natural deoderant that works... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 432 Old 04-23-2007, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been using the liquid rock by Kiss My Face.

Just in the last few months my body chemistry seems to change and the rock does not work! Half way through the day at work (and it was not a hot day!), I noticed my body order and it was not pleasant. I do not want to go back to the checmically deoderan, butI have to have something that works and last. I am a professional and cannot go around being stinky! Yikes.

Any ideas would be great.
#2 of 432 Old 04-23-2007, 12:06 PM

I think most any thread search you do here for "natural deodorant" will show a consensus opinion that Oyin's Funk Butter is the best.
#3 of 432 Old 04-23-2007, 12:07 PM

I also like the Weleda deoderant sprays--citrus is my fav.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#4 of 432 Old 04-23-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie9 View Post
I think most any thread search you do here for "natural deodorant" will show a consensus opinion that Oyin's Funk Butter is the best.

I got my funk butter last week, and I have been pretty happy with it so far. I live in Phoenix, and I can get pretty stinky. It hasn't been very hot yet, so I will see this week when the temps warm up. I am going hiking this afternoon, so this will be a good test too.

I like the Black cedar Fig the best. I bought both scents though. Does anybody know if it will dry up or go bad before I get to use them? Should I keep one in the fridge?
#5 of 432 Old 04-23-2007, 01:44 PM

I just clean my armpits in the a.m. and then swab them with vodka, it kills the bacteria and no bacteria means no odour. I keep vodka in a spray bottle and just spritz some more on if I need it. which I usually don't
#6 of 432 Old 04-23-2007, 03:52 PM

I use the KMF liquid rock as well and just reapply half way through the day.
#7 of 432 Old 04-23-2007, 04:08 PM

Another Funk Butter fan here. There is a fairly recent thread about funk butter scents and there is a homemade recipe in there, I am going to try that since I am getting very low on my fb!

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#8 of 432 Old 04-23-2007, 04:32 PM

Funk Butter works great. Unfortunately, I can't use it. It is either too drying or I am allergic to something in it.
#9 of 432 Old 04-23-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eden/averymum View Post
I just clean my armpits in the a.m. and then swab them with vodka, it kills the bacteria and no bacteria means no odour. I keep vodka in a spray bottle and just spritz some more on if I need it. which I usually don't
OOOO I may give this a try.

AM
#10 of 432 Old 04-23-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eden/averymum View Post
I do this too, except that I use alcohol. I think anything that kills the bacteria will help control the stink. I too am in Phoenix like the previous poster and have been doing the alcohol spritz for a couple years without any stink problems.

Eden- do you dilute your vodka? I tried straight vodka once and it burned the begeebes out of my pits. I've diluted it with 1/2 water and that seemed to help the sting a bit. I don't get that same sting with rubbing alcohol.
#11 of 432 Old 04-23-2007, 05:01 PM

I've been using the Kiss My Face liquid rock and I've been pleased with the results.

I'm not sure sweaty/stinky, but then, I live in the midst of rain and fog most of the time. 75 is super warm for us!

I'm going to TEXAS this summer though, so I bought some of the funk butter. I hope it does the trick! The "two week waiting period" is no joke btw. It's been EASILY two weeks since I bought mine!

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#12 of 432 Old 04-23-2007, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all!

I love the name "funk butter"! I will have to get some and try it.
#13 of 432 Old 04-24-2007, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post
I got my funk butter last week, and I have been pretty happy with it so far. I live in Phoenix, and I can get pretty stinky. It hasn't been very hot yet, so I will see this week when the temps warm up. I am going hiking this afternoon, so this will be a good test too.

I like the Black cedar Fig the best. I bought both scents though. Does anybody know if it will dry up or go bad before I get to use them? Should I keep one in the fridge?
I put the cedar fig in the fridge (my fav) and am using the mango coconut one now.
#14 of 432 Old 04-24-2007, 01:07 PM

I just ordered a couple of funk butters..since ordering more didn't affect the shipping amount and it seems like it takes a couple of weeks for orders to arrive, it didn't make sense to order just one. So..is it best to keep them in the fridge?
#15 of 432 Old 04-24-2007, 04:27 PM

I really like the Lafe's natural crystal stick - bout ONLY this brand! The other crystals did not work at all for me. I"m afraid of getting stinky so I use a TON (wet it and rub till it doesn't glide anymore, repeat, and maybe repeat again! I have no clue how much you're supposed to use!) I also think it's a good idea to rotate since in the past I've had stuff work then quit after a while, so may buy some FB given all the raves here.
#16 of 432 Old 04-24-2007, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am having issues with the natural deoderants too. I have tried the crystal, Toms, and lastly JASONS. I smell BAD about halfway thoughout the day with all.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#17 of 432 Old 04-24-2007, 10:47 PM

