baby sunscreen rec. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 04-11-2007, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anybody recommend a good natural sunscreen for babies/young children that isn't chock full of all sorts of toxic yuckiness? I went to the EWG site and saw that tehy rate California Baby the best, but their list is so small, I'm not sure how other brands (e.g. Burts Bees, Aveeno, etc.) stack up. Also, I recall some media attention last year to some super great ingredient that was just being introduced into US sunscreens that blocked some of the UV rays more effectively, but that's all I remember as far as details (some help, I know). We'll be bringing the girls on a couple vacations (lots of sun) soon and I want to be well prepared.
#2 of 39 Old 04-11-2007, 07:45 PM

I'm interested too in what people like. I cannot recommend Earth's Best Sunscreen by Jason. It is absolutely terrible, too thick and left white streaks. I bought it for my youngest and it took so long to rub, she didn't want to put it on.
#3 of 39 Old 04-11-2007, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Why not just use diaper rash cream with zinc oxide? You know it's safe for baby skin! Zinc oxide works as a sunscreen by reflecting sunlight off the skin- I use it on my whole family.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#4 of 39 Old 04-11-2007, 07:49 PM

I realy like UV Natural. It comes in Baby formula, regular sport... It's pricey, but we really like it. No scent, goes on really smooth. It's not creamy, but very moisturizing.
#5 of 39 Old 04-11-2007, 09:36 PM

We really like the Aubrey Organics Green tea sunscreen. Check out the link.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#6 of 39 Old 04-23-2007, 05:36 PM

Personally, I'm on the fence.

Read: http://www.terressentials.com/faq.html#sunscreen

Last summer, I mostly did not go in the sun during peak hours or covered up and put my DS in clothes / swim suits that covered him up. Only a few times on a friend's boat did I put sunscreen on him.

It makes sense to me that these chemicals may in fact be the cause of the increase in skin cancer that we are seeing....not just the ozone-loss factor.
#7 of 39 Old 04-23-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post
We really like the Aubrey Organics Green tea sunscreen. Check out the link.
This sunscreen says it has PABA ester as an active ingredient. Why do so many sunscreens say they're "PABA free"? Should I be concerned about PABA?

-Angie
#8 of 39 Old 04-24-2007, 12:35 PM

There is a coop going on over in the coop forum for an all natural one that looks safe.
#9 of 39 Old 04-25-2007, 10:06 AM

Do you know what the name of it is so I can look into it? I am really worried now after reading that article in the PP. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momazon4 View Post
There is a coop going on over in the coop forum for an all natural one that looks safe.
#10 of 39 Old 04-25-2007, 11:45 PM

We used Aveeno Baby last summer because it had the ingredients that provide a physical barrier against the sun (titanium dioxide and zinc oxide). We didn't burn, but got a rash instead -- both my son and I. So, it has something irritating in it. This summer we're going to try California Baby Fragrance Free 30 SPF and Aubreys.
I also think I'd like to try Badger Balm sunscreen. The ingredients seem so simple: Active Ingredient: Micronized Zinc Oxide 20.5%
Ingredients: Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Natural Beeswax, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Cocoa Butter, Wild African Shea Butter, Organic CO2 Extract of Seabuckthorn Berry, and Essential Oils of Lavender, Moroccan Blue Tansy, Ylang Ylang, Lime and Orange.
Has anyone tried it?
#11 of 39 Old 04-26-2007, 12:09 AM

Off to check those ideas out, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geje View Post
We used Aveeno Baby last summer because it had the ingredients that provide a physical barrier against the sun (titanium dioxide and zinc oxide). We didn't burn, but got a rash instead -- both my son and I. So, it has something irritating in it. This summer we're going to try California Baby Fragrance Free 30 SPF and Aubreys.
I also think I'd like to try Badger Balm sunscreen. The ingredients seem so simple: Active Ingredient: Micronized Zinc Oxide 20.5%
Ingredients: Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Natural Beeswax, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Cocoa Butter, Wild African Shea Butter, Organic CO2 Extract of Seabuckthorn Berry, and Essential Oils of Lavender, Moroccan Blue Tansy, Ylang Ylang, Lime and Orange.
Has anyone tried it?
#12 of 39 Old 04-26-2007, 01:16 AM

Don't know if this counts as "natural", but I just got some Vanicream SPF 60 for my baby. Ingredient list is pretty short, and there are no parabens etc. Used it sunday and it worked great. She has very sensitive skin (and eczema) which is why I special ordered the sunscreen. (We use the vanicream moisturizer on her eczema.) It was pricey- but I think worth it.

Heidi , wife to my DH , mama to Hope Isobel (4/3/06), Molly Grace (7/31/09): , furbaby Callie :
#13 of 39 Old 04-26-2007, 01:19 AM

Thanks for all of your help and advice. I think I am going to try Toms of Maine silly strawberry toothpaste and California baby sunscreen. I hope we end up liking them!

