natural deoderant that works... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 432 Old 06-23-2007, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Within the past year, during my quest for finding a natural deodorant that actually lasted 8 hours, I came upon the Tropical Traditions deodorant. I was considering buying it, but the price bothered me and I hadn't read any feedback on it (other than what was posted on the website). Since they didn't offer any samples or travel sizes I passed.

I was also skeptical that a deodorant made from extra virgin coconut oil could provide any deodorant protection. Now that I read posts from people on this board who swear by using just plain coconut oil as a deodorant, I may reconsider trying it (the deodorants are now on sale).
Nonniecita,
How long have you been using it and which scent do you use? Does it have a strong coconut scent? Also, does it go on clear?
#62 of 432 Old 06-23-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniecita View Post
I have tried a lot of the natural deoderants and they didn't really work, but a few months ago found tropical traditions deoderant...it works great for me, no smell at all, even in summer!
It's expensive, but worth it to me.
Here's the link:
http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/deodorant.htm
I also use their insect repellent and toothpaste

HTH!!
Michelle
This website looks great! Thanks!
#63 of 432 Old 06-23-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrlsix View Post
Within the past year, during my quest for finding a natural deodorant that actually lasted 8 hours, I came upon the Tropical Traditions deodorant. I was considering buying it, but the price bothered me and I hadn't read any feedback on it (other than what was posted on the website). Since they didn't offer any samples or travel sizes I passed.

I was also skeptical that a deodorant made from extra virgin coconut oil could provide any deodorant protection. Now that I read posts from people on this board who swear by using just plain coconut oil as a deodorant, I may reconsider trying it (the deodorants are now on sale).
Nonniecita,
How long have you been using it and which scent do you use? Does it have a strong coconut scent? Also, does it go on clear?
Hey!
I tried plain coconut oil and it was too greasy for me...but it did work. Umm, it 's been a few months (same bottle) and I got the lavender scent...it smells sooo good, no coconut scent or oilyness at all. It does take a bit to dry like any roll-on. It goes on clear
I don't know if they're really on sale or if their "sale price" is just marketing, it was that price when I bought it??? I hope you like it....pm me and lmk! I think any of them would smell good, I'm just a lavender fan.

Michelle

Oh yea, I get their virgin coconut oil too, but only on sale! Sometimes they have a b1g1 free sale.
#64 of 432 Old 06-23-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milky_mama View Post
This website looks great! Thanks!
you're welcome:
#65 of 432 Old 06-24-2007, 11:22 AM

Nonniecita,
Thanx for posting the info.

If I do decide to try the Tropical Traditions deodorant, I will probably get the "classic" scent. For some reason lavendar does a weird, funky mix with my body chemistry. When I was using the Kiss My Face Liquid Rock in lavender, when the lavender mixed with my sweat it would cause my underarms to have a sour smell. I know it was the deodorant causing the odor because when I smelled the rest of my shirt, it stilled smelled laundry fresh despite my heavy perspiring.
#66 of 432 Old 06-24-2007, 03:36 PM

Wow, if you want to try it and nothing else, you have to buy 2 plus something... to meet the $16 minimum. Yikes! That is a lot including shipping:
#67 of 432 Old 06-25-2007, 08:30 AM

Where on the website does it mention a minimum purchase? That is a lot if you only want to try one product.
#68 of 432 Old 06-25-2007, 11:59 AM

When I tried to checkout with only the deodorant, it stated that I needed to have $16 in items and would not let me check out. Is anyone interested in going in together (like a co-op, but not really since the price wouldn't be reduced)?

Mods - please let me know if this request is inappropriate here (sorry if this is the case)
#69 of 432 Old 06-25-2007, 12:17 PM

Okay. When I tried to check out with one deodorant, I only got as far as the login for new customers. I didn't want to enter my personal information if I wasn't sure I was going to order anything. Thanx for letting us know about the minimum.
#70 of 432 Old 06-26-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaffNowCryLater View Post
I just started using the crystal kind. I went to work all day constantly moving (I'm a waitress) and then drove home with no A/C, went tanning : and still have no odor!! Plus it was $5.99 for a rock that is supposed to last a year.
I've been using the crystal roll-on and stick off an on during the past year. When applied correctly, it will definitely keep B.O. at bay. On me, I've found that it will last on avevrage 8-10 hours, sometimes 12 hours, depending on how physically active I am and how much sweating I'm doing. I've yet to find that it gives me 24-hour protection with just one application.

The key to getting 24-hour protection with the crystal deodorants is to apply it every 12 hours: Once after your morning shower or bath, and then 12 hours later after you shower or bathe.
#71 of 432 Old 06-26-2007, 01:18 PM

I've noticed that every week or so, I need to give my crystal stick a good scrubbing or it smells...funky.

I have the Black Cedar Fig Funk Butter too (oh lordy will that woman make a perfume spray out of it already! PLEEEEASE! : ) but if I use it for too many days straight, it leaves a strange peely BROWN rash under my arms. I tend to switch up deodorants (crystal stick, crystal spray, Funk Butter, Alba, even LUSH T'eo)...
#72 of 432 Old 06-26-2007, 01:50 PM

Grrlsix - just break down and use the coconut oil - you'll get 24+ hour stink-free freedom...

