Forum Jump: 

#121 of 432 Old 07-06-2007, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
Why not just use plain coconut oil?
I plan on trying EV Coconut oil as a deodorant next month However, because I can get very sweaty (and funky) in the summer, I honestly do not feel that coconut oil will do the trick for me during the summer's heat and humidity. And I'm just too lazy to buy a lot of ingredients and supplies and mix-up batches and put them in molds or jars etc...every month or so. I rather just purchase a deodorant with the ingredients already mixed wash, swipe, and go!

I'm currently looking for a second deodorant that is just as effective as the Funk Butter so that I can alternate the two every few months. I don't know about the rest of you, but I noticed over the years that my body appears to get used to whatever deodorant I am wearing at that particular time and it no longer seems to be as effective. So, in order to prevent my body from building up a resistance to my deodorant, I decided to now rotate them every few months-at the change of the season. In the spring & summer months when the mercury is rising, I need to wear a strong deodorant. In the fall & winter when I do not sweat as much, I will switch to another brand. Hopefully rotating them will solve this problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittanySmiles View Post
I've been doing no-deo for awhile, and I STINK! Like Indian food so my friends tell me
If I go 24 hours without applying deodorant, my underarms smell like a batch of funky fried onions. It's not cute!
#122 of 432 Old 07-06-2007, 03:49 PM

Grrlsix ~ In the past I have definately had the same problem as you where I would use a deo for a month or so and then one day it would just stop working and I would reek! (I wonder why this is btw?!) This went for both natural and regular deos. So far, this has not happened with the CO and I think it's been about a month now. I'll have to look back at the posts and see when I started. If it's going to stop working it's going to probably be soon but so far so good! I do have some FB on standby in case I need it. It's been really hot and humid here too! I am so impressed with it!

As for not wanting to mix up the ingredients and what not, I hear you! The good think abot the CO is that you don't need to mix anything up. You just need baking soda and apple cider vinegar in the shower to slather on and then when you get out have the coconut oil handy (I just keep some in the medicine cabinet of the bathroom). I guess you would have to mix the vinegar with water (about 50 - 50 is what I use). It's really easy! Hopefully it will work for you like it has for me! Good luck!
#123 of 432 Old 07-06-2007, 03:54 PM

I started the CO a few days ago and so far so good. I've never used CO before so I find it to be a really weird/interesting substance. For instance, when I first bought it and opened it, it was a solid cloudy substance that I could scoop out with a spoon, like shortening. The next day or two when I went to get it, it was a complete clear liquid. So I put some in a small container to use as deoderant and put it in the bathroom cupboard. When I went to use it yesterday, it was back to a cloudy solid again, but when I rub my fingers over it, it begins to liquify a little bit again.

IS this normal?????
#124 of 432 Old 07-06-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snitker79 View Post
I started the CO a few days ago and so far so good. I've never used CO before so I find it to be a really weird/interesting substance. For instance, when I first bought it and opened it, it was a solid cloudy substance that I could scoop out with a spoon, like shortening. The next day or two when I went to get it, it was a complete clear liquid. So I put some in a small container to use as deoderant and put it in the bathroom cupboard. When I went to use it yesterday, it was back to a cloudy solid again, but when I rub my fingers over it, it begins to liquify a little bit again.

IS this normal?????
Yes - totally normal. Coconut oil is cloudy and solid at 76 degrees so it may be cooler in your house in the morning so it's solid, as your bathroom or where you keep it, warms up, it will melt and become a clear liquid. It's fine to use either way. I know for me, mine is solid until I take my shower in the morning and that heats up my bathroom so it melts. Perfectly fine and perfectly normal.
#125 of 432 Old 07-06-2007, 05:00 PM

I hear you about ease of use. I'm lazy as heck and didn't mind (actually enjoyed) mixing up the baking soda, corn starch, and coconut oil (that's all!) into a tin and felt very special and resourceful. But the sticks are definitely easier. I am curious to hear about the other deodorant you mentioned to see if it works as well.

