Natural Dishwasher detergent alternative? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-26-2007, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there a good alternative to dishwasher detergent? I am looking for something besides a green label - similar to using vinegar for countertops & floors, etc.

We have our first dishwasher (yay) and I was alarmed to find my detergent uses chlorine! Is this safe? Also - since we use eggs, I do want something that can kill salmonella. Or would heat alone do that?

Help!
#2 of 10 Old 03-26-2007, 08:05 PM

subbing ...

I was using one I made myself awhile back and it worked well for a couple of weeks and then it just quit working. No matter how much vinegar I used, everything still came out with a film of baking soda. So I've been using Mrs. Meyer's and Trader Joe's.

Now I'm almost afraid to try my own as I got a new dishwasher (a Bosch, no less!!!) last week and I don't want to do anything to mess it up.

Any suggestions would be welcomed!!!!!
#3 of 10 Old 03-26-2007, 09:05 PM

We use Seventh Generation...it works awesome for us!

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#4 of 10 Old 03-26-2007, 09:27 PM

I found this recipe posted here on MDC--but I don't remember exactly where. If I find the original post, I'll update with the link.

Here is the recipe:

1/2 cup Baking soda
1/2 cup Borax
1/4 cup salt
2 packets koolaid yellow lemonade

I used a tablespoon in each soap compartment, and a dash of vinegar in the rinse aid. I really liked this, but had already had some 7th generation free and clear powder on its way. I loved both, the recipe and the 7th generation stuff. We have a water softener though, that may have helped its performance.
#5 of 10 Old 03-26-2007, 09:38 PM

That recipe might be from Spastica in the big, long BS thread. I tried that recipe and it didn't work for us. I've tried everything under the sun and then finally tried Ecover tablets. That's the only thing I can get to work in our dishwasher!!!
#6 of 10 Old 03-26-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybelly View Post
I found this recipe posted here on MDC--but I don't remember exactly where. If I find the original post, I'll update with the link.

Here is the recipe:

1/2 cup Baking soda
1/2 cup Borax
1/4 cup salt
2 packets koolaid yellow lemonade

I used a tablespoon in each soap compartment, and a dash of vinegar in the rinse aid. I really liked this, but had already had some 7th generation free and clear powder on its way. I loved both, the recipe and the 7th generation stuff. We have a water softener though, that may have helped its performance.
I think you hit the nail on the head. That recipe is very similar to what I was using. The water is so hard in Cincinnati that I don't even dare use a powdered natural commercial detergent in the dishwasher any more. Now Cascade Powder works well but it is formulated by Proctor and Gamble, located in Cincinnnati, so the hard water is a known quantity. But I don't want the chemicals and whenever I can avoid a P&G product, I do.

I tried LOTS of vinegar, extra koolaid, more salt ... nothing worked for me. So for now, Trader Joe's gel it is. I may try the Seventh Generation and see what happens in my new dishwasher.
#7 of 10 Old 03-27-2007, 02:58 AM

I had been using Melaleuca's dishwashing detergent and when I quit it was the only product I was worried about missing. Then I found Ecover. It works even better! We have hard water too and it's good stuff.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#8 of 10 Old 03-30-2007, 07:35 PM

what does the koolaid do?

Shelley
#9 of 10 Old 03-30-2007, 09:00 PM

I think the Kool-aid is supposed to add citric acid, which would help clean?

I found this recipe at recipezaar http://www.recipezaar.com/91963

It uses washing soda, borax and an essential oil.

I also was looking at the ingredients on the Aldi dishwasher powder (Reeva) and I remember thinking they seemed a lot like some of the homemade dishwasher detergents. So if you shop at Aldi, you might want to look at the ingredients of that.

ETA: I threw away the box of Aldi powder or I'd list the ingredients. I can't find them anywhere on the web.
#10 of 10 Old 03-30-2007, 09:33 PM

I use Ecover as well, I've also tried Biokleen and Seventh Generation but Ecover wins hands down. I have hard water also.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page