minerals the other day and so far love them. Luckily one of the colours was the right one so I have ordered more in different types (matte, semi matte etc). I'll probably buy a full size one but I am still waiting on samples form some other sites to compare.
I love that I can now cover up my horrible skin but not look like I am wearing any makeup at all.
#11 of 126 Old 02-05-2007, 12:55 PM

Another vote for EVERYDAY MINERALS! I only wear makeup (when I get the chance to, on the weekends as I have two babies 15 months apart.) I am still working off the "sampler" but I can really feel the difference from Bare Minerals, EM is much lighter & doesn't have that "scent" like BM's does. I do like the color selection that BM's has as far as the eyeshadow selection goes but I definitely won't be purchasing the foundation/mineral veil/blush from BM's anymore since EM's feels much better on my senses!
#12 of 126 Old 02-05-2007, 03:07 PM

MDC coops often has a coop for Sheer Miracle, which I like better than Bare Minerals! It has less junk in it! Super cheap in the coops, also available on ebay.

www.sheermiracle.com
#13 of 126 Old 02-07-2007, 03:14 PM

Avoid ones with bismuth, that ingredient is toxic.
#14 of 126 Old 02-07-2007, 04:01 PM

I love Everyday Minerals, and they don't contain bismuth.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#15 of 126 Old 02-07-2007, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
isn't bismuth what they use in pepto bismol?

Anyway- Ordered my samples of Everyday Minerals today. Can't wait til it gets here.

Amanda : mom to : ds's 14, 12, 9, 1 & dd6

#16 of 126 Old 02-07-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Which ones contain it?

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#17 of 126 Old 02-07-2007, 07:43 PM

I just ordered my everyday minerals samples, thanks for the advice! I'm not sure mineral makeup is even for me but I keep hearing talk about it so I want to try it. (baaaa, baaaaa, LOL!)

Mom to (5) (9)
#18 of 126 Old 02-07-2007, 08:51 PM

I really like everyday minerals too.
#19 of 126 Old 02-07-2007, 09:50 PM

I really need to get some makeup and have been dying to try the mineral makeup.

does it really give good coverage? I have rosacea combined with dry skin (both on my cheeks) but my T zone can also be oily. will it give me adequate coverage?

also does anyone use the concealers and eyeshadows? what about for lips?

TIA for any tips or advice!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#20 of 126 Old 02-07-2007, 10:19 PM

I just ordered my samples from Everyday Minerals b/c of this thread. I have been thinking and thinking about Bare Minerals but couldn't justify it b/c of the price. If this works I will be so thrilled.

I haven't been wearing anything b/c just like the OP - I didn't want to be washing my face w/ honey and then putting all that junk on my face. For those of you who have ordered the samples what do you apply the make-up with if you didn't buy the brushes?

We are a family of Jesus loving urban-nesters living the granola life in a not-so-crunchy city.  Our kids (DS 8, DS 7, DD 4) are home birthed and educated, and we just found out that a new Little will be added to our roost mid-April '14!

#21 of 126 Old 02-07-2007, 10:22 PM

nak

i ordered the sample pack from ev. minerals too, thx for the link. paid 3.50 shipping and got it 2 days later! love, love, love thes stuff.

re: brushes, i have a set from mary kay that has good brushes. sephora is another good place to find affordable ones that are good quality.

Mama to H (6) B (3) : A (1)
#22 of 126 Old 02-07-2007, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
rainbowmoon- take a look at the sample options from Everyday Minerals. I too have rosacea and they offer one to cover up redness. It's green, like most products for rosacea.

I too just ordered the sample pack. Yeah, so cheap. I'll post back how well it does for redness. I wish they would let you sample the eye shadow as well. I'm just pale and red so I just went with the palest foundation for pink skin tones and ordered it in the 3 styles.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#23 of 126 Old 02-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Banned

Everyday minerals is affordable, excellent customer service and good quality. They don't have any harmful fillers like some other brands do (like bare minerals - yuck!).
#24 of 126 Old 02-07-2007, 11:51 PM

I have looked at several different brands and I think the Everyday Minerals is cheapest?

I am going to check out those samples! thanks for the tip!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#25 of 126 Old 02-08-2007, 10:58 PM

I just wanted to say that I ordered samples from Everyday Minerals b/c of this thread and they arrived yesterday. I'm in love! It works so well and it didn't take hardly any of it to give me full coverage! When I get my next paycheck I'm going to order the Everything kit (comes with bunches of stuff, including a free make-up bag!). It said on their blog that lip colors would be coming out very soon. Thanks everyone who posted about this brand!!!

Oh, look at the blog on the Everyday Minerals website and you can read tons of tips and info. about the make-up (i.e. I found out you can use a clear gloss, which I already had, and then apply the face/blush color and it makes a beautiful lip color!).
#26 of 126 Old 02-09-2007, 04:10 PM

I ordered the EM samples as well. But I have a question: I don't use foundation. Is it necessary to use it with EM before I put on the blush color? I typically use a bit of powder (maybelline) on my nose and forehead just in the morning. I really don't want to have to put foundation on if I can avoid it.

Any thoughts?
#27 of 126 Old 02-09-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink View Post
I ordered the EM samples as well. But I have a question: I don't use foundation. Is it necessary to use it with EM before I put on the blush color? I typically use a bit of powder (maybelline) on my nose and forehead just in the morning. I really don't want to have to put foundation on if I can avoid it.

Any thoughts?

I really doubt you'd have to, I'm sure you can use it the same as regular blush.

I got a sample of EM too and LOVE it. I haven't even read the ingredients list though, I need to do that. But it's SOoooo better than the heavy, greasy, crappy stuff I was using before, it makes my skin look great.
#28 of 126 Old 02-09-2007, 09:03 PM

The ingredients list is wonderful. Completely nontoxic. There is a page on the site that actually compares its ingredients with those of other cosmetics, including other mineral makeups.

, , , and
#29 of 126 Old 02-09-2007, 09:47 PM

Everyday Minerals says that it has mica in it. I thought mica was a no-no? I am really looking for some sort of mineral makeup that will give good coverage for my blotchy skin and spider veins.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#30 of 126 Old 02-10-2007, 03:41 AM

I love Alima Cosmetics mineral makeup. There isn't any added crap in it. They sell samples for $1 or $2 and it lasts forever. They also have the BEST customer service ever. http://www.alimacosmetics.com/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page