I've never had the problem with my body getting used to a deo- though I haven't been using funk butter or coconut oil for more than a couple of months. I'm hoping it's too magical to do that to me. I have a california crystal as back up and use it occasionally. It doesn't work as long as the funk butter or evco, but it worked waaaay better than any other natural deo for me.
#126 of 432 Old 07-06-2007, 06:21 PM

I'm lazy now because it's summer and the weather is warmer; therefore, I'm more active and like to be outside a lot. When the fall/winter comes around and I'm spending more time indoors, I'll be more in an experimental mood. It must be gratifying to mix up a custom blend deodorant on your own and find that it totally works for you. Kudos to you ladies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milky_mama View Post
Grrlsix ~ In the past I have definately had the same problem as you where I would use a deo for a month or so and then one day it would just stop working and I would reek! (I wonder why this is btw?!) This went for both natural and regular deos.
That's about the same amount of time they would work for me- a month or two. This happened with the mainstream deodorants that I used i.e. Secret, Degree, etc... The majority of the natural deodorants I tried would quit on me within a couple hours or so; so, after a week of test driving them, I would toss them. This also occasionally happens when I wear the crystal deodorants.

Maybe the bacteria on our skin build up a resistance to the deodorants? Similar to how certain diseases that were previously treatable with standard antibiotics, no longer respond to them because of the overuse/overprescribing of antibiotics. Who knows?!? But at least I know that I'm not the only one who has experienced this.
#127 of 432 Old 07-06-2007, 06:56 PM

Tropical Traditions has free shipping until Sunday, so I am ordering the deodorant to try!
#128 of 432 Old 07-06-2007, 08:51 PM

Arismomkoofie,

You know, I was just going to post a message that I was more than likely going to purchase the Tropical Traditions deodorant because the new deodorant that I have been test driving for the past three days is not holding up more than five hours.

I'm going to contact Tropical Traditions and see if I can get a sample of it and also find out what their return policy is.
#129 of 432 Old 07-06-2007, 10:50 PM

You might be able to get back some $ on the TP. People might love it or want to try it for less than the $9.99.
I am using BS and apricot oil (what I have handy. It is working, but the bs is making me uncomfortably itchy, so I will try this deo as well as coconut oil. I figure, I can get back some of my $ on the TP if I don't like it. If not, I'll bet it will work during the winter or something.

The free shipping saves me $6+ and I am buying the coconut oil as a 2 for 1 deal. I can use coconut oil for other things, so if it doesn't work I am out $7. I'm willing to try it - the funk butter really works for me, but there is too much bs and I get irritated
#130 of 432 Old 07-07-2007, 07:34 AM

I sent them an email yesterday and surprisingly, they got back to me the same day:
"Thank you for contacting Tropical Traditions. We appreciate your inquiry and we are happy to assist you!

Our sincere apologies, currently we do not offer samples but we will share your request with our Management Team for future possibilities. Our return policy is as follows;Tropical Traditions offers an unconditional guarantee on pint (16 oz.) trial sizes of Virgin Coconut Oil. You may return the unused portion for any reason within 30 days for a full refund.

For all other sizes and products, they must be returned unopened in their
original condition within 30 days for a refund. Shipping charges are
non-refundable."

I saw the 2 for 1 sale on their virgin coconut oil, but I wanted to try the same EVC oil that I had used previously which is also on sale at the Vitamin Shoppe. So, I'm just going to order the deodorant (classic scent) and tell them I can't meet the minimum.
#131 of 432 Old 07-07-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrlsix View Post

That's about the same amount of time they would work for me- a month or two. This happened with the mainstream deodorants that I used i.e. Secret, Degree, etc... The majority of the natural deodorants I tried would quit on me within a couple hours or so; so, after a week of test driving them, I would toss them. This also occasionally happens when I wear the crystal deodorants.

