should I be afraid of my tap water? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-21-2002, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Several days ago, ds was eating black grapes and got the juice all over his shirt. I rinsed it out with cold water and put it on top of the washer, intendeding to pretreat and wash it right away. Well, I never got around to laundry that day, and today I found the shirt, still wet and wadded up on the washer--but the stain was gone!!! I'm assuming it was the chlorine in the water that did it. What do you think? We filter our drinking water, but should I be concerned about our bathing/washing water too?
#2 of 9 Old 03-05-2002, 09:28 PM

wow, Kezia ,I cant believe this, I was just reading abt this today. I never thought abt chlorine in tap water, but have been giving dd filtered drinking water (deer park or st similair), anyway I read today that taking a shower is the same as drinking 2 quarts of chlorinated water, in that the chlorine is absorbed into the lungs, and thru the skin. So their reccomendation was to filter your water in the shower. I told dh, and he said he would look at home depot for a shower filter. I cant believe I never thought abt this, I am kinda mad abt it, bc dd takes hour long baths.

Anybody have one of these filters, or know how much they cost approx?
#3 of 9 Old 03-06-2002, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I never thought about the shower! We used to have a filter on our shower, but it was kind of a hassle and had to be replaced pretty often. I got it because we had hard water in our old apartment that was making my hair flat--not because of chlorine :

We have talked about getting a whole-house filter system, but just can't find a way to budget for it yet--maybe we should make this a priority.
#4 of 9 Old 03-06-2002, 05:25 PM

I just read about the chlorine in showers and baths thing to and freaked out.I just got my shower filter from bestfilters.com,and my husband is installing it tonight.It cost about 50 bucks I think .We live in an apartment so the whole house deal is not an option for us either.
#5 of 9 Old 03-06-2002, 07:23 PM

we have a shower filter and a multi-pure water filter for the kitchen. Cholrine is probably one of the leaste things to worry about in water...that's why we got a multi-pure.

p.s. kezia, multi-pure makes whole house systems too.
#6 of 9 Old 03-14-2002, 03:31 PM

Hi. We just found out that our house that we are moving into later this month has nitrates in the water - very dangerous for children, unborn and otherwise. Anyone know of my options, especially in regards to a whole-house water filter?

That chlorine story with the shirt is amazing.
#7 of 9 Old 03-14-2002, 11:08 PM

Wow. This is some pretty scary stuff. I live in NY and the tap water is "supposedly" very good here. I still by bottled. I just don't trust it. But I never even thought about my shower water.
#8 of 9 Old 03-26-2002, 01:35 AM

I would highly recommend buying a shower filter! I found I was getting dizzy when I was taking showers & had no idea why. When I thought of trying a filter, the dizziness immediately went away! I found that very scary to realize what an effect it can have on you! We only have to replace our filter about every 6 months, I think the newer ones are much easier to change.
#9 of 9 Old 03-26-2002, 10:34 PM

Yeah! We close on our house on Thursday and due to the whole house filter the sellers put on our nitrate level went from a very dangerous 18.5 to a 1.0!!!!

I have always wondered about the shower heads. My understanding was that they were all low-flow which we hate. I have long, thick hair and need decent water pressure to get the shampoo & conditioner out fast. I don't have a lot of time for showers. My husband relies on the water pressure for a mini-massage if you will.

Does anyone know of a good filter that allows good water pressure?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page