Diva Cup Vs. the Keeper:which one? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 04-21-2007, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I am now 13 months post partum, no AF yet, but it feels as though things are moving down there (TMI!) I would really like to use a Diva or Keeper, but wonder which one is better...any insight ladies?

Thanks!
#2 of 43 Old 04-21-2007, 04:41 PM

I love my Diva! What do you want to know?

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#3 of 43 Old 04-21-2007, 04:53 PM

My vote is totally for the dive....I have had both...

The keeper has a much longer stem which some people find really uncomfortable (not an issue for me)

But the diva is made out of silicone and is way softer and does not hurt upon removal...the keeper was uncomfortable for me when I was taking it out

My cycles are WAY more comfortable now that I am using a cup

-L
#4 of 43 Old 04-21-2007, 05:04 PM

I have had no problems with my Diva, but I do have a problem with The Keeper releasing a product called The Moon Cup, which is very confusing since there is already a UK product called the Mooncup:

Petition against The Keeper, Inc.

so I will not be buying their product. My dd was having some difficulty with her Diva and I understand that younger or smaller women sometimes find the UK Mooncup to be a better fit.
#5 of 43 Old 04-21-2007, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post
I love my Diva! What do you want to know?

Is it comfortable? How often do you have to empty it? What did you use before the Diva? Is there a difference between the 2 in design/shape? Have you had any problems with either one? Sorry, I am full of questions!

I am a member of Frontier, and they will have both Diva and Keeper marked down 30% in May, so it makes it very reasonable (esp since I had originally planned to use org cotton tamps when AF returns, and with org tamps at $5/box, a cup looks like a better way to go!)

Thank you!!!!
#6 of 43 Old 04-23-2007, 10:45 AM

I prefer the UK Mooncup because it's the size/length of the Keeper but silicone like the DivaCup. I really prefer that because if I was to ever drop it in a public toilet or anything, I'd need to boil it before I could stand to use it again!

Since you can get it for a good price from Frontier, I'd recommend trying the DivaCup but that's for purely aesthetic reasons.
#7 of 43 Old 04-23-2007, 10:15 PM

I would say the Diva.....I love, love, love mine : . The UK mooncup is good as well. How often do you empty? Well, I'd say that has a lot to do with how heavy your flow is.....you can leave it is overnight, although I haven't had to do this as my AF is almost non-existent since having the mirena put in

If they are both going to be on sale I would definitely go with the Diva....good luck which ever you choose, I don't know how anyone uses tampons or maxi's since using this......
#8 of 43 Old 04-24-2007, 01:44 PM

Definitely go for the silicone Diva over the gum rubber Keeper. But if you can get the silicone Moon Cup manufactured by The Keeper for the same price, I'd choose that over a Diva. I've seen more leaking and not-unfolding-during-insertion issues regarding the stiffer silicone of the Diva, both here on MDC and the Yahoo! Diva/Keeper/Mooncup users group.

I love my Moon Cup (by The Keeper, not the UK one). I've only used it for three cycles so far, but I can't imagine going back to pads or tampons! Have yet to have a leak, and I wear it day & night - cd1 & 2 are my heaviest and I can usually go 6-8 hours between emptying it, and then every 12 hours for the rest of the days.
#9 of 43 Old 04-25-2007, 07:18 PM

FYI, it looks like there will be a mooncup(uk) coop going on over in the coop board. This is the brand I've decided to get for dd and myself.
#10 of 43 Old 04-25-2007, 08:05 PM

I have used both, and according to instructions for the keeper you can trim the stem. I couldn't get a "smooth edge" though.

My biggest reason for switching, however, is the fact the keeper has latex in it. I am an RN, and am exposed to lots of latex on the job (gloves, etc). The last thing I wanted was to expose such a sensitive area to latex! An allergy, if it got severe, would be a hassle on the job

I use my keeper on the heavier days of my flow, with Lunapads backup, as well as just lunapads pantiliner/minipads when my flow is spotty/light.

An aside...how do you all clean yours? I have been getting a mild yeast infection every month just after my period, and I have done everything I can think of to prevent it, also even dh and I were treated with oral meds. I am suspecting it may be from the cup. Do you use vinegar or boil it or something?

Tina

Tina, RN, wife-y to J, mom to dd (10) and ds (7)
"Beware the lollipop of mediocracy...one lick and you suck forever!"
#11 of 43 Old 04-26-2007, 10:06 AM

Tina- the Keeper can't be boiled, that's another plus for the silicone cups in my book. You could soak the Keeper in a mild solution of vinegar, however if that doesn't work and you continue have yeast probs I would consider getting a Mooncup or DivaCup so that you could boil it between cycles and eliminate the chances of giving yourself the the infection again after having to treat dh and yourself. :

Since you're an RN, I'd say you know what a yeast infection is- but it there any chance that it's not actually yeast colonization but a reaction to the natural gum rubber? When I realized I had a sensitivity to spermicide, the symptoms were much like a yeast or bacterial infection.

