Skin Care Question - Acne prone skin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-02-2007, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, some time since I had my baby, I have become allergic to the salacylic acid in my proactiv (the only skincare stuff that kept my skin clear). It makes my eyes swell now whenever I use it. I have problem skin, it's combination, but I tend to get a lot of acne, always have since college.

I need to find a new product/line of products for oily, acne prone skin. Looking for recommendations, and 'testimonials' about anything that you have used and liked if you have the same skin I do. Thanks!
#2 of 10 Old 03-02-2007, 02:18 AM

I treat my skin like regular sensitive skin, and treat my acne as an extension of my digestive disorder for the most part.

So for my skin, I wash with honey, tone with witchazel, and moisturize with a little jojoba oil. I used cetaphil for a long time and would recommend that highly as well.

When my skin is getting worse I detox with a castor oil facial (wash it off with soap) and an epsom salt bath.

The healthier my digestion the clearer my skin. The skin, esp that of the face, is an emergency exit for excess toxins in the blood that are not being removed the regular way. So for my digestion I try to eat relatively plain foods, more meat & veggies, less grains, and I avoid or rotate anything I'm sensitive to (eggs & soy mainly). And a bunch of other stuff. I can give you more info if you like. There's a healing the gut thread here as well in the health forum, though it's quite focused on certain particular aspects of digestive healing. Acne around the lower cheeks, jaw, and chin area are especially indicative of digestive trouble.

Acne can also come from hormonal imbalances rather than digestion. I don't know much about that though since that isn't my issue.

ETA: my skin used to be oily but when I switched to gentle cleansers & moisturizers that went away.
#3 of 10 Old 03-02-2007, 02:13 PM

I really like products from Paula's Choice. There are no added fragrances or colors, which help keep the acne away. One thought on your salicylic acid: there are two different types of hydroxy acids, alpha and beta. I can't remember which one is salicylic acid, but the other one might work for you. You can buy product samples from the above link for about a quarter each to see if they'll work for you. Good luck!
#4 of 10 Old 03-02-2007, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Second on the Paula's Choice - I love her stuff. She also has salicylate-free products. Salicylic acid is a beta-hydroxy acid. Last I checked, though, ProActiv has glycolic acid, which is an alpha-hydroxy acid. It is more likely that you are allergic to that than salicylic acid, which is related to aspirin and usually calms people's skin. Of course, if you have scientific confirmation of your allergy, then ignore this.

Why don't you get samples of Paula's beta hydroxy acid lotion and see if it bothers you - then you'd know for sure if it is the salicylic acid. ProActiv is full of other irritating things, and Paula formulates her stuff to be very gentle with not a lot of junk.

Another product I love is azelaic acid, but this is Rx only (Finacea or Azelex). It makes my skin perfect and soft and smooth and fades old scars. They give it to people with rosacea so it probably won't irritate you.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#5 of 10 Old 03-02-2007, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I just checked the ProActiv website and there is no salicylic acid in it. They use glycolic acid, which my skin can't handle either.

Try Paula's! This is what I use:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/pro...200&PAGETYPE=S

and

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/pro...210&PAGETYPE=S

I mix a drop of each in my hand and apply to my whole face at night. During the day I use Finacea (that Rx I mentioned). And moisturizer when necessary.

Good luck!

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#6 of 10 Old 03-02-2007, 08:52 PM

Honey! I have struggled with acne for years-it was worse when I was younger, but now that I've been off the pill it's flaring back up. Anyways, I read the honey suggestion on here and it seriously works! (I thought it was a little crazy, to be honest.) The one new zit I got went back down very quickly and my face just *looks* better. This is only after four days, too.

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#7 of 10 Old 03-03-2007, 08:36 PM

I broke down and am using rx differin gel. It's a retinoid. it is the only thing I've found that works for me
#8 of 10 Old 03-03-2007, 11:34 PM

Several years ago I found Organic Aid Vitamin E soap & it has worked really well for my (also usu oily blemishy) face. My skin is pretty sensitive to harsher acne stuff which makes it look worse & this is much more gentle.
And FWIW when I met my dh, he never uses face cleaning products & always attributed his clear skin to that. So, to try it out I stopped using my soap in the a.m. & just used water then & that REALLY cut down the amount of acne I got (always surprised me too!).
#9 of 10 Old 03-04-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkimum View Post
And FWIW when I met my dh, he never uses face cleaning products & always attributed his clear skin to that. So, to try it out I stopped using my soap in the a.m. & just used water then & that REALLY cut down the amount of acne I got (always surprised me too!).
Ditto for my SO. I don't think I've ever seen him wash his face with any sort of soap or product in the 3+ years we've been dating, and he's had maybe 2 zits in that time.

Me, on the other hand... I wish! Pretty bad acne for the past 10+ years. I really like the Burt's Bees complexion soaps. They tend to do fairly well for me if I use a moisturizer along with them (usually just some cocoa butter). Some stores sell them in sample sizes if you don't want to commit a lot of $$$ to one brand to start.
#10 of 10 Old 03-04-2007, 09:48 PM

I've been enjoying honey. My face is clearer than ever! I wash with baking soda once a week. I was with raw local honey daily, then rinse with dilute ACV. I put just a touch of oil - coconut or jojoba or shea butter - to moisturize. I never thought I'd be putting oil on my face!!

Aven

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page