Natural alternative to Bounce? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-25-2007, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really hate Bounce-type products because they smell so chemically. Is there a more natural way to keep clothes from getting staticy in the dryer?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 02-25-2007, 03:28 PM

You know, we've been fabric-softener-free for years now and I find that giving the clothes a good shake as you pull them out of the dryer is usually enough to de-static them sufficiently. Sheets/towels/etc., usually require a little more shaking, and I will admit that once I did find a sock stuck inside my pants leg when I was dropping my kids off at preschool but in general I think I get less buildup on my clothing these days than I used to. And this isn't even a natural living thing. I just quit using it because I felt like my clothes weren't getting as clean with the buildup.

However, will be watching this thread in case anyone has a good non-buildup suggestion.
#3 of 10 Old 02-25-2007, 03:33 PM

My MIL told me that if you don't use fabric softener, to put vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser in the washing machine. I've been doing that and it seems to work beautifully. When I forget to do it, the clothes, especially towels, seem to come out kind of "crunchy."
#4 of 10 Old 02-25-2007, 04:21 PM

Yep, I use white vinegar in a Downy ball, and it works great. I took a gallon jug of vinegar, wrote FABRIC SOFTENER on it in huge red letters, and then liberally dosed it with lavender EO, and it leaves such a delicious smell on the laundry. Even DH likes it, and he usually doesn't like anything that doesn't smell like food.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#5 of 10 Old 02-25-2007, 04:27 PM

Method has natural fabric softeners. I haven't used them, but it seems like a good natural product.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#6 of 10 Old 02-26-2007, 02:20 AM

I have these two blue rub balls with little nubby things on them that I got at Linens n Things that work great. I haven't use a dryer sheet since.

And vinegar in the rinse it great too. I'm going to have to try the lavender EO in it-that's my favorite scent!

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#7 of 10 Old 02-26-2007, 08:42 PM

I do the vinegar thing. I haven't found a fabric softener I am not allergic to.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#8 of 10 Old 02-26-2007, 08:53 PM

Hmm. Wonder what I'm doing wrong. I have the two blue nubby balls, but they don't seem to do a thing. I also worry about the type of plastic they are and what kind of off-gasing they're doing, esp. w/ all that dryer heat.

And I used vinegar in the fab softener ball, but just like my fab softener, it seems to come out of the ball at the wrong time, b/c some of the clothes smell strongly of vinegar, even a week later, in the drawer. My non-natural fabric softener stains the clothes, so I don't use that right now either, since I will only use the ball (not going to run down there to put it in the rinse).

Wonder what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas?
#9 of 10 Old 02-27-2007, 11:18 AM

I wonder if you could soak small cloths in some sort of solution and throw them in the dryer with your wet clothes? Maybe a vinegar/water/lavender concoction? I've thought about doing this, but I'm not really sure what to use.

Also, I saw "natural" dryer sheets from Arm & Hammer last time I went grocery shopping. I don't know what their definition of natural is, but they might be worth an investigation.
#10 of 10 Old 02-27-2007, 12:59 PM

I checked into the Method softeners. They may be more natural than Bounce, but it is still a waxy substance that coats your clothes to keep them soft. I don't like losing the absorbency in my towels. I use vinegar in the rinse & it works great. The only static it doesn't knock out completely is on fleece. I haven't seen the Arm & Hammer. I'll have to look for them & check out the ingredients.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page