Wanting to try no poo, but scared - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-02-2007, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi!

I've fought with frizzy, dry, greasy by night hair for years. I always figured that it was because I was stripping my hair of its natural oils, and it was going into overdrive to replace them or something.

Anyway, I am interested in trying the baking soda/ACV routine to see if it will balance out, and not require the daily wash that is so hard on it.

BUT.

I am getting married in 2 months. I read in some posts that it takes a while to get past the greasy stage. I don't want to risk bad hair for my wedding. So here are my questions:

1) Should I wait until afterwards?
2) If I try now, how long should it be before its past the greasy stage?
3) If its not getting better, can I just switch back, without any problems?
4) Am I really not supposed to wash it every day, even at the beginning? How often am I supposed to wash it?

Thanks for your help.

Rebecca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2007, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1) Should I wait until afterwards? No! Do it now. My "greasy stage" was barely noticable and lasted a few days. And I have very fine, wispy, limp straight hair.

2) If I try now, how long should it be before its past the greasy stage? No way to know - it's different for everyone. Probably wouldn't be 2 months though.

3) If its not getting better, can I just switch back, without any problems? It will get better. You won't want to switch back. If you do though - you might notice your hair feels dry and unmanagable. Chances are though - it wouldn't be different than it is now; but it would be more noticable after no-pooing for a while. I went back to shampoo after a couple of unexpected surgeries/hospitalization. I was getting stinky in the hospital, and really missed the suds and lather of shampoo. But I went back to the bs/acv again and I'm glad I did.

4) Am I really not supposed to wash it every day, even at the beginning? How often am I supposed to wash it? Using the baking soda IS how you wash it. I use it every day, some people use it a couple times a week. You'll have to experiment. But 2 months is plenty of time to figure out what will work best for you.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Wonderful. I will try it. I have thought of two more questions though:

1) How can I make vinegar smell nicer? What EO can I add, and how much will it help the smell?

2) What about hard water? We have hard water, can I still do this?

Rebecca
Old 03-02-2007, 12:48 PM

Yes, you can add EO to the vinegar solution. I sometimes use rosemary (traditionally considered good for hair, especially dark hair) or lavender. Shake before applying.

I've been using a dilute vinegar rinse (one part vinegar, seven parts water) as the last rinse for over 20 years. In that time, I've lived with hard water, soft water, and everything in between. It didn't seem to affect it.

I currently have hard water, and I've been doing the BS washes for a couple of years now. Works fine.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

Old 03-02-2007, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I personally prefer the smell of white vinegar, plus I rinse with plain water after the diluted vinegar rinse- this way there's no vinegar smell after I'm dry. You might want to give the white vinegar (or lemon juice) a try if you can't handle the smell of the cider vinegar.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 03-02-2007, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

I might want to give white vinegar or lemon juice a try anyways... because I have them on hand. do I use the same ratio of vinegar to water as with the ACV? Do I dilute the lemon juice?

Rebecca
Old 03-02-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealic View Post
Wonderful. I will try it. I have thought of two more questions though:

1) How can I make vinegar smell nicer? What EO can I add, and how much will it help the smell?

2) What about hard water? We have hard water, can I still do this?

Rebecca
I have nasty hard water. It doesn't affect me. I don't use ACV I use diluted lemon juice. Works great, no nasty vinegar smell!

ETA: I dilute the lemon juice half and half. But I am noticing the longer I no poo the more dilute the solution is getting. You kinda have to play around with it. If your hair gets greasy too fast try diluting it more and see if that helps.

AM
Old 03-02-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealic View Post
I might want to give white vinegar or lemon juice a try anyways... because I have them on hand. do I use the same ratio of vinegar to water as with the ACV? Do I dilute the lemon juice?

Rebecca
I'd dilute acv, white vinegar and lemon juice the same.

ACV and white vinegar are usually produced at a standard level of acidity (the ones in my pantry say 5%), so you would dilute them the same.

And a book I have shows that both lemon juice and vinegar have a pH of 2 to 3. So, dilute lemon juice the same, too.

Lemon juice is slightly more astringent than vinegar.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

Old 03-03-2007, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I did it today. I used 1 Tbsp baking powder in 1 cup water, then 2 Tbsp white vinegar in 1 cup water. My hair feels good. Different, but good. I will see how it is in the morning, but so far, so good.

Rebecca

User Tag List