Mothering Forum banner

Can someone help me with Vinegar mix?

717 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  KayleeZoo 
#1 ·
I am plunging into using more natural/frugal cleaning stuff and I need help
I've always bought every cleaner out there- Lysol wipes, Lysol liquid to mop with, all spray antibacterial cleaners, etc. I see mention of a vinegar/water mixture that people use to clean with- can someone share the ratio of vinegar to water? I'd also like to add a little bit of TTO, too. Today I mopped my ceramic tile floors with some hot water, washing soda and TTO and it worked SO much better than any commercial stuff I've ever used! I'm feeling way more confident now about not buying more commercial stuff, but I just need a jump start. TIA mamas!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I like about a 50/50 mix.

Also you can mix the vinegar w/ baking soda -good for clearing slow drains and scrubbing jobs like the bathtub. I've cleaned the toilet that way too-sprinkle in the baking soda, pour in the vinegar, let it bubble for a while then scrub.

I think the biggest thing to remember is that hot water and elbow grease will clean almost anything, the rest is just a bonus

#4 ·
I use a 50/50 mix as well to clean the counter tops, our glass kitchen table, all the bathroom mirrors, and our tv/computer screens. Works great!

I want to add some type of essential oil though since I really don't like the vinegar smell. Can I just use any EO? I think I'd like a lemon or orange smell. I really don't like lavendar or TTO.

#5 ·
I use 1/2 cup vinegar to 1 qt hot water and 5 or so drops of orange or lavendar EO for an all purpose cleaner.

For Furniture polish I use 10 drops lemon oil, 1 Tbs. lemon juice, and a few drops of olive oil or jojoba

For cleaning the toilet bowl pour 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 cup vinegar into the bowl, then scrub with a toilet brush ( you will be amazed at how clean your toilet gets).

As an airfreshener/fabric freshener (homemade version of Febreze):
In a spray bottle mix;
1c. water
2T. baking soda (natural odor remover)
2T. Vodka (quick drying properties)
5-10 drops of tea tree oil (natural antibacterial properties)
5-10 drops lavendar essential oil
1t. pure vanilla

The lavendar and vanilla are obviously for scent. You can make any essential oil combination you like (mandarin/vanilla, eucalyptus in cold season, rose/bergamot....etc.)

I think once you start using vinegar as a cleaning agent you'll never go back. My home has been "toxic cleaning supply" free for many years now, and it's just as clean if not cleaner than my "toxic cleaner" addicted friends.

Kudos on your efforts to go toxin free....good for your family, good for the environment!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.