I've had good luck with the Trader Joe's deodorant. But I've only been using it lately -- we'll see if it holds up in 95 degree/95% humidity Cincinnati summers.
#18 of 432 Old 04-25-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogguruami View Post
Funk Butter works great. Unfortunately, I can't use it. It is either too drying or I am allergic to something in it.
I used it on freshly shaven pits once and got a terrible itchy burning rash. Is that what you get? I've found that as long as I use some moisturizer on my arm pits I can use the Funk Butter without any problems, even if I've just finished shaving. I use coconut oil. I think because the BS can be so abrasive it can easily irritate some individuals. Just a thought.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#19 of 432 Old 04-25-2007, 04:18 PM

I use BS and Burt's Bees Baby Apricot Baby Oil and it works great!
#20 of 432 Old 04-25-2007, 04:48 PM

I am not a stinky person, do not even live in a hot climate, but the TJ's cotton deodorant cannot get me through a day, let alone a workout. Even with a massive re-apply pre-cardio. I felt stinkier than the times I have forgotten to put on deodorant! Same goes for almost every natural brand. Alba's natural enzyme's actually gives me BO that I wouldn't normally have.

I don't have anything to contribute to help though, since I've tried every brand at my HFS with no luck and I'm using Dove when I work out and nothing when I don't.
#21 of 432 Old 04-25-2007, 05:42 PM

I love love love my funk butter!!!
#22 of 432 Old 04-26-2007, 02:11 AM

I wash with baking soda and then use cornstarch. I also like burt's bees deo. It seems to kill the bac, so if i get stinky, I just use a spray of that. It's got a strong smell, though. I like it. I used to get so sweaty durring the day with normal deo's, I'm much better now (my husband thinks it's so weird that i'm so fascinated by it all of the sudden... he can't smell, so he doesn't get it).
#23 of 432 Old 04-26-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post
I used it on freshly shaven pits once and got a terrible itchy burning rash. Is that what you get? I've found that as long as I use some moisturizer on my arm pits I can use the Funk Butter without any problems, even if I've just finished shaving. I use coconut oil. I think because the BS can be so abrasive it can easily irritate some individuals. Just a thought.
I might have to try that. I got a horrible rash from my funk butter after a while. Aloe gel helped, but not really well. The funk butter works great though!

Do you use the moisturizer right before applying the funk butter?
#24 of 432 Old 05-04-2007, 10:00 PM

Just got my funk butters in the mail today..will be test driving it tomorrow!
#25 of 432 Old 05-04-2007, 10:59 PM

I've had the funk butter for a few days now- maybe a weekish?

It's lovely. I got the mango-coconut and I really like it so far. Again, remember that I'm not super sweaty AND I live in a super mild climate. I'll update again in a couple of weeks- I'm going to the desert!!!

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#26 of 432 Old 05-04-2007, 11:00 PM

Oh- and it took a bit to get to me, so I emailed for an update- I was concerned that maybe it had been returned by the PO or something. She sent me a $5 off coupon and said sorry for the wait! I thought it was super nice as it wasn't her fault at all!!!

So add good customer service to the good smelling funk butter!

#27 of 432 Old 05-04-2007, 11:26 PM

BS started chafing me so I started the rubbing alcohol. It works pretty good and is cheap
#28 of 432 Old 05-05-2007, 11:35 AM

I used the funk butter for about 6 months and LOVED it. I just finally had to stop because of the red itchy rash I got under my arms. I had tried everything to make it go away and nothing got rid of it. I did mix aloe gel with it at the end wich made the rash less annoying. Any other suggestions? This is the ONLY thing that has worked well for me. Even regular antiperspriants fail me at times.

Oh, and I have tried rubbing alcohol. I worked, but dried out my skin so much that my skin felt dry and itchy. The funk butter rash actually felt better.
#29 of 432 Old 05-05-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie9 View Post

totally agree. amazing stuff. i love the fig smell too!

Legal Mama to TWO homebirthed, unschooled, unvaxed, cloth diapered, mei tei loving, still breastfeeding baby girl 1/14/07 and an intact 8 pound 10 ouncer baby boy 4/5/10.
#30 of 432 Old 05-06-2007, 09:12 PM

I think a lot of the irritation from the FB can be avoided if you mix up your own and only add as much bs as your body needs to stay fresh. I find the FB, while effective, is stuffed with as much bs as the mix can hold, it's pretty abrasive to my skin going on and I can see how that high a % of bs might be too much for some.

For my own, I make a blend that is a lot smoother, more coconut oil and less bs. Since some mamas find coconut oil to be an effective deodorant on its own, I chose to increase that ingredient rather than the shea butter. Also, I use unrefined shea for the shea butter component, not sure if that helps but the three together make a very simple and very effective deodorant.

I also notice that when using a deo butter, not being completely clean-shaven is a plus - for some reason, the deo works better when there's a little pit hair, lol. I think on shaven skin it seems to wear off faster. It's not a problem if you are willing to reapply once in the afternoon, which can be necessary with a lot of natural-style deodorants. But with a little hair growth, I can actually forget to put on the butter in the am and be fine all the way thru til lunch time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page