No-poo: What am I doing wrong? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-05-2007, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've tried to no-poo a few times, but it doesn't seem to work. Can anyone help with my method? I've been trying to wash with a 1 tbsp. baking soda/1 C water mixture, then rinsing with 1 tbsp. ACV/1 C water. But it just runs through and out of my hair, doesn't clean it at all. My hair is oily and thin, just to add to the fun. Any suggestions?
#2 of 9 Old 04-06-2007, 01:03 AM

The ACV made my hair really greasy so I use just plain vinegar now.
I use the baking soda with water as well then do circular movements and then wash that out then 1/2 water and 1/2 vinegar and put that in and then rinse off with water. Hope that helps, plus there is a "adjustment" period.
#3 of 9 Old 04-06-2007, 01:42 PM

Make sure you're doing a proper scalp scrub and rinsing with water in between your baking soda and ACV steps. Also, try putting diluted ACV on the bottom part of your hair, and not dumping it all over your head. I mix my baking soda with cheap lightweight silicone free conditioner so that I have something to work with and I can clean my hair and scalp.

I also use a spray bottle for my ACV/water spray. So I can spritz the ends and rinse off with water again. Don't leave the ACV on your hair.

If you haven't done the baking soda and shampoo cleanse before trying no poo, do that first. I recommend that to get rid of any product buildup and to prep hair for baking soda. I use more and more baking soda and less and less shampoo to get hair ready. There is an adjustment process and you have to get the scalp scrub right too. It takes some time to figure out your hair and scalp type and the proportions of baking soda, acv and sometimes conditioner to work.
#4 of 9 Old 04-06-2007, 05:13 PM

ACV made my hair oily too, and it weighed my hair down, so I use lemon juice now. It makes my hair super soft. I use ACV on occasion.

~Katie
#5 of 9 Old 04-08-2007, 02:27 AM

I have been doing the BS/ACV for about 4 weeks now. There was definately an adjustment period when my head felt gross and my hair looked it. Now it seems to not be too oily, but a little on the dry side and dull. I usually only do the recipe 1x a week, and just wash and scrub my head with water when I shower...what does everyone else do?

Also, I have often struggled with dandruff/dry scalp even when I shampooed every day. I also have scaly/scab spots at my hair line on my forhead and neck. I use to use Head and Shoulders mostly, then I attempted to go with a shampoo that was more "natural", just to find out later that it still had harsh chemicals in it. When I switched over to the latter, things seemed to clear up for awhile, but then it is back.

I was hoping that not using any shampoo or conditioner would take care of the scaly spots and terrible dry scalp, thinking it was a reaction to the chemicals in the shampoo. No such luck. Things are just as bad as they ever were with daily shampoo and conditioner.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for my issues? I'm about to give up and go back to using a natural shampoo and conditioner (though not as often) just because it isn't any better when I don't.

Thanks,
Miranda
#6 of 9 Old 04-08-2007, 12:37 PM

Saturating hair and scalp with apple cider vinegar and leaving it on for a long time before cleansing your hair helps. Do that until the scabs clear. I had the same problem. It takes some time for no poo to help that, but you have to heal the scabs first and then no poo is more 'maintenance' of keeping the scabs clear. If your hair is dry now, you're not using enough ACV or too much baking soda. Your amounts may change as you go through phases.

I had to mix baking soda with cheap lightweight/silocone free conditioner (I use Suave Tropical Coconut) to do no poo, or else my hair was too dry. It cleanses better, and my hair doesn't get so limp and staticky. My hair is on the wavy/curly side too, so it needs more moisture.
#7 of 9 Old 04-08-2007, 07:58 PM

For the short while that I did no-poo, I used a much lower ration of bs to water. A tbsp or so of bs and added enough water to cover that plus another 1/2" - still cloudy and a little gritty (ie: it didn't dissolve) but not a paste.

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#8 of 9 Old 04-08-2007, 09:40 PM

Yeah paste method worked a few times on me, but wore off after a week or so. The diluted method works better for me.
#9 of 9 Old 04-09-2007, 09:27 AM

I am pretty new to no-pooing, just been a couple of months. However, I use a lot more bs. I just sprinkle it on wet hair and then just thoroughly scrub it all over my scalp, at least a few minutes. Rinse off and then just squirt some ACV on my scalp and then rinse. My hair stays looking good, neither dry or oily for about 8 days. I just went with the easiest method and it seems to be working pretty good for my hair.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page