Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 03-08-2007, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just though you might like to know...

CONSUMER WARNING:
TOXIC CHEMICAL BPA LEACHING INTO CANNED FOODS
An alarming new study from the Environmental Working Group analyzed samples of canned fruit, vegetables, soda, and baby formula on sale in the nation's supermarkets and found that more than 50% were tainted with a chemical linked to birth defects, ADHD and cancer. The chemical, bisphenol A (BPA), is an ingredient in plastics that lines food cans. According to the study, the chemical has been leaching into foods at levels up to 200 times the government's recommended "safe" level of exposure. According to Dr. Frederick vom Saal, a professor of biology at the University of Missouri-Columbia, and a long-time expert researcher of BPA, there are 94 scientific studies indicating deleterious health effects from BPA. "If BPA was treated as a drug, it would have been pulled immediately. This chemical can be replaced right now by safer materials, and the public would never notice the difference." OCA is planning to launch a campaign later this year to pressure food companies, especially organic companies, to stop using BPA-tainted cans and other toxic or non-sustainable packaging.
Learn more: http://www.organicconsumers.org/arti...ticle_4414.cfm

**Many metal water bottles, such as those sold by the brand Sigg are lined with a plastic coating that contains BPA. Look for stainless steel bottles, such as those sold by Real Wear and Kleen Kanteen that do not have a plastic liner.**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 41 Old 03-08-2007, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#3 of 41 Old 03-08-2007, 05:53 PM

Not Sigg bottles! Oh how distressing. I have both Kleen Kanteen and Sigg both the kids really prefer the Sigg (based on looks).

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#4 of 41 Old 03-08-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof3inMI View Post
**Many metal water bottles, such as those sold by the brand Sigg are lined with a plastic coating that contains BPA. Look for stainless steel bottles, such as those sold by Real Wear and Kleen Kanteen that do not have a plastic liner.**
Do you have a source for this statement? I didn't see it in the posted link (maybe I missed it?). I've stayed away from Sigg bottles in favor of Klean Kanteens because I could never find out exactly *what* their liners were, exactly.
#5 of 41 Old 03-08-2007, 11:20 PM

Sigg bottles are lined with a baked enamel, not plastic. Where did you get that info from?
#6 of 41 Old 03-08-2007, 11:39 PM

I was going to say I though it was a baked-on liner.
#7 of 41 Old 03-09-2007, 05:39 AM

i found this.
Quote:
"The (lining) formula has not been released, since it is proprietary, but we have been working with them and they have agreed to release it soon. The liner has undergone extensive tests in Switzerland and Germany. The liner absolutely does not leach Bisphenol-A or other potential toxins. We have conducted our own tests in the US with a California lab, and they confirmed the European findings. So, the best I can do at this time is to assure you that the liner is completely safe, does not leach plastic products, contains no petroleum products, and exceeds all associated FDA requirements for food liners. The additional information will be released soon from Switzerland." -- Ron Peters of SIGG USA
#8 of 41 Old 03-09-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof3inMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy2boys View Post
Do you have a source for this statement? I didn't see it in the posted link (maybe I missed it?).
I was wondering as well. I read the whole report and didn't see Sigg mentioned anywhere - or a reference to water bottles.

The info about canned food is interesting though and definitely something to watch for. I always wondered about that strange lining on some cans! Luckily I don't use a lot of canned food, but I'll be checking out the ones I do more carefully.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#9 of 41 Old 03-09-2007, 12:36 PM

I don't use alot of canned foods, either, but I do keep a supply of various beans and such on hand since I'm not great about planning to cook from dry very often. Does anyone know how we can find out which companies are using bpa?
#10 of 41 Old 03-09-2007, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the site that has the warning on in.
I also listed (from this site) how to avoid BPA's.

