How can I soften the skin on my heels?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-16-2007, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The skin on my heels and my big toes is so bad! Very thick and hara, what can I do naturally to take care of this problem??

Thanks!
Anna
#2 of 10 Old 04-16-2007, 12:19 PM

For me, as long as I don't walk around bare foot or wear sandals my feet have soft skin. As soon as summer comes around, they get pretty 'natural'

Rhianna momma to ds #1 - 9 & ds #2 - born 10/22/2012

#3 of 10 Old 04-16-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarlough View Post
For me, as long as I don't walk around bare foot or wear sandals my feet have soft skin. As soon as summer comes around, they get pretty 'natural'
Yep, me, too.

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#4 of 10 Old 04-16-2007, 12:27 PM

I would start with a good soak in a bowl or tub of warm water. My neighbor swears by olive oil and warm water soaks. I have been soaking in warm water for about 20 minutes to soften the skin. Then, I take a rough cloth and rub as much of the dead skin off as I can. If they are really bad, I actually take a razor to them and "shave" away as much callous as I am able to without going too close to new skin.
The best natural help I have found so far (and I have tried many, many lotions) is the Burts Bees Coconut Foot Creme. I lather it on then cover my feet with some cozy socks.
Wear socks and shoes as much as you can stand. This is the only way I have found to keep my feet looking healthy. It's so hard for me cause I am used to slipping on my old chacos and heading out the door. putting on shoes and socks is a bit unnatural for me (I was barefoot most of my childhood, running around the pool decks at swim meets).

Good luck,a nd let us know if you find something that works!

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#5 of 10 Old 04-16-2007, 12:45 PM

Why would you want to get rid of this protective layer? It helps me walking around barefoot.

If you really have to, use some Pumice-stone, to softly rub it off.
#6 of 10 Old 04-16-2007, 01:31 PM

I love and swear by Diamancel files.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#7 of 10 Old 04-16-2007, 06:52 PM

Hello Everyone,
My feet used to look horrible with rough, dry skin.

Now I soak them for about 10-15 minutes in warm water and add a little baking soda. Pat dry and apply organic coconut oil. Put on some cotton socks and go to bed.

The coconut oil is the only thing that has helped me. Years ago as a last resort I would use vaseline but I don't use those types of products anymore.

gl
hth

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

#8 of 10 Old 04-16-2007, 06:59 PM

I just read about how yellow skin on the bottom of feet is usually athlete's foot - the fungus eats the keratin protein so the skin makes more and it's yellowish and thick. Check out some photos of mocassin foot style athlete's foot photos.

Personally, I went pharmaceutical on mine with some Lamisil, but you might try some natural antifungals.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#9 of 10 Old 04-16-2007, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

mines not yellow, just thick. I just dont like how it looks, thats why I would like to get rid of it. I am a sahm so I am barefoot ALL the time, rarely do I remember to put my slippers on, thought I DO wear nice plush socks most of the time. I will have to try to soak them and use the coconut oil...do I need to file away the old skin or will put the coconut oil soften it back up to 'normal' skin??
I need to get coconut oil anyway as I am hearing how benefial it is in so many areas...I did try it on my baby when she had eczema hoping that it would help, but it didnt =( I'm hoping it works better on me!

Anna
#10 of 10 Old 04-17-2007, 03:08 AM

Callused, sometimes cracking feet can be an early indicator of glucose intolerance which can be a precursor to diabetes. In other words, if your body is having trouble dealing with sugar and white foods, then a common early sign of that is callused feet.

I don't know if this is true of you, but when I gave up sugar, my feet naturally softened up tremendously, yet I can still go barefoot quite comfortably.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page