Confused about EWG ratings (also posted in health and healing) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 03-04-2007, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

I've been lurking for awhile and using the information to help make positive changes for my family. I've ventured in the "personal products" area and today spent a small fortune on lotion, shampoo, and body wash. After purchasing them, I looked up their ratings on EWG skin deep site (backwards I know). Anyway, the Burt's Bees' Baby Bee Buttermilk lotion has a rating of 1.9, the Jason Tea Tree Scalp Normalizing Shampoo has a rating of 1.9, and the Jason Satin Shower Body Wash (apricot) has a rating of 1.8. All are in the "moderate concern" range. So, to compare, I put in my current products Garnier Fructis Fortifying Shampoo and it's rating is 1.6. Dove bodywash is 1.7.

So, according to the EWG site, my original products are slightly better than the "natural" one's I just bought even though they have SLS and parabens?

I'm very confused - did I just waste my money? I would appreciate guidance on what products to buy.

Thank you

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page