Thanks again!
#14 of 39 Old 04-26-2007, 01:27 AM

We use Arbonne Baby sunscreen. Nobody in the family reacts to it! Which is a minor miracle.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#15 of 39 Old 04-26-2007, 02:19 AM

We use a lot of California Baby products (diaper area spray, hair detangler, soap/shampoos and sunscreen) and love them all. The sunscreen we buy is the fragrance free one. It's pricey but I feel good about it.
#16 of 39 Old 04-26-2007, 11:36 AM

#17 of 39 Old 04-27-2007, 06:34 PM

Another vote for the California Baby products. We use several of them and they're all great. The sunscreen works well, smells good, and is one of the least chemical-ly out there.
#18 of 39 Old 04-27-2007, 10:36 PM

Thanks for all the advice!
#19 of 39 Old 04-28-2007, 02:31 AM

My dd has super sensitive skin so the only thing I trust is Caliornia Baby

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way and not starting." - Buddha.
#20 of 39 Old 04-29-2007, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecarma View Post
Personally, I'm on the fence.

Read: http://www.terressentials.com/faq.html#sunscreen

Last summer, I mostly did not go in the sun during peak hours or covered up and put my DS in clothes / swim suits that covered him up. Only a few times on a friend's boat did I put sunscreen on him.

It makes sense to me that these chemicals may in fact be the cause of the increase in skin cancer that we are seeing....not just the ozone-loss factor.
I agree. This is what I think is advised on www.mercola.com. I just use shade and light clothing to protect from the sun. I'm not sure about unnatural things like sunscreen.
#21 of 39 Old 04-29-2007, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhow32000 View Post
I agree. This is what I think is advised on www.mercola.com. I just use shade and light clothing to protect from the sun. I'm not sure about unnatural things like sunscreen.
That's fine and dandy for many areas in the world, but we live in Florida and we spend TONS of time outdoors. Sunblock bathing suits are fantastic but they don't cover every part of your body and here, I think it'd be impossible to have an active outdoor life without wearing sunscreen IF you are light-skinned, which my children are.

I agree that sunscreens that use titanium dioxide and zinc oxide work the very best for us and last the longest when you are around water, whether it be poolside, at the beach or from sweating and running around.
#22 of 39 Old 04-29-2007, 09:53 AM

Another California baby family here. We also have some wiht citronella for bug protecion.
Ive tried several others and one of by 2 sensitive boys has broken out with anything else.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#23 of 39 Old 04-29-2007, 07:43 PM

I'm surprised to be the first one to bring this up but...micronized zinc oxide (found in California Baby, etc)...I don't trust it.

It's nanotechnology and so is very new. Regular zinc oxide doesn't get absorbed into your body, just acts as a physical barrier (hence the goopy whiteness). But with micronized zinc oxide the particles are so tiny they are bound to end up in your system.

I guess I want to know if nanoparticles of zinc oxide are bad for your body. Micronized titanium alters DNA, so definitely avoid that. I feel like the technology is so new that the jury is still out on it.

If I lived someplace hot and sunny I think I would use it on my kids over Coppertone etc. But where we live is not so hot or sunny so we use long sleeves and hats.

ETA: here's another discussion about sunscreens and micronized ingredients http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=659875
#24 of 39 Old 04-30-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhow32000 View Post
Interesting site, thanks! Also neat article about how you need 15 minutes of sun a day to keep vitamin D levels optimal.

On his site - he recommends this sunscreen. http://www.mercola.com/forms/aubrey_sunblock.htm

As much as I try to avoid it, there are times we have to be outside a long time and even the hats and clothes are not enough.
#25 of 39 Old 05-01-2007, 12:56 AM

Yep, we too use Aubrey organics when needed

I 2nd the yuck on CA baby! Just my op though!
#26 of 39 Old 05-01-2007, 01:22 PM

We use Dr. Hauschka's Sun Spray. Goes on easily, not thick and it smells great. You can get it at Whole Foods!

homeschooling mama to ella (9) and maya (5)
#27 of 39 Old 05-01-2007, 11:58 PM

My dh picked this up at our local health foods store when i sent him to get 7th Gen detergent.
http://www.kissmyface.com/Product/Ki...are/1800403EA/

Has anyone tried the burts bees chemical free sunscreen?
#28 of 39 Old 05-08-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_thurm View Post
Thanks for all of your help and advice. I think I am going to try Toms of Maine silly strawberry toothpaste and California baby sunscreen. I hope we end up liking them!

Thanks again!
My kids tear up the Toms of Maine silly toothpaste. They LOVE having their teeth brushed.

praying.gif Angela married to DHsuperhero.gif......DDguitar.gif age 7 , DDblowkiss.gif age 5 ,  DSsleepytime.gif age 4 and sadly 2 angel.gif  in heaven, Catholic and ribbonwhite.gif with a dash of crunch: hang.gif    chicken3.gif  homeschool.gif

#29 of 39 Old 05-09-2007, 01:37 PM

I'm a Floridian too, and generally make my own sunscreen for my family. I just get zinc oxide from the pharmacy and stir it together with enough olive or other natural oil to get it to the right consistancy. My dd2 burns just as soon as looks at a sunny day, so it's a great cheap and safer alternative to commercial sunscreens. Hope this helps!

Be the change you want to see in the world. - Gandhi
#30 of 39 Old 05-14-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelei View Post
I'm a Floridian too, and generally make my own sunscreen for my family. I just get zinc oxide from the pharmacy and stir it together with enough olive or other natural oil to get it to the right consistancy. My dd2 burns just as soon as looks at a sunny day, so it's a great cheap and safer alternative to commercial sunscreens. Hope this helps!
That's interesting. My kids (as well as myself) are VERY fair and have VERY sensitive skin. I would worry that mixing with an oil would promote burning though?? (Just thinking back to when I was a teenager and slathered on the baby oil -- YUCK! (and then had one of the worst burns!!))

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page