Good luck!
#12 of 43 Old 04-28-2007, 02:37 PM

I vote for the Diva Cup, too. I've tried both and like the Diva because it is softer and clear so you can see what's in it!
#13 of 43 Old 04-28-2007, 10:52 PM

I am sensitive to latex, so I got he Diva cup and love it.
#14 of 43 Old 04-28-2007, 11:26 PM

I have a Mooncup and love it. I had read that some people had problems with the Diva Cup so I decided to try the Mooncup instead. I have not had it for long, but have been amazed at how happy I am with it.
#15 of 43 Old 04-29-2007, 01:23 AM

The KEEPER has LATEX??!?!?!?!

OMg- I'm so glad I checked here first because I have a latex allergy!!!!!!!!!!)

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#16 of 43 Old 04-29-2007, 09:59 AM

ambrose- the Keeper is natural gum rubber... I think the concern is that it's close enough to manufactured latex that those with sensitivity should avoid the natural gum rubber as well. Just to be safe, I'd go with the DivaCup or Mooncup.
#17 of 43 Old 04-29-2007, 10:36 AM

I love my keeper. When I first heard about menstrual cups 6 years ago the Keeper was the only one I could find so I got one. Now I know about the silicone version I'd probably go for that - but I have heard a lot of women say they have problems with leakage from the Diva so I'd stick to the silicone keeper version.
#18 of 43 Old 04-29-2007, 03:52 PM

I have the diva cup. I am pretty happy with it. It took some time to get use to, and I still have days where I needed to re-adjust a few times to get the position right. Like pp have already mention, I choose it because it is silicone, ie; no chance of latex allergy and you can sterile it. (The gum rubber the keeper is made out of is porous, so if you have a vaginal infection the bacterial/yeast can hang out and re-infect you later.)
Here is a link of pictures of all the cups next to each other.
#19 of 43 Old 04-29-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momazon4 View Post
FYI, it looks like there will be a mooncup(uk) coop going on over in the coop board. This is the brand I've decided to get for dd and myself.

I have a uk mooncup and it is really good. I have converted so many people since I got it! I only have to change it every 10 hours or so too so it is so much more convienient than tampax! My american friend here recently changed from a diva to a mooncup and prefers it too.
#20 of 43 Old 04-29-2007, 04:59 PM

Is there a link for the UK mooncup and not the keeper one?

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#21 of 43 Old 04-29-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose View Post
Is there a link for the UK mooncup and not the keeper one?
Here - http://www.mooncup.co.uk/
#22 of 43 Old 04-29-2007, 05:09 PM

I have the keeper and the divacup, started off with the keeper and post partum bought a diva cup because it was prettier Honestly I liked the keeper better, but only because the divacup has ridges down by the stem and it really irrated me where I had had a tiny tear after birth, even though the tear was supposedly healed. I just trimmed the long stem on the keeper.
#23 of 43 Old 04-29-2007, 06:14 PM

I have only used the Diva Cup and for only one AF but I am really loving it. So comfortable and so easy to forget about. It was great.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#24 of 43 Old 05-01-2007, 03:27 PM

Just casting my vote for the Diva cup. I used it for 4 years before I got pregnant with my dd and I only had it leak twice. It also comes with a little pin, which in our house means watch out I'm feeling b@tchy.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#25 of 43 Old 05-01-2007, 03:43 PM

I had a keeper before I had my DS and loved it! I actually looked forward to getting my period because I thought it was so cool to use (yes, I know, a bit strange ). I just received my Diva in the mail and have yet to use it. I bought a Diva this time around because I like that the silicone can be boiled if need be.
#26 of 43 Old 05-01-2007, 04:07 PM

I loved my keeper & used it for over a year before I developed a reaction to the latex . Let me tell you that you do not want an allergic reaction down there.... it was miserable! I bought a diva and think it's even better, it feels more flexible & didn't leak any more than the keeper ( I have a day of VERY heavy flow so I use cloth back-up that day). I also like that it can be boiled... and that it's clear for some reason .
#27 of 43 Old 05-01-2007, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've used the Diva Cup for over four years, and I absolutely love it. I have a pretty heavy flow, so I do use cloth as a backup, but I've only ever had a couple of leaks, and those were overnight. I'm telling you: it's almost like not having AF - I would never go back to tampons. I really like that I can boil the Diva Cup to sanitize.

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
#28 of 43 Old 05-04-2007, 07:46 PM

Now that coops are up and running....BUMP!!!
#29 of 43 Old 05-13-2007, 11:59 PM

Could you tell me where to find the co-ops? Thanks
Nancy
#30 of 43 Old 05-14-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaveggie View Post
It also comes with a little pin, which in our house means watch out I'm feeling b@tchy.
: Do you really wear the pin?!?! That is SOOO FUNNY!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page