Toxic Chemical BPA Leaching into Canned Foods and Food in #7 Plastics - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#91 of 108 Old 06-26-2007, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
What are #1 and #2 plastics considered? The pyrex storage containers with plastic lids....so far they have either a #1 or #2. Safe?
Refer back to page 1 of this thread -- Synchro246 posted a good summary of what the different numbers mean.

In my PP I noted that the company told me they were satisfying FDA safety rules and that their lids are type #7 -- are your Pyrex lids numbered 1 and 2? Could there be different varieties on the market? Or could the company not know what it's talking about? I haven't actually looked at them close-up yet, but they are probably what I'm going to get (or something very similar).
#92 of 108 Old 06-26-2007, 09:31 AM

Someone gave me a great storage container tip - canning jars! (Was that in this thread? Mama brain...) I have a bunch of different sizes, and they work for almost everything I need to store.

I have the pyrex dishes with the covers, and I don't usually let the food touch the plastic. The only issue is that I don't run plastic through the dishwasher, so those lids have to be washed by hands while the containers go through.
#93 of 108 Old 06-26-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaste View Post
Does anyone know if the plastic in Foodsaver bags is dangerous?
Wondering this as well.
#94 of 108 Old 06-26-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post
Wondering this as well.
im thinking not safe b/c its soft plastic...

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#95 of 108 Old 06-26-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
im thinking not safe b/c its soft plastic...
But so are Ziploc bags, and I thought it was said in this thread that Ziplocs were ok as long as they weren't heated? The farmer I buy my free-range meat from packages the meat in FoodSaver bags and freezes them, and I hate to think that I'm getting "safe" meat in "unsafe" bags.
#96 of 108 Old 06-27-2007, 06:59 PM

Regarding Pyrex I generally try to leave enough space that the lid doesn't touch the food - or if it will I put a layer of parchment paper on top of the food, and then the lid.

Canning jars are great for some things, but definitely don't work for everything (at least not for me!).

I've heard of wrapping meat in butcher paper and then plastic, so it is protected from freezer burn, but doesn't actually touch the plastic. I haven't tried this though.

I do the same with bread - wrap it in paper first, then put a freezer bag around it. I'd love to find a way to not use the plastic at all, but nothing has worked well for me yet.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#97 of 108 Old 06-28-2007, 03:55 PM

I emailed Gerber a couple of days ago because my kids love the Gerber Graduate Color Changing sippy cups, which are plastic but do not have a recyclable number or symbol on them. : Here is their reply:

"Thank you for contacting Gerber Parents Resource Center.

The Gerber Fun Grips Color Change Spill-proof Cup is made of polypropylene. The lid is made of polyethylene. Valve is made of polypropylene w/silicone membrane."

Okay, so the body of the cup and the valve are #5, which makes me feel a little better. But the lid could be #1, #2, or #4. I'll reserve judgement on that one until I get more info.

Also, where do you get your "safer" baby bottles? I've scoured Wal-Mart, Target, and Babies R Us, and they either carry Avent, or else bottles that are labeled #7, or else they're not labeled at all -- actually most of them aren't labeled at all. I thought plastics had to have a recyclable number on them, but apparently the FDA has decided that too much information would be onerous on big business and too dangerous for us dumb masses. Do you get them on-line? Or am I missing a completely obvious source?
#98 of 108 Old 06-28-2007, 04:01 PM

online. we have the klean kanteen sippy and the sigg bottles

#99 of 108 Old 06-28-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
online. we have the klean kanteen sippy and the sigg bottles
Did you find a good deal someplace? Replacing all our sippies and baby bottles would involve a small fortune at regular retail prices -- say at mysigg.com. Reusablebags.com might offer a buck off for multiples, but that still adds up super fast.
#100 of 108 Old 06-28-2007, 04:14 PM

i got mine through co-ops and on e-bay.

#101 of 108 Old 06-28-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
i got mine through co-ops and on e-bay.
Awesome! How do I find a Sigg or KK co-op?
#102 of 108 Old 07-01-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Dad View Post
Did you find a good deal someplace? Replacing all our sippies and baby bottles would involve a small fortune at regular retail prices -- say at mysigg.com. Reusablebags.com might offer a buck off for multiples, but that still adds up super fast.
Check your local health food store too. We picked up 2 large (18 oz?) Klean Kanteen knock-offs for DH and I for about $11 each. They are just plain stainless steel bottles with sport caps. I believe the Klean Kanteen brand is around $16 for something similar.