ORGANIC BYTES #104
Health, Justice and Sustainability News Tidbits with an Edge!
CONSUMER WARNING:
TOXIC CHEMICAL BPA LEACHING INTO CANNED FOODS
An alarming new study from the Environmental Working Group analyzed samples of canned fruit, vegetables, soda, and baby formula on sale in the nation's supermarkets and found that more than 50% were tainted with a chemical linked to birth defects, ADHD and cancer. The chemical, bisphenol A (BPA), is an ingredient in plastics that lines food cans. According to the study, the chemical has been leaching into foods at levels up to 200 times the government's recommended "safe" level of exposure. According to Dr. Frederick vom Saal, a professor of biology at the University of Missouri-Columbia, and a long-time expert researcher of BPA, there are 94 scientific studies indicating deleterious health effects from BPA. "If BPA was treated as a drug, it would have been pulled immediately. This chemical can be replaced right now by safer materials, and the public would never notice the difference." OCA is planning to launch a campaign later this year to pressure food companies, especially organic companies, to stop using BPA-tainted cans and other toxic or non-sustainable packaging.
Learn more: http://www.organicconsumers.org/arti...ticle_4414.cfm

HOW TO AVOID BPA

*Metal canned beverages appear to contain less BPA residues, while metal canned pasta and soups contain the highest levels.
*Canned foods in glass containers are not a BPA risk.
*Plastics with the recycling labels #1, #2 and #4 on the bottom are safer choices and do not contain BPA.
*One-third of liquid baby formulas have high levels of BPA. Powdered formula packaging is generally considered safer.
*Avoid heating foods in plastic containers and do not wash plastic containers in a dishwasher.
*When possible, opt for glass, porcelain and stainless steel containers, particularly for hot food or liquids.
*Do not let plastic wrap touch your food in the microwave, or better yet, avoid microwave ovens altogether.
*Many metal water bottles, such as those sold by the brand Sigg are lined with a plastic coating that contains BPA. Look for stainless steel bottles, such as those sold by Real Wear and Kleen Kanteen that do not have a plastic liner.

ORGANIC BYTES is a publication of:
ORGANIC CONSUMERS ASSOCIATION
6771 South Silver Hill Drive
Finland, Minnesota 55603
Phone: (218)- 226-4164 Fax: (218) 353-7652

Subscribe: http://www.organicconsumers.org/organicbytes.htm
#11 of 41 Old 03-09-2007, 03:59 PM

Thanks for the links. I googled like crazy and can't find any info anywhere that states that the Sigg linings have been found to contain plastic. The study says nothing about Sigg bottles being tested. I'm just trying to find the connection...we use Sigg bottles all the time, so this is a big deal if its true...
#12 of 41 Old 03-09-2007, 04:15 PM

Mama, did you originally get that in your e-mail? I wonder if that bit was refuted and has since been removed from the Web version...

But ETA, thank you for letting us know, truly! I would never, ever hear about this stuff if it wasn't for the people on this board.

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#13 of 41 Old 03-09-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissel View Post
But ETA, thank you for letting us know, truly! I would never, ever hear about this stuff if it wasn't for the people on this board.
Yes, thank you for keeping me on my toes on issues like this ladies. And thank you to those who asked a few more questions. I bought my Sigg bottles about 8 years ago so I really don't remember their details. I think I'll just try to keep them in the back of the rotation for now.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#14 of 41 Old 03-09-2007, 11:29 PM

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/SIGG-B...&category=2013

here they say it's baked on enamel---man I hope it's not plastic!!

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
#15 of 41 Old 03-10-2007, 06:07 PM

maybe i'm glad that i just lost my sigg....

thanks for the info!

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()
#16 of 41 Old 03-15-2007, 03:24 PM

Hey, Mommas! I came across this today ... see the bottom of the page about SIGG lining ...

http://www.turnertoys.com/Polymer_update20051009.htm

FWIW
#17 of 41 Old 03-17-2007, 03:24 PM

This thread over in Nutrition has the scoop on the Sigg confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenok18 View Post
I don't use alot of canned foods, either, but I do keep a supply of various beans and such on hand since I'm not great about planning to cook from dry very often. Does anyone know how we can find out which companies are using bpa?
Today, I emailed all the companies whose canned products we buy to ask them if 1) they use BPA in the lining, and 2) if the lining is lead-free. These are the companies I emailed, and I'll post their answers on my blog if/when I receive them:
  • Westbrae Natural—Their FAQ says the coating in their cans is "a type of food grade epoxy -- it's the simplest earth friendly coating available."
  • Eden—I couldn't find anything on their web site.
  • Amy's—I couldn't find anything on their web site.
  • Muir Glen—I couldn't find anything on their web site, but the can says it's lead-free with a white enamel lining.
  • 365 (Whole Foods)—They have a fact sheet on Bisphenol A, but it doesn't say anything about can linings.

