Natural Lubricant - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 03-09-2007, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so ....but here goes anyways!

I am wondering what you all use as a natural lubricant.

Also, what ingredients should I be trying to avoid in lubricants? The one I am using right now (well not right this minute, lol) is Durex Tingling from their play line. It contains dimethicone and menthol....not sure if these are things to avoid.

Hope this isn't TMI, but I'm figuring if I am going to use natural products....that would be one of the most important places to do so!!!!!

Proud wife to my man and mommy to my pumpkin . We are dedicated to loving life and getting out of debt in 2010. - ask about our journey
#2 of 33 Old 03-09-2007, 02:35 AM

You can mix glycerine and a little water

Menthol is just the ingrediant found in mints. You can use some minty EO in your glycerine to make it tingle..if you wanted to.

Don't get out of hand on that though..too much tingle might not be good.

Dimethicone is a silicone

Not all those who wander are lost 
#3 of 33 Old 03-09-2007, 02:49 AM

You can use egg whites too. But, it does get kind of tedious - seperating the yolks from the whites. Plus, I always felt bad about throwing the yolks out. Almond oil and coconut oil are good ones that I've used. They actually double as nice massage oils too - unlike egg whites!

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#4 of 33 Old 03-09-2007, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
They actually double as nice massage oils too - unlike egg whites!

Can you imagine...an egg white massage?? A little goopy I'd think
#5 of 33 Old 03-09-2007, 11:31 AM

I have heard that castor oil is a good lubricant. I would feel better using a one ingredient lube, instead of worrying about additives. Dimethicone is synthetic. I avoid it in conditioners, so I def wouldn't want it there!
#6 of 33 Old 03-09-2007, 12:28 PM

If you are looking for something prepared: http://www.saffronrouge.com/body-car...nal-lubricants

I bought one of those and its pretty nice. Its not astroglide, LOL, but it works.
#7 of 33 Old 03-09-2007, 01:15 PM

Coconut oil is good, but it does stain the bedclothes.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#8 of 33 Old 03-09-2007, 02:01 PM

O My natural hemp lubricant works well:

http://www.cheaplubes.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=414
#9 of 33 Old 03-09-2007, 02:30 PM

I just wanted to tell the OP that I am so glad she posted this!!!! I used KY a few weeks ago and I still have a sore "down there", it showed up within an hour after I put it on so I know it has to be the lube.I guess I had a horrible reaction to it and ended up throwing the stupid stuff away.
I do have a question though, I know that you aren't supposed to use vaseline because it is an oil based product and it destroys condoms and is hard for the vaginal tract to break down. Would the same be true for coconut or castor oil? Obviously they are better because being all natural, but I have had huge problems with lubes in the past and need to make sure that when I stick something "down there" that it isn't going to cause problems, KWIM?

Namaste,

Michelle

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#10 of 33 Old 03-09-2007, 02:45 PM

Oils do break down latex so I don't think that caster oil and the rest would be condom friendly.

I like the O'My line of natural lubricants. They are water baced with glycerin. They have flavored lubes to! My current favorite is strawberry cheesecake. The flavors used are all natural and sugar free. I think some of their lubricants have hemp seed oil in them but I don't think it's enough to effect a condom.

http://www.omyonline.com/files/pharmacy-natural.php

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#11 of 33 Old 03-09-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon Feimorgan View Post
Oils do break down latex so I don't think that caster oil and the rest would be condom friendly.

I like the O'My line of natural lubricants. They are water baced with glycerin. They have flavored lubes to! My current favorite is strawberry cheesecake. The flavors used are all natural and sugar free. I think some of their lubricants have hemp seed oil in them but I don't think it's enough to effect a condom.

http://www.omyonline.com/files/pharmacy-natural.php
I did see the o'my hemp lubricant, but was very disappointed when I looked at the list of ingredients. Among others it has trisodium EDTA which is seriously toxic. Granted it is probably better than KY, but I am looking for something that is as all natural as I can get so I don't have any more reactions. Thanks for the info.

Namaste,

Michelle

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#12 of 33 Old 03-09-2007, 02:54 PM

I did a google search and found this:

Firefly® Natural Moisturizing Lubricant

Ingredients: Helianthus Annuus (Hybrid Sunflower) Seed Extract, Brassica Napus (Canola) Seed Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea Seed) Extract, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Butter, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C & E.
#13 of 33 Old 03-10-2007, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I used to use egg whites all the time, but have been looking for something prepared too.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#14 of 33 Old 03-10-2007, 11:25 PM

I haven't found anything better than plain ol' olive oil.
#15 of 33 Old 03-10-2007, 11:38 PM

organic coconut oil
#16 of 33 Old 03-11-2007, 01:07 AM

Another vote for Coconut oil. It's AWESOME!

