Sigg or Klean Kanteen? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 03-01-2007, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm want to replace all of my son's sippy cups with something better but I can't decide which to get. Pros and cons please? Thanks!
#2 of 26 Old 03-01-2007, 09:53 PM

Sigg's dent and chip very easily.

Klean Kanteen is A+ in my book. Haven't found a con yet.
#3 of 26 Old 03-01-2007, 10:05 PM

Kleen Kanteen

Mama to two beautiful sons Wife to DH
#4 of 26 Old 03-01-2007, 11:32 PM

we have both and I much prefer our siggs. I don't like the size of the opening on the KK and it's annoying to drink from. Maybe it's the made in China stickers on it, but it feels cheap to me.
The Sigg has a nice sized, smooth opening and is nice to drink from.
#5 of 26 Old 04-18-2007, 12:25 PM

I just found this thread and I'm going through the same research process. Anyone else care to comment?
#6 of 26 Old 04-18-2007, 12:52 PM

We tried the Sigg first, but I returned it. They come coated with something inside.

Klean Kanteen makes a smaller size bottle now and offers an adaptor thing that lets you use an avent sippy cup spout.- It's great and there is no coating inside.

We love our klean kanteens!
#7 of 26 Old 04-19-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohblueeyes View Post
We tried the Sigg first, but I returned it. They come coated with something inside.

It's basically a glass glaze of some sort; it's not dangerous.
#8 of 26 Old 04-19-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcanother View Post
Sigg's dent and chip very easily.
We have siggs, and haven't had any problems with denting or chipping.....and my kids are NOT gentle with them.
#9 of 26 Old 04-19-2007, 01:48 PM

I'm sooo happy to see this. I was going to ask a similar question and her it is. Are both of these just for sippy cups? Can you drink from them just like a cup? Sorry to hyjack
#10 of 26 Old 04-22-2007, 03:42 AM

pm me if you are interested in ordering any klean kanteen!!!
#11 of 26 Old 04-23-2007, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveWool~Will Felt View Post
Tried to PM but it wouldn't let me....Please PM me if you see this...THANKS
#12 of 26 Old 04-23-2007, 12:14 PM

I prefer the Sigg for travel--it has a closing lid and is lighter, also ds2 likes it because ds1 has a bigger sigg (monkey see, monkey do). But we use our kk at home all the time.--you can give it a rinse, change out the sippy piece and voila, brand new clean cup! With other cups, you want to run the mouth piece in the dishwasher, so you have to wait to use the whole thing.
#13 of 26 Old 04-23-2007, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had my Klean Kanteen water bottles for several years and they been dropped on concrete, thrown accidentally, you name it. They're still in great shape and we love them.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#14 of 26 Old 04-27-2007, 03:49 AM

do the kk sippys have an attached lid over the spout or do you have to take it off as on avent? and what about the sigg?

I'd prefer a lid that somehow flipped back but didn't come off.
#15 of 26 Old 04-27-2007, 10:33 AM

The siggs have lids that flip back, but are still attached so they don't get lost.
#16 of 26 Old 04-27-2007, 10:48 AM

We bought 2 sippy cups and a water bottle for DH and myself about a month ago and we love them. I just bought 4 more klean kanteen sippy cups from organic grace because everybody was sold out of the sippy cups.Almost done with the plastic evacuation!!!

praying.gif Angela married to DHsuperhero.gif......DDguitar.gif age 7 , DDblowkiss.gif age 5 ,  DSsleepytime.gif age 4 and sadly 2 angel.gif  in heaven, Catholic and ribbonwhite.gif with a dash of crunch: hang.gif    chicken3.gif  homeschool.gif

#17 of 26 Old 05-02-2007, 09:21 PM

:
I was wondering which to buy as well. I'm leaning towards KK though.
http://www.lifewithoutplastic.com/cart/waterbottles.htm
liking that its made out of stainless steel and that you can use the sippy tops from Advent.
As far as the Sigg cups I know I've heard alot of people like these, but I found this article: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005...ups_from_1.php
and this was one of the comments:

aluminum w/ "safe" sprayed-on polymer lining... does this sound too good to be true????
the spray on polymer liner is simply not a good choice, and the polymer is applied on top of aluminum to shield from those obvious hazards.
why, do you think, they are not safe in the dishwasher...?
lightweight and stylish?=yes; safe?=simply not
please search a little deeper for a truly safe cup for kids.

Any thoughts?