Maybe the bacteria on our skin build up a resistance to the deodorants? Similar to how certain diseases that were previously treatable with standard antibiotics, no longer respond to them because of the overuse/overprescribing of antibiotics. Who knows?!? But at least I know that I'm not the only one who has experienced this.
That sounds like that could definately be the case - our body building up a resistance to the bacteria. It would be interesting to look into this. This happens to you, my sister and myself so I know there's s at least three of us out there!
#132 of 432 Old 07-07-2007, 11:51 AM

I checked another forum that I post on and a few other women mentioned the same thing. They would constantly have to keep switching deodorants every month or so because they would suddenly stop working on them.

I'm sure the bacteria must build up a resistance to certain chemicals or ingredients. Just like roaches after awhile will build up resistance to certain pesticides after being exposed to them and their offspring will become immune to that pesticide (sorry for the comparison).
#133 of 432 Old 07-08-2007, 12:07 PM

Nonniecita,

When applying the Tropical Traditions deodorant, how many hours does it last before you start to smell any BO? Do you have to reapply during the day?
#134 of 432 Old 07-08-2007, 03:38 PM

Oh no! Yesterday was the first day that I smelled a hint of BO when using the BS/ACV/CO! I hope it's not turning on me like other deos! It's been about a month so it just may be! I was in a hurry yesterday though, so maybe I just didn't put enough on!
#135 of 432 Old 07-08-2007, 04:01 PM

That happened to me a couple days ago too. Bummer! I'm not giving up though, but am trying a mixture of coconut oil and cornstarch to see if that helps.

I also think I may have scrubbed a little too vigorously with the baking soda because I had irritation under one arm.
#136 of 432 Old 07-12-2007, 09:27 PM

I'm late coming in on this thread, but I want to chime in on the coconut oil. I have used only coconut oil for about two years now and have never smelled. Heck, I've even gone a day and a half- 2 days with no shower and still haven't smelled.
#137 of 432 Old 07-12-2007, 11:05 PM

What kind of coconut oil do you use: Extra Virgin Coconut oil or Regular Coconut Oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfamily6 View Post
I also think I may have scrubbed a little too vigorously with the baking soda because I had irritation under one arm.
This happened to me as well. I now decided to do the BS scrub every other day, instead of every day to give my pits a rest!
#138 of 432 Old 07-13-2007, 12:44 AM

My funk butter came!! Woo!!!

And it works! In Phoenix! In July!!

I'm wondering too, what kind of CO to use, I have food grade and use that, but what's the difference b/t that and the kind in the cosmetic aisle?
#139 of 432 Old 07-13-2007, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeJane View Post

I have the Black Cedar Fig Funk Butter too (oh lordy will that woman make a perfume spray out of it already! PLEEEEASE! : ) but if I use it for too many days straight, it leaves a strange peely BROWN rash under my arms.
OMG, me too! I've posted that a few times on MDC and no one else has concurred, I thought maybe it was just me... Yep, I also that scent and I would buy a body scent in a hot minute, and I don't personally like scented stuff very often.

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#140 of 432 Old 07-13-2007, 05:50 AM

My Tropical Traditions deodorant has come. I'll post about it in a few days after I try it!
#141 of 432 Old 07-13-2007, 10:05 AM

I also placed an order for the Tropical Traditions deodorant. They were gracious enough, as a one time courtesy, to waive the $16 minimum order. I received the free shipping offer as well.
#142 of 432 Old 07-13-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicdoula View Post
OMG, me too! I've posted that a few times on MDC and no one else has concurred, I thought maybe it was just me... .
I seem to recall that someone else posted about their skin peeling. Maybe it was in the other thread "trauma! my lovely Funk Butter has given me a rash!". What scent did you use?
#143 of 432 Old 07-13-2007, 10:59 AM

for those that use funk butter or other similar "oily" type natural deodorant...how do you keep from getting oil stains on your shirts (in the pit area)? i made my own version of funk butter based on the ingredients listed on the funk butter. i really like it, but a few of my shirts have grease stains in the pits...i don't use very much at all....anyone else have this or how do others prevent this?
#144 of 432 Old 07-13-2007, 02:13 PM

