Heating pad type things without a microwave - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-18-2007, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The only thing I ever used our microwave for was heating up things like socks full of rice for sore muscles, headaches, etc. Now that our microwave is defunct, I'm really missing that I have no intention of replacing the dumb thing just for that one use. What do the rest of you microwave-free folks do for that? I used an electric heating pad once... for a few weeks until it gave me one heck of an electric shock in bed one night. Scared the bejezus out of me. No sireebob, don't trust the things. Besides, they're energy hogs.
#2 of 7 Old 03-18-2007, 01:56 AM

i have one of those old fasion hot water bottles..you can buy them at CVS..walgreens..ect...i love it..i fill it full of hot water and use it instead of heating pad...they are like 8-10 dollars!
#3 of 7 Old 03-20-2007, 11:39 AM

When I took a macrobiotic course, the teacher was against microwaves. He suggested heating up buckwheat groats (or rice) in the oven... and then pouring the hot grains into a pillowcase or sock. Not as fast as the nuker... but works the same. I think he said to put the grains on a baking sheet and put them in the oven at 250 for about an hour.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#4 of 7 Old 03-22-2007, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

I considered a hot water bottle, but I most frequently use these things when I have a headache, and the smell of plastic makes me sick when my head hurts.

I also considered doing grains in the oven, but between how long it would take to get them hot enough, and the energy expense, I didn't feel that was practical. Over the winter, I could have kept a shallow pan of grains on top of the woodstove for this use, but now we're only using the woodstove at night. I guess the oven method is the only way, though. Hm... I wonder if they'd warm up more quickly if I put a pan of boiling water in the oven too? The steam would help heat them more quickly than dry air.

Thank you for the help!
#5 of 7 Old 05-01-2007, 06:22 PM

I am hoping hoping you get more replies becuase I too have this dilemma. I was given a really nice neck warmer all velvety and delicious smelling...but it required heating in a microwave...so, re-gifted. Any more ideas anyone? I'm making note of the 'Buckwheat in the stove' idea too, thanks!:

Married to my soul mate and best friend. Stay-at-home-mama, home-schooler to three magical little ones. And, blogging about a green, simple, frugal way life at rosiedreams.com.

#6 of 7 Old 05-01-2007, 06:47 PM

Hot water bottles just dont settle around the body as well as a rice or whatever sock.
#7 of 7 Old 05-20-2007, 11:33 PM

There are those plastic encased chemicals that contain a little metal coin and when you snap the coin it causes a chemical reaction and gets hot. Once you've consumed all its heat you boil it in water to get it back to its original state and you can reuse them. I couldn't tell you what's inside or how it works, but they do exist. Not sure if that's something you'd want to use or not?

What about putting those smooth little polished rocks into a frying pan for a few minutes, then pouring in a sock? Just thinking... Or why couldn't you just do that with rice or wheat? I would think it would be okay to heat them faster.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page