Does anything remove pencil lead from skin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-11-2007, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Long ago I had a pencil jabbed into my leg and it left a mark. Anyone know of any way to get rid of the mark?
#2 of 16 Old 02-11-2007, 10:59 PM

well it isn't really lead so you don't need to worry too much. it should be graphite. i think you'd have to reopen your skin to get it out, though :
#3 of 16 Old 02-12-2007, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The skin sometimes, often?, pushes foreign objects out as it grows and sheds the outermost layers.

If not, what Bonbon said. It may have to be actively removed. How long's it been there?

FWIW, graphite is pure carbon, so it's not going to hurt you.

"What will you do once you know?"
#4 of 16 Old 02-12-2007, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

oh, good that it is graphite and won't harm. it is just the mark, the 'lead' didn't stay, just wondered if the coloring can be gotten rid of
#5 of 16 Old 02-12-2007, 03:35 AM

It's like a blue mark, right? Looks kind of like someone wrote on you with a marker??

If so, I have a similar mark and so does a friend, if anyone knows how to take care of it, I'd love to know!

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#6 of 16 Old 02-12-2007, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisie125 View Post
I have a similar mark and so does a friend, if anyone knows how to take care of it, I'd love to know!
Im hoping someone knows too: Who would have guessed it was this common?!?!
#7 of 16 Old 02-12-2007, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm glad the "lead" itself isn't still in there. No clue about the mark, sounds to me like you've an inadvertant, and not picturesque, tattoo of sorts.

"What will you do once you know?"
#8 of 16 Old 02-12-2007, 12:38 PM

When I was in 4th grade I dropped a freshly sharpened pencil on my knee and the tip broke off in my skin. It is still there (I am 24) Doesn't bother me. I hope it wasn't lead.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#9 of 16 Old 02-12-2007, 12:41 PM

Me, too! I've got a piece of pencil "lead" in the heel of my palm. Been there since 4th grade. It's so deep, there's no way that sucker's coming out!

Mama to two beautiful sons Wife to DH
#10 of 16 Old 02-12-2007, 12:43 PM

when I was a kid I stepped on a pencil, it flipped up in the air, and the tip came down on the top of my big toe. There was this grey mark but no evidence of a break in the skin. Short of cutting my toe open, no one had any idea how to get rid of it. The mark is still there 25 years later.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#11 of 16 Old 02-12-2007, 01:47 PM

Time and lots of it

I am 32 when I was about 6 I disobeyed my mom and ran with a pencil in my hand. I of course fell leaving a black mark in my cheek. At least it missed my eye. Needless to say I then understood what my mom was talking about.

I am pretty sure it gone now after all these years.

I will have a look later in good light and report back if the mark is still there.
#12 of 16 Old 02-12-2007, 02:08 PM

My youngest dd has one about an inch from her eye. She was walking across the bed, we didn't know she has a pencil in her hand. Wanna talk about super scary, she was really young. It is still there. We figure that is probably went deep enough to stay, like a tattoo. But now whenever we see either of them running, dancing anything with a sharp object, we get to show them that blue dot that is just too close to her eye. But if anyone knows how to remove it, we might after they are old enough that we don't need to use it for an example anymore.
#13 of 16 Old 02-12-2007, 02:45 PM

When I was about 8 or 10, I sat down in the front passenger seat of my parents' car and there was a pencil stuck in the little mechanism at the side of the seat that allows you to recline it. The pencil had fallen in and was point up. I sat on it. Guess where my little blue/black dot is?

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#14 of 16 Old 02-12-2007, 02:46 PM

Back in 5th grade, I poked my finger with a pencil and it, too, left a mark deep down. But it's so far below the surface (though still visible if you look hard) that there's no way it could come off!
#15 of 16 Old 02-12-2007, 04:33 PM

Sadly my son has a little blue mark on his chin from a blue colored pencil (no I don't let him play with pencils but he is quite the little dickens with forbidden objects). Anyway when I took him to the ped right after, they said it's like a tattoo and will not fade or come out. Not what I wanted to hear. It's been over a year and it hasn't faded in the least.
Frankly I don't understand why it couldn't be lasered off when he is older like so many moles and other things, but that's what they said anyway. They also said it's very common.
#16 of 16 Old 02-13-2007, 07:44 AM

I have a rather large chunk of wood in my back LOL

Erika SO to *S*: and Aunt to *A*(10), *Z*(9), and *D*(8)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page