Natural skin care for sensitive/acne prone skin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-14-2007, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you use for skin care?
I have sensitive skin that is VERY acne prone. I've been battling acne for the past 18 years of my life. Obviously, it's been a losing battle.
Currently, I use Johnson and Johnsons Clean and Clear facial cleanser. I use Dove to moistureize. On occasion, I use Queen Helene's Mint Julep mask. I use Arbonne's spot treatment, which contains salicylic acid. I've been getting awful pimples on my chin and around my mouth. The Arbonne stuff doesn't seem to be working. I have left the minut julep mask on overnight which dries things out a little and shrinks the whiteheads.
I want to move away from using the Clean and Clear for sure. I know it's not the best for my skin and I'm not a big J&J fan. I've read about people using honey for cleanser. How is that working for those of you who use it?
What about moisturizer? I have a hard time finding a moisturizer that doesn't irritate my skin. I would like something more natural. Cost is an issue. I do not have any money to spend on myself and I can't buy $15 dollar soaps and facial products.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#2 of 8 Old 04-15-2007, 05:02 AM

Try sulfur soap. Where I live (large Hispanic community) it's found in the "ethnic" section of most stores. It's something like $0.99 a bar, comes in a orange box and has writing in english on one side and spanish on the other. Smells funny, obviously, but works really well. I had horrible acne when I was younger and it works really well for me. It also lightens any red/dark spots left behind by acne. I was looking for a picture and found this site
http://www.hbamart.com/catalog/index...034d5f677827d1
Apparently, it also comes in a bottle. Huh, never knew that.

That particular brand of soap, Grisi, also makes other soaps like: pearl, oat, neutral, avocado, almond, seaweed, honey, olive oil, tomato.... I love that brand.
#3 of 8 Old 04-15-2007, 07:36 AM

Tea Tree Oil is great for acne. I have a tea tree oil gel that I put on breakouts which dries them out without going so far as redness or flaking. You need a really light moisturizer too - Dove is way too heavy. I use Avalon Organics Lavender for sensitive skin, but anything that says "light" and doesn't have a ton of heavy oils, lanolin, etc. Almond oil is fairly light, I think. There are also oil-free moisturizers which might be even better. I cleanse with a scrub for sensitive skin in the shower a few times a week and just use water the rest of the time (with a washcloth or cotton ball if I'm taking makeup off). HTH.
#4 of 8 Old 04-15-2007, 10:12 AM

Does the acne on your chin get worse during a certain time of your cycle? Acne on chin is usually caused by hormones.

The best thing I found so far is to exfoliate with Scotch tape! Just stick on, and gently peel off. Do this about twice a week, and make sure to use sunscreen.

Baking soda paste also works well on stubborn acne. I dab it on before I go to bed, and it's significantly smaller the next day.

You might also want to consider taking herbal supplements. I take Vitex (chasteberry). It's supposed to regulate your hormones. It helps w/ my PMS for sure!

Are you dieting and losing weight? If so, the toxins that get released from your fat cells could be contributing to the acne. Drink tons of water.

I would definitely switch your cleanser. I use Burt's Bee's garden carrot soap to remove makeup. The soap will last a looong time. Then I tone with Nivea Viage moisturizing toner (haven't found a cheaper natural alternative). I just started using this and love it! And I moisturize with olive squalene and vitamin E. My pores clog very easily, espcially w/ oils, but none of these do.

~Katie
#5 of 8 Old 04-15-2007, 06:38 PM

I use honey and baking soda. It works great. Although in the morning, I almost always forget to bring the honey in the shower so just wash my face with Dr. Bronner's. I use Desert Essence facial moisturizer, which I like and it doesn't seem greasy, and also coconut oil, but only use that on my cheeks.

I switched to this routine maybe a month or so ago and my face is looking a lot better, less red and irritated. I did still get a couple zits around my period but not too bad. I really doubt I'll ever have perfectly clear skin.

What kind of make up do you use (if any)? I also switched to mineral makeup so I don't know if that is playing a role in better skin too. I use Everyday Minerals.
#6 of 8 Old 04-15-2007, 10:08 PM

I use the same guiding principle with body-care that I do with foods: no or fewest possible indredients. I am really enjoying coconut oil for a moisturizer and honey to wash my face. I think maybe the honey pulls "impurities" out or something, so seems like maybe at first it's getting worse, but then, better than ever.
#7 of 8 Old 04-17-2007, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindberg99 View Post

What kind of make up do you use (if any)? I also switched to mineral makeup so I don't know if that is playing a role in better skin too. I use Everyday Minerals.
I RARELY use make-up. It's not for lack of want...I don't know how to apply it well or pick good colors for me. I would like to wear it on occasion, but I don't for fear of applying wrong. I know it sounds silly. When I do use make-up, I use Clinique. I'll have to look into mineral make-up. I saw an informercial for something called Sheer Cover. It's too expensive for me and I never order from infomercials, but it got me thinking of mineral make-up.
Thanks to everyone for the replies and the ideas! I'm going to try a few different things to see what works best for me.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#8 of 8 Old 04-19-2007, 07:04 PM

I've heard good things about Mario Badescu http://www.mariobadescu.com/ . Apparently all the famous and beautiful people use it. I have personally used their Drying Lotion overnight on breakouts and it is rather amazing. You can get free samples online or at Nordstroms.

I love other Arbonne products but haven't tried the acne line. I just bought/received some of it for my husband yesterday. Hope he has better luck with it than you have.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page