RayRay~

Life Learning Momma to DS17, DS16,DS9jumpers.gifas well a dog, a cat, two birds...ttc babygirl.gif homeschool.gifnamaste.gif
#18 of 26 Old 05-02-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntRayRay View Post
:
liking that its made out of stainless steel and that you can use the sippy tops from Advent.
As far as the Sigg cups I know I've heard alot of people like these, but I found this article: http://www.lifewithoutplastic.com/cart/waterbottles.htm

aluminum w/ "safe" sprayed-on polymer lining... does this sound too good to be true????
the spray on polymer liner is simply not a good choice, and the polymer is applied on top of aluminum to shield from those obvious hazards.

Any thoughts?

RayRay~
Thanks for the links...I havent looked at them yet but I will. I just ordered two Klean Kanteen sippys today. I too didn't like the idea of the sprayed on liner, I didn't want to wake up in ten years to find out that wasn't good either.
#19 of 26 Old 05-02-2007, 10:35 PM

just fixed my previous post...the second link was the same as the first by accident.

RayRay~

Life Learning Momma to DS17, DS16,DS9jumpers.gifas well a dog, a cat, two birds...ttc babygirl.gif homeschool.gifnamaste.gif
#20 of 26 Old 05-14-2007, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveWool~Will Felt View Post
I'm thinking of ordering as well...please contact me...thanks!
#21 of 26 Old 05-14-2007, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntRayRay View Post
:
As far as the Sigg cups I know I've heard alot of people like these, but I found this article: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005...ups_from_1.php

Any thoughts?

RayRay~
I read somewhere (maybe the sigg site) that the lining is enamel. that would be the same type of lining that is on cast iron pans that are lined, tho may be different material to stick to aluminum. Enamel is considered safe (tho decorative enameled products can have lead in them, which would not be the case for food-safe products.)

Aluminum in general cannot go in the dishwasher - it turns all black and corrodes. Not sure why... so it is not surprising that sigg bottles cannot go in either.

I'd love to see some real sources to prove/disprove sigg safety.

I am going to try sigg because I am tired of the avent tops and all their little parts that need to be assembled. I want something easier. Plus I like that the sigg sippy cup cap is attached so it won't get lost. The other benefit vs KK is that sigg is easier to tell which bottle belongs to which kid because of the patterns. So we'll see how we like them.
#22 of 26 Old 05-14-2007, 03:26 PM

We have siggs because I think they're cute. (They were also gifts from the in-laws in Europe - not sure if KK is available there?)

Both of my girls (2 years and 8 months) are fine with drinking from it like a regular cup. I've never been a sippy person, though, because they seem difficult to clean.
#23 of 26 Old 05-14-2007, 07:58 PM

On theory alone, because I have not tried both, I like the idea of KK's better. I don't like the coating that is on the Sigg's and the skeptical part of me just doesn't trust it when I hear manufacturer's say it's "proven safe"... I have heard that one too many times and then found out oops... it isn't safe.
#24 of 26 Old 05-15-2007, 09:55 AM

I have both and like both! I like how the Sigg has designs, but it is harder to fit ice into their smaller openings. I have heard that, because of the lining, you can put juice in them. I think, in general, the Klean Kanteen is easier and I like how it isn't made from any questionables.

to dh , dd 18 , dd 13 , ds 10 , & ds 6
hale
#25 of 26 Old 05-15-2007, 12:17 PM

i'm in heaven with that kk link. so glad i stumbled over here! havewool, i'm not ready to order yet, but i'm subbing here so i don't forget.
#26 of 26 Old 05-15-2007, 12:18 PM

This same question came up in the Vegetarian Resource Group's family email list, and here is the response that was sent by the PR rep for SIGG:

"I can assure you that SIGG bottles are NOT made with a plastic liner and are in fact lined with a proprietary non-toxic, water-based resin which is extremely stable and has been refined over decades of study. The BPA issues surrounding Lexan plastic bottles (polycarbonate #7) involve the migration of chemicals from the plastic into the contents of the bottles. On the other hand, SIGG bottles have been thoroughly tested in Europe to ensure 0.0% leaching of any substance - no trace of BPA, BPB or any phthalates.

Based on the confidence we have in our product backed by numerous laboratory studies, we have questioned the EWG and requested that they provide us with the testing they have conducted on SIGG – or alternatively to remove the "SIGG" mention from their website if they have not tested SIGG. Within 24 hours of this request, the EWG removed SIGG's name from their report. Here is the link: http://ewg.org/reports/bisphenola/consumertips.php

We understand the controversy and concern surrounding BPA leaching from some plastic water bottles and can assure you that SIGG bottles are leach-free and 100% safe. We are upset about the misinformation which has circulated and are working feverishly to clear the good name of SIGG."

The lining doesn't crack even when the SIGGs are dented. I think both products are good, so it's a matter of personal preference. We prefer the lid options for the SIGG (3 choices, all interchangeable), the size choices, the lightness, and the cute designs. The lids were my number one reason for chosing SIGG. Truly leak-proof, easy to use, attached cap.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page