Can you use baking soda as toothpaste? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 04-19-2007, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A few weeks ago we ran out of toothpaste. I have tons of baking soda around so I put that on my toothbrush with a couple of drops of spearmint essential oil. It made my whole mouth feel great. So that's what I've been using since with excellent results. Sometimes I switch the essential oil for a different "flavor". Anyway, any reason why I should continue? I mean, it's definitely the most natural toothpaste I can think of and it works. And I know they say that what is more important than the toothpaste is the actual brushing. Any ideas?

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 04-20-2007, 11:41 PM

Baking soda is what people used to use way back when and from what I understand it's the best thing for your teeth! I'm going to be trying it when we run out.

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :
#3 of 24 Old 04-20-2007, 11:44 PM

My 90-year old grandmother swears by it. I don't recall her ever using anything else. And her teeth are quite lovely.
#4 of 24 Old 04-21-2007, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I use it as toothpaste. I tried it way back like 20 years ago when I heard it helped cut down on gingivitis or something, but it tasted so bad I couldn't keep it up, so I just bought the toothpaste with baking soda in it. Now I just use it, sometimes with tto on it for another taste, and I rinse the saltiness out afterwards.
#5 of 24 Old 04-21-2007, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yes, it makes them clean and pearly white. Taste is pretty bad, though.
#6 of 24 Old 04-21-2007, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys!! It does taste pretty bad by itself but a drop or two of spearmint essential oil masks it quite nicely!

Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#7 of 24 Old 04-23-2007, 06:25 PM

I've also heard putting a little peroxide in the mix is natural, safe and good for both killing bad breath germs and for whitening teeth.
#8 of 24 Old 04-23-2007, 09:40 PM

My grandmother just passed away at the age of 98.

SHe has used baking soda her entire life. She died with all of her teeth, and not one cavity.

However, she ate healthy, chewed peppermint & Spearmint leaves, and made her own moonshine. SO, who knows what made her so healthy. (my bet is on the moonshine)
#9 of 24 Old 05-02-2007, 04:23 PM

How much EO do you put in? i am scared because the bottle says must dilute properly or it is dangerous...another dumb questions for you gals why is it so hard for me to get even a drop out of the EO bottles? I press on the little plastic thing in hopes this would make the oil come out but it taked me like 5 trys before I get some…an I doing something wrong?
I am going to defiantly switch to this as it is much cheaper….do you just mix it with water until its pasty? Can you put it in a plastic container and hold it for as long as you want?
#10 of 24 Old 05-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Banned

I think something that is worth mentioning is to buy the baking soda meant for baking, not for cleaning. The "grains" are a lot smaller and I read somewhere (here, I believe) that using the cleaning type of baking soda can wear away at the enamel on your teeth.
#11 of 24 Old 05-02-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post
(my bet is on the moonshine)
bet yer right!

i use bs, just plain. i dont mind the taste-- i have a mint aversion, from preg that has stuck around-- but i do rinse very well. i might have to try the peroxide thing. anyone have any other tips on that? i dont want to foam at the mouth....
#12 of 24 Old 05-02-2007, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry_mama View Post
I think something that is worth mentioning is to buy the baking soda meant for baking, not for cleaning. The "grains" are a lot smaller and I read somewhere (here, I believe) that using the cleaning type of baking soda can wear away at the enamel on your teeth.
I wasn't aware that there were multiple types of baking soda. I get mine bulk at Costco and on the back it has all the cleaning uses as well as the baking uses. I must look into that.

As for the EO . . . I have my bs stored in a small glass canister. I rinse my toothbrush, stick it in the canister while it's still wet and the bs sticks to the toothbrush. I drop one or maximum 2 drops on there and then run enough water (a very little) to make a paste and then brush.

#13 of 24 Old 05-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Banned

I think the only time there are different "types" of baking sodas is those kind that are meant to deoderize your fridge. Ya know the kind that don't really open? They just have a vent? And also the kind that are marketed for carpet cleaner, in a shaker bottle? Those are very granular, the companies don't bother making those into fine powders because they aren't meant to be injested.