I haven't had any stains on clothing using the following percentages: (approximate, but pretty close )

Unrefined Shea Butter 33%
Coconut Oil 12%
Baking Soda 35%
Cornstarch 17%
Essential oil 3%

I sometimes add a little more or less coconut oil to adjust the spreadability depending on if it's summer or winter.
#145 of 432 Old 07-13-2007, 04:05 PM

I've been using the Funk Butter for over a month now and I have never had a problem with any oil or other stains on my clothing. The texture is cream to powder and it quickly absorbs into your skin.
#146 of 432 Old 07-13-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I seem to recall that someone else posted about their skin peeling. Maybe it was in the other thread "trauma! my lovely Funk Butter has given me a rash!". What scent did you use?
That was probably me, I did post to that thread too. I use the black fig. I love it, I'm almost willing to put up with brown armpits, I love it so much.

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#147 of 432 Old 07-26-2007, 09:10 AM

I just finished testing the Tropical Traditions deodorant for 7 days.

Ingredients (Lavender): Purified water, organic Virgin Coconut Oil, organic jojoba, emulsifying wax (plant based - non-soy), grapefruit seed extract, sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), and organic essential oils of rosemary, lavender, and lemon.

Comments: The label states to “apply to underarms to help mask body odor”. Unfortunately, this deodorant only masks my BO for a few hours and doesn't last thru an eight-hour work day. I applied the deodorant every morning around 8:00am and each day I had noticeable B.O. by 2pm (some days before). Most of the week I wore either a tank top or a sleeveless shirt; therefore, it was very easy for me to detect any unpleasant odors wafting from my underarms. My rule of thumb is that if I can smell my own B.O., chances are someone else can too! Also, the temperatures for the past week were unseasonably mild and dry for July (during the day it was in the low 70’s to the low 80’s, and at night it was very cool with the temperatures in the upper 50’s to the mid 60’s);Therefore, sweating wasn’t an issue for me at all. I also had my fiancé sniff my underarms approx. eight-hours after I applied the deodorant and by then my underarms were mighty ripe! He confirmed what I already knew. So on me, the Tropical Traditions would only provide five-hour deodorant protection-which just doesn’t cut it for me on a daily basis. One plus is that it did leave my underarms very soft.

So, my search for another deodorant that rivals Funk Butter continues. At the rate I’m going, I might have to actually make my own deodorant ( If that’s the case Hazelnut, I’m stealing your homemade Funk Butter recipe!!!) Next up, I’ll try the EV coconut oil for a week and post back my results.

To Arismomkoofie: How did you make out with the Tropical Traditions deodorant?
#148 of 432 Old 07-26-2007, 09:53 AM

nak

thanks for the update. i was thinking of getting this and now i probably won't. i don't want anything to "mask" odors!
#149 of 432 Old 07-26-2007, 10:59 AM

Yeah, I don't need a deodorant that just masks underarm odor either. I'm looking for a deodorant that either kills or inhibits the growth of odor causing bacteria. That's what works for a smelly gal like me!

The website's description for the Tropical Traditions deodorant did not include that statement-it's only on the label. It if had included the statement, I probably would not have purchased the deodorant.
#150 of 432 Old 07-26-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I don't need a deodorant that just masks underarm odor either. I'm looking for a deodorant that either kills or inhibits the growth of odor causing bacteria. That's what works for a smelly gal like me!

The website's description for the Tropical Traditions deodorant did not include that statement-it's only on the label. It if had included the statement, I probably would not have purchased the deodorant.
Yeah, well obviously they just want to get people to buy it, so they don't put it on the website.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page