You know you wannaaaaaa.
#73 of 432 Old 06-26-2007, 02:04 PM

I have been loving it, actually. I mix up a bunch (maybe 1/2 cup?) of CO with a teaspoon of baking soda. I find that for my body chemistry, the straight Spastica method doesn't work but I just rub a bit of the CO/BS in my pits and it lasts for 36 hrs plus if I forget to reappy/miss my morning shower. It also leaves no residue, and I actually smell GOOD not just "not gross"
#74 of 432 Old 06-26-2007, 02:28 PM

Are you doing the entire method? I don't just use CO by itself, or it doesn't work for me. I have to do the entire scrub AND ACV and then CO thing. I'm pretty stinky so I have to do all three. If I skip something, I'll stink.
#75 of 432 Old 06-26-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica View Post
Grrlsix - just break down and use the coconut oil - you'll get 24+ hour stink-free freedom...

You know you wannaaaaaa.
I am loving the coconut oil! It's cleared up the red bumps I had in my pits from ingrown hairs and it's soothing. The only thing I wish is that it had some sort of scent. I know it's crazy - but I like my pits to smell good. The CO keeps body odor at bay but I still smell like well.....me I don't smell bad but it would be nice to smell like lavender or lemongrass I'm going to try adding a drop or two to my jar of CO and see how that does.

I don't do the whole routine - I just take a shower in the morning, wash with handcrafted soap and then rub in virgin coconut oil. I know there was debate about whether virgin needed to be used but I really think to get the full benefits, virgin, unrefined coconut oil must be used. VCO retains all the bacteria inhibiting properties that can be stripped out in the refining process. For those who aren't having luck with coconut oil, maybe try virgin, unrefined and see if that works better for you.
#76 of 432 Old 06-26-2007, 03:35 PM

Amcal - you're blessed by not being so naturally stinky!

Coconut oil is a good carrier oil - you can add any kind of essential oil to it. Deodorizing ones are: most citrus oils, lavender, tea tree oil, cedarwood, sandalwood, geranium, and others I'm sure I'm missing.

I really love using essential oils. I think after my fibroid surgery, I may use more essential oils again, but who knows. The whole natural stuff came about for me because of the stupid fibroid; hopefully I won't slip back too much with chemical-laden foods and products I still like being natural since most of the time it's frugal, but with losing my boyfriend, everything seems so pointless. I'll try to keep on track tho.
#77 of 432 Old 06-26-2007, 03:56 PM

I use Lafe's Natural Crystal, and I LOVE it! it works awesome, I apply after my morning shower, and after I shower or bath in the evening. I just wet it, and put a couple swipes on and it's great.

The only problem I have is it really stings right after I shave. More than antiperspirant, actually. But that only lasts a few seconds.

I do have fewer odour problems when I shave regularly anyhow, though. (I get lazy during the winter, and don't' shave, since no on would be able to see the nasty hair anyhow!
#78 of 432 Old 06-26-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeJane View Post
I've noticed that every week or so, I need to give my crystal stick a good scrubbing or it smells...funky.
Do you apply the crystal immediately after you shower or bathe? Does anyone else share your crystal? I heard of this happening when someone forgets to wash their underarms before they applied the crystal or if they let their husband or boyfriend share it and didn't always apply it to freshly washed underarms. When this occurred, the crystal took on the odor of that person's BO. A few people stated that they had to toss it and buy a brand new crystal deodorant because they couldn't get rid of th BO smell from their crystal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcat View Post
I do have fewer odour problems when I shave regularly anyhow, though. (I get lazy during the winter, and don't' shave, since no on would be able to see the nasty hair anyhow!
I felt the same way at one time too; however, I'm in between waxings (long overdue) and the Funk Butter and the Crystal roll-on are working just as well as when I am hairless.
#79 of 432 Old 06-26-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Are you doing the entire method? I don't just use CO by itself, or it doesn't work for me. I have to do the entire scrub AND ACV and then CO thing. I'm pretty stinky so I have to do all three. If I skip something, I'll stink.
Yep, I use the whole routine. I only use baking soda and honey and ACV in the shower for all of me. So I do the scrub with BS/spritz with ACV, rinse, CO with BS. I think it's just my chemistry because after about 4 or 5 hrs on a hot day I would be slightly smelly with just the CO after the scrub/spritz/rinse. But I have an ultra-sensitive nose. Any time I have asked a sister or close friend if I smell, they can't smell anything, but I can smell it. LOL, and I am really conscious of not wanting to smell bad.