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#17 of 33 Old 03-11-2007, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytchywoman View Post
I did see the o'my hemp lubricant, but was very disappointed when I looked at the list of ingredients. Among others it has trisodium EDTA which is seriously toxic. Granted it is probably better than KY, but I am looking for something that is as all natural as I can get so I don't have any more reactions. Thanks for the info.

Namaste,

Michelle
They must have changed their formula My bottle is 2 or 3 years old and doesn't list that in the ingrediants.

Too bad, I'll have to enjoy it while it lasts.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#18 of 33 Old 03-11-2007, 03:11 AM

I've used olive oil before and it work really well. I asked my OB and he said Olive oil was a really good lubricant and didn't have the same issues as vaseline in regards to infections. I didn't ask about condoms and I was pg at the time so he wouldn't have thought to tell me so I'm not sure about that.
#19 of 33 Old 03-12-2007, 04:24 AM

This is probably WAY TMI, but I just use saliva. Works better than any product I've ever tried.
#20 of 33 Old 03-12-2007, 04:34 AM

Ha, ha....salivia is my lubricant of choice too!!!!
#21 of 33 Old 03-13-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytchywoman View Post
I do have a question though, I know that you aren't supposed to use vaseline because it is an oil based product and it destroys condoms and is hard for the vaginal tract to break down. Would the same be true for coconut or castor oil? Obviously they are better because being all natural, but I have had huge problems with lubes in the past and need to make sure that when I stick something "down there" that it isn't going to cause problems, KWIM?
I would assume a big difference because vaseline is meant to sit on top of the skin and form a barrier and not absorb (and it's petroleum based), and natural oils absorb into the skin. Also, coconut oil is anti-viral, anti-bacterial.

I am highly reactive to topical products anywhere on my body, and I use coconut oil as lotion and lubricant without any problems.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#22 of 33 Old 03-14-2007, 01:39 PM

Question for those of you using olive or coconut oil, what are you storing it in? I'm envisioning my big bottle of olive oil in the bedroom and a big 'ol handful of it running out in my dh's hand

Wonderful ideas here. My dh brought home some cheap crap from somewhere and I refuse to use it.

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
#23 of 33 Old 03-14-2007, 08:34 PM

Another vote for CO!!

oneotamama - since I use it as a moisterizer, hair conditionar, body lotion...I just keep a jar of it in the bathroom so it's easy to get to when the mood strikes
#24 of 33 Old 03-14-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneotamama View Post
Question for those of you using olive or coconut oil, what are you storing it in? I'm envisioning my big bottle of olive oil in the bedroom and a big 'ol handful of it running out in my dh's hand

Wonderful ideas here. My dh brought home some cheap crap from somewhere and I refuse to use it.
I bought a big jar of CO and then divided it up. I have a couple of tupperware containers with locking lids....I have 1 in our nightstand drawer, 1 in the bathroom, and the original jar it came in is in the kitchen.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#25 of 33 Old 03-14-2007, 09:52 PM

Aha! I guess I've never had coconut oil before and I envisioned it being more runny like olive oil. Thanks!

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
#26 of 33 Old 03-15-2007, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Coconut oil is soft at room temperature, but not runny.

I think the Vitamin E oil I've got from GNC would be a good lube, though we haven't done that experiment. Smells like oranges from the orange EO in it.

"What will you do once you know?"
#27 of 33 Old 03-15-2007, 09:17 PM

I used to use a natural lubricant called Simplee Wonderful?--BUT NO, NO lube is necessary anymore since I switched to cloth pads!!! I was using the organic cotton tampons---and they dried me out SOOOO bad, I would be dry all month............hubby (and me) is amazed and so much happier that we don't have to hunt for the bottle everytime and then super-lube up.......: It kind of took the fun out of things................
#28 of 33 Old 03-17-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneotamama View Post
Aha! I guess I've never had coconut oil before and I envisioned it being more runny like olive oil. Thanks!
Here in Phx in the summer, unrefrigerated coconut oil is liquid like olive oil.

I keep my olive oil in a little travel-sized squeeze bottle in my nightstand drawer.
#29 of 33 Old 03-18-2007, 03:17 PM

I've been reading TCOYF recently, and it suggests that while saliva is a good lubricant, it is not 'sperm-friendly', therefore if you're TTC it's not a good option. TCOYF suggests egg white (keeping in mind salmonella & egg allergies of course)
#30 of 33 Old 03-18-2007, 03:57 PM

I like the OO and CO ideas, but what about condom compatibility? Any suggestions?

TIA!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page