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#18 of 41 Old 03-17-2007, 04:47 PM

Where does one find the Real Wear stainless bottles?

I googled Real Wear but found a Christian clothing company
#19 of 41 Old 03-17-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
This thread over in Nutrition has the scoop on the Sigg confusion.
Thanks! I'm glad it was just a mistake.
#20 of 41 Old 03-24-2007, 06:37 PM

Did you ever hear back from Muir Glen or other companies whether or not their can liners contain BPA??
#21 of 41 Old 03-24-2007, 08:02 PM

Whew. I was nervous! Maybe the title of the thread should be changed?!

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
#22 of 41 Old 03-25-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julialsco View Post
Did you ever hear back from Muir Glen or other companies whether or not their can liners contain BPA??
Yeah. Not good news. Amy's and Muir Glen responded to say that they both use BPA, but not to worry because the FDA and other groups say not to worry. Boo.

Eden replied but didn't really answer the question directly, so I need to email them back.

I guess the best thing to do is avoid canned food whenever you can. If these "natural food" companies are using BPA, I'd bet all the mainstream companies are too. DH and I are going to start buying beans in the bulk aisle and using our Sundays as our bean-cooking day for the week. The only other items we buy in cans are tomato products (stewed, paste, pasta sauce), so we'll look into making our own for those.

#23 of 41 Old 03-26-2007, 02:40 PM

snozzberry
let us know what you find for tomato paste, etc-we use quite a lot.

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
#24 of 41 Old 03-26-2007, 07:47 PM

Darn! I buy cases of canned tomatoes. Does anyone know if there are some that are okay?
#25 of 41 Old 03-27-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arismommy View Post
snozzberry
let us know what you find for tomato paste, etc-we use quite a lot.
Bionaturae sells tomato paste in jars. I haven't found chopped tomatoes yet though.
#26 of 41 Old 03-27-2007, 07:51 PM

Bisphenol A also found in baby bottles
http://www.environmentcalifornia.org...c-baby-bottles

#27 of 41 Old 03-28-2007, 03:43 AM

Wow. That is so, so disturbing. Thanks so much for letting us know what you found out. I guess I really am going to have to learn to cook beans from scratch now!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#28 of 41 Old 03-28-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissel View Post
Wow. That is so, so disturbing. Thanks so much for letting us know what you found out. I guess I really am going to have to learn to cook beans from scratch now!
We cooked lentils this last weekend, and it was pretty easy! I think someone told me that they're one of the easiest beans to cook. But we made enough to last the whole week, and it worked out great.

#29 of 41 Old 03-28-2007, 11:35 AM

OMG! I didn't read this thread when it was originally posted because I don't use Sigg. You need to change the thread title to read Canned Foods can be toxic! I'm sure pet foods contain BPA too!

I'm sure this has something to do with a recent study that found 1 in 150 kids having autism. No wonder my ILs both have cancer (one pre-cancer) - they use canned foods up the wazoo!

I'm just so shocked!!

~Katie
#30 of 41 Old 03-28-2007, 11:45 AM

My inquiries, and the responses:

Bionaturae:

I am delighted that you carry a tomato paste product in jars! It doesn't look like any of your diced tomatoes are in jars, though. Do you use BPA in your can liners?

"Unfortunately at this time, our cans do container BPA and that is why we offer the glass alternative. At this time, we have been told the tomatoes would erode the lining and the can would turn read inside without it. We continue to research and alternative.

Thank you for your interest in our company.

Take care,

[email protected]"

Eden:

"Thank you for contacting Eden Foods and your interest in Eden products.

Eden Organic Beans are packed in lead free steel cans coated with a baked on oleoresinous (a natural mixture of an oil and a resin extracted from various plants, such as pine or balsam fir) c-enamel lining that does not contain bisphenol-A.

Eden Organic Tomatoes are packed in lead free steel cans coated with a baked on r-enamel lining. Due to the acid in tomatoes, the lining is epoxy based and may contain a minute amount bisphenol-A. It is in the “non detect” range in extraction testing."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page