For DD (2 y.o.), we bought the Sigg bottle because it was smaller, had handles and was easier for her to hold. We bought one from reusablebags.com; then "suggested" to Grandma and Grandpa that DD would love a few more for her birthday

We also tend to only drink water out of them, so they only get washed once a day, then refilled with water again...
#103 of 108 Old 07-10-2007, 07:36 PM

Just wanted to add that I was opening some canned organic red beans from TJ's last night and noticed that it was stamped "Product of CHINA" : I realize this is somewhat of a seperate issue, but I imagine many followers of the BPA issue would also be bothered by this. I checked my tomato products and they do not say that. Just something else to look out for!!! :

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#104 of 108 Old 08-01-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I emailed Gerber a couple of days ago because my kids love the Gerber Graduate Color Changing sippy cups, which are plastic but do not have a recyclable number or symbol on them. : Here is their reply:

"Thank you for contacting Gerber Parents Resource Center.

The Gerber Fun Grips Color Change Spill-proof Cup is made of polypropylene. The lid is made of polyethylene. Valve is made of polypropylene w/silicone membrane."

Okay, so the body of the cup and the valve are #5, which makes me feel a little better. But the lid could be #1, #2, or #4. I'll reserve judgement on that one until I get more info.

Also, where do you get your "safer" baby bottles? I've scoured Wal-Mart, Target, and Babies R Us, and they either carry Avent, or else bottles that are labeled #7, or else they're not labeled at all -- actually most of them aren't labeled at all. I thought plastics had to have a recyclable number on them, but apparently the FDA has decided that too much information would be onerous on big business and too dangerous for us dumb masses. Do you get them on-line? Or am I missing a completely obvious source?
Quote:
Someone in a PP noted that some Gerber baby bottles are recyclable plastic #5 -- well, the key word is "some", because I just checked out the Gerber bottles being sold at the local Wal-Mart : and their Gerbers are #7. I plan on checking Babies R Us very soon to see what they offer, but it sounds right now like MAM/Sassy, Gerber #5, and Evenflo glass are the best options available. Did I miss any?

I just read in a magazine today (Fit Pregnancy, I think) that the Gerber bottles called "Fashion tints" are #5.
Adiri breast bottles are also "OK"

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#105 of 108 Old 04-16-2008, 07:22 PM

DH here posting under my wife's account. I'm an engineer and a skeptic, however the recent confirmation of the hazards of BPA are throwing us for a loop. I feel that I should share some of my understanding.

Recycling numbers are sort of a loose classification of the different types of plastics. #7 is a catch-all that includes polycarbonates (sometimes marked PC under the #). Camelback has re-engineered their line of bottles, coming soon, to not be made with BPA, however it's still a #7 plastic. Traditional polycarbonates are the main offender here, being made of BPA. #7 is often considered not recyclable and is often not marked, as is the case with our Gerber sippy cups. PC is hard and clear (maybe colored, generally not milky though). BPA may also be used in other plastics that, by major composition are not #7. Also BPA is used extensively as a coating in canned food. I think the government is going to have to take action on this one.

Also, and this drive me nuts, is that so much of our cheap consumer junk come from China. No offense to the people of China, but there seems to be little integrity regarding the quality of goods used in production over there. I point to, off the top of my head:
lead paint in toys
melamine added to sub-human grade grains to boost protein content tests and enhance value -- killing pets
contaminated heparin, manufactured for Baxter, killing some folks recently

A certificate of conformance is worthless if you are a liar.

I suspect that many products will be labeled as BPA free, and will continue to be made from BPA by liar-subcontractors. We really need to hold China accountable. If they cannot adhere to product safety standards then they have no business selling goods in our country. As of right now, I trust noting that comes from that country. (Hate to sound harsh.)
#106 of 108 Old 04-17-2008, 11:03 AM

What number would cross-linked polyethylene be?
#107 of 108 Old 04-19-2008, 01:46 PM

on the good news front, canada just announced it is outlawing plastic baby bottles. it is the first country to officially declare bpa a toxic chemical.

personally i think the debate as to which plastic is safe or what bpa free plastics are out there is a waste of time. what did they replace the bpa with? some equally as toxic completely untested on humans, petroleum based chemical. we just should not be eating and drinking and feeding our precious babies out of plastic. a few years ago they told us #7 was non leaching so we all ran out and bought #7. now we find out we may get breast cancer, our children have been exposed to hormone disruptors whose long term effects are yet to be seen. petroleum based plastics are not sustainable and are not healthy. it may be a process to figure out how to replace them all in our lives but that is what every mom concerned with her families health should be doing.

brainchild magazine is still marketing nalgene water bottles with thier logo on it to those supposed thinking mothers who will increase thier chances of breast cancer and according to one study, thier unborn daughters chances of breast cancer, by using those bottles. my business is suspending our advertising in thier magazine until they stop selling them. it is time for all of us to stand up and demand these companies stop poisoning us and our children.

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#108 of 108 Old 07-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

I know this is a super old thread, but I am going to share it on twitter due to the recent FDA ruling.  Good information to share!  Please contact me directly if you have an issue with this, and we can discuss options.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page