The small amount of BS is gentle enough for my skin, and does the job without being to harsh.
#80 of 432 Old 06-26-2007, 07:35 PM

Does the BS flake off or put a residue on clothes? Just wondering.
#81 of 432 Old 06-26-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Does the BS flake off or put a residue on clothes? Just wondering.
Nope, nada. It's really such a small quantity, I don't think it could. Each day it's a tiny fraction of a teaspoon- my 1/2 cup of CO lasts for about 3-4 weeks, so a 25th of a teaspoon? I haven't seen any residue on my clothes, and I wear a lot of grey/black/brown/deep burgundy.
#82 of 432 Old 06-26-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
I know there was debate about whether virgin needed to be used but I really think to get the full benefits, virgin, unrefined coconut oil must be used. VCO retains all the bacteria inhibiting properties that can be stripped out in the refining process. For those who aren't having luck with coconut oil, maybe try virgin, unrefined and see if that works better for you.
I've been doing the BS/ACV and CO routine with refined coconut oil because I have a lot on hand and it's worked just fine.
#83 of 432 Old 06-27-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Grrlsix - just break down and use the coconut oil - you'll get 24+ hour stink-free freedom...You know you wannaaaaaa.
You know I ammmmmmmmmaaaaaa!

I'm just waiting to get my lazy butt to the store to purchase some coconut oil. I'm not going to spend a lot of money on a jar (at least the brand I used before-Garden of Life-which is extra virgin and organic coconut oil) just for deodorant. I also want to use if for cooking as well.

Quote:
I had planned on just using the coconut oil by itself. I thought that this was enough deodorant protection on its own. You mean I have to do all three methods in order for it to work?!? That's an extra step in my morning routine.
#84 of 432 Old 06-27-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
I am loving the coconut oil! It's cleared up the red bumps I had in my pits from ingrown hairs and it's soothing. The only thing I wish is that it had some sort of scent. I know it's crazy - but I like my pits to smell good. The CO keeps body odor at bay but I still smell like well.....me I don't smell bad...
Interesting.... I thought that using the cocunut oil, especially the E.V.C. oil, would leave a faint smell of the coconut to linger through out the day. Just curious, when using the coconut oil alone as a deodorant, how many hours does it last before you start to smell any BO?
#85 of 432 Old 06-27-2007, 09:33 AM

Yesterday it was in the low 90s here and very humid. My clothes started to smell around 5 in the evening. Interestingly, my pits didn't smell ... just the underarms of my shirts.

On the other days, when it hasn't been so hot, I haven't smelled at all.

dm
#86 of 432 Old 06-27-2007, 09:57 AM

You're just using the straight coconut oil alone as a deodorant and not doing the BS, ACV routine too, right?
#87 of 432 Old 06-27-2007, 10:37 AM

For me, I have to do the scrubbing and ACV so I don't stink; I have the BS/ACV in the bathroom anyway for no-poo. Some other people may not have to do all the steps, but to ensure I don't stink on the hottest of days (and now that I'm taking progesterone before my surgery), I can't afford not to do the entire 3 step process. I can get away with not doing all three when it's not so hot and probably later when I'm not on progesterone.

I don't use extra fancy extra virgin oil either, just a good quality coconut oil made by Parachute. It comes in a blue squeeze bottle. It doesn't take long for me to scrub, rinse, spritz and rinse in the morning (an extra 1.5 to 2 minutes in the shower?), and then once I put the coconut oil on my armpits, I don't smell until 24ish hours later - usually in time for my next morning shower. Before, I didn't smell for over 24 hours before the progesterone - which now gives me hot flashes and I sweat and feel gross. Now that it's summer, I'm moisturizing my entire body with coconut oil so the extra big dollops/squirts on my armpits doesn't really cut into too much of my time.
#88 of 432 Old 06-27-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Interesting.... I thought that using the cocunut oil, especially the E.V.C. oil, would leave a faint smell of the coconut to linger through out the day. Just curious, when using the coconut oil alone as a deodorant, how many hours does it last before you start to smell any BO?
Well, I'm disappointed to report that I was stinky yesterday afternoon I showered in the morning, slathered on the CO and by 6pm I was stinky I ended up spritzing my pits with alcohol and it was fine the rest of the day.

But to answer your question - they first couple days, it worked all day - even all night. I was still stink free the next morning. I'm not sure why I was stinky yesterday afternoon. I didn't do anything different. I'm not giving up on the CO but I will keep my spritz bottle of alcohol with me just in case.
#89 of 432 Old 06-27-2007, 12:08 PM

Amcal - stinking with scrubbing and ACV too? Just wondering. Perhaps the baking soda and CO method somebody else mentioned would work. Make sure you're using enough baking soda to scrub your pits and make sure there isn't any coconut oil residue or your own body oil/dirt/bacteria. I try to scrub it very well before spraying ACV, and if I have time, I let it sit on my pits while I'm doing something else in the shower for a minute or so and then rinse. I get a big squirt of coconut oil and rub it in after I get out.

Just wondering since if it worked for a few days, and not working all the sudden now, just hoping I can help you troubleshoot
#90 of 432 Old 06-27-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
You're just using the straight coconut oil alone as a deodorant and not doing the BS, ACV routine too, right?
I am scrubbing with a bath buffy and using ACV, but I am not using the bs.

dm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page