I think every other "kind" of baking soda is fine!
#14 of 24 Old 05-03-2007, 02:00 PM

Nice, good feedback everyone....very helpful.
a little off topic hear but can any of you recomend a good book of tips on simple living? i want to go back to basics to save money...nothing too extreme but would like to find some tips. thanks all!
#15 of 24 Old 05-08-2007, 02:19 PM

I used to use baking soda but my dentist told me to stop and not to use the toothpaste with baking soda in it either because it is too harsh and strips the enamel. I think you should just double-check with your dentist, you'd hate to find out years later that its caused problems when you could have asked. Also, I didn't know there are different types of baking soda either so that might make a difference. Please let us know if you find out more. I used to use it plain, you just get over the taste. What I loved about it was my teeth always felt so clean.

Christina
#16 of 24 Old 05-08-2007, 02:37 PM

My husband and I swear by using BS. My husband started first and I thought, oh how nasty. I usually end up eventually trying my husband's new ideas...as he is the one who does all of the natural research and has helped me navigate myself into the more healthy natural lifestyle..which I love now.....but anyway...we had bought some "natural" toothpaste and were running out. I tried using my son's natural toothpaste, but did not like the taste and my teeth didn't feel clean. I used bs once and will never go back again. It's salty...but easy to get used to. I haven't tried the EO yet...but want to. The nice thing is, when you rinse, the water tastes nice and sweet because of the saltiness of the bs. When I started I wet my toothbrugh, dipped the edge of the bristles in the bs, and sprayed some hydrogen peroxide on the toothbrush to wet it further. I do not use the hp all the time now though because I have heard that it can weaken your teeth and had some sensitivity. I try to use it occasionally to take care of bacteria or to make my mouth extra fresh.

I would reccommend this to everyone, it's cheaper and you get better results! I have even got my son (21months) used to it and plan on keeping it that way!

HAPPY BRUSHING!!!
#17 of 24 Old 05-09-2007, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinah View Post
I used to use baking soda but my dentist told me to stop and not to use the toothpaste with baking soda in it either because it is too harsh and strips the enamel.
I'll bet you your dentist has a contract with a toothpaste company. ;-)

P.S. I use baking soda for almost EVERYTHING.. ok.. well, not everything, but as deodourant (applied right after my rock crystal), toothpaste, cleaner, and deodouriser for the cat box, fridge, etc. Oh yes.. and occasionally the laundry (when I don't plan on putting vinegar in the rinse cycle that is!! LOL).

I'm a queer, poly, pagan, (dis)abled, crazy, crunchy, intersectionally-minded feminist. fsonj & I are mamas to our unschooled/freeschooled 12yo & 3yo!  (Ask me about co-breastfeeding, supplementing at the breast, inducing lactation, eating placentas, undisturbed birth, and parenting a genderqueer child with Aspergers!)
#18 of 24 Old 05-09-2007, 03:00 PM

Certain types of baking soda DO strip the enamal from teeth and causes scratches and sensitisation.
No harm to check with your dentist fist. It would be a pity to risk inviting problems.
However,m you can buy a toothpaste which contains finely milled baking soda ground especially for that purpose.
#19 of 24 Old 05-13-2007, 02:10 AM

someone asked whether anyone knows of a book on simple living... well, one (in terms of cleaning) is: Clean House, Clean Planet by Karen Logan. I haven't finished reading it yet, but what I have read is absolutely great! It will not only save you money on all the cleaners you usually buy, but it will make things much safer around your house too! (way too many chemicals that can be toxic and harmful in all those normal products!)

hope this helps you all-
M.
#20 of 24 Old 05-13-2007, 02:17 AM

I don't even mind the taste. When I was pregnant, all toothpastes made me want to gag, so I used straight up baking soda. I used in in college when I was crunchier, too.
#21 of 24 Old 07-24-2007, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinah View Post
I used to use baking soda but my dentist told me to stop and not to use the toothpaste with baking soda in it either because it is too harsh and strips the enamel. I think you should just double-check with your dentist, you'd hate to find out years later that its caused problems when you could have asked. Also, I didn't know there are different types of baking soda either so that might make a difference. Please let us know if you find out more. I used to use it plain, you just get over the taste. What I loved about it was my teeth always felt so clean.
I also had a dentist tell me this...and although a PP mentioned that maybe the dentist "had a contract with a toothpaste company", I doubt that would be true, since most toothpaste brands have both baking soda and regular choices.
#22 of 24 Old 07-30-2007, 10:30 AM

It works as good, if not better, than toothpaste, but it tastes HORRIBLE!

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#23 of 24 Old 08-10-2007, 09:34 PM

That's what we use. We love the taste. Have to watch DS because he will eat it out of the jar.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#24 of 24 Old 08-11-2007, 12:21 AM

Lol... EEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.

User Tag List