Flax seed oil = linseed oil??? HELP needed for homemade furniture polish! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-07-2007, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I want to try making my own wood furniture cleaner. I have disgarded all my cans of Pledge, Endust, etc in favor of going green and healthy.

I have multiple recipes and they call for food-grade linseed oil, available at health food stores. They say that linseed oil dries rapidly, thus the popular choice for furniture needs.

So, I called our two local natural food & products stores and ask them about this. They weren't sure if the flax seed oil they sell is the same thing (I don't expect geniuses to work at these places, but some basic knowledge would be helpful!). One hal asked if I wanted capsules to break on my furniture. :

Another gal suggested I call the hardware or paint store for linseed oil. But, the book I am using says that type of linseed oil would be petroleum-processed and I would perfer not having any petroleum distillates. I mean, that's the point of making our own, natural stuff, right?

So, help! Tell me what I can use! Is the regular, for-consumption flax seed oil sold the same thing?

Thanks, in advance for ANY and ALL help/ideas!!!
#2 of 10 Old 05-08-2007, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know about flaxseed oil but I have used olive oil with success. I just rub it in with one cloth then buff it out with another. I bet linseed would work beautifully. Very good idea but I don't know where to get it either! Anyone else??:

JustJenny and DH of 20 years 

After a 2 year fertility struggle  - Baby girl is here! Jan 8th 2014 

2 Boxer Furbabies Buddha and Tootsie 
#3 of 10 Old 05-08-2007, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use olive oils as well. First I dust with microfiber cloth, then I mix in a few drops of lemon eo with olive oil. I rub a very small amt on the wood and then buff it out with either a flannel cloth or old prefold Works great!

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#4 of 10 Old 05-08-2007, 01:12 PM

My MIL just paid big bucks for a wood polish/protector consisting of nothing more than beeswax, olive oil and lemon eo.

But linseed does come from flax, there are different varieties though, some grown for consumption and some for industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flax
#5 of 10 Old 05-08-2007, 10:40 PM

Well in french, flax seeds are called graines de lin, so I would guess linseed oil is the right stuff, but I have to agree that other oils should work too.
#6 of 10 Old 05-09-2007, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Okay, I bought some regular flax seed oil and will give it a try.

The books say that flax seed/linseed oil dry fast, so that is why I use it. I have used the olive oil+vinegar+eo, and it worked fine, I just want to try a different recipe!

Thanks!
#7 of 10 Old 05-09-2007, 01:29 AM

Let us know how it goes Was it expensive?

JustJenny and DH of 20 years 

After a 2 year fertility struggle  - Baby girl is here! Jan 8th 2014 

2 Boxer Furbabies Buddha and Tootsie 
#8 of 10 Old 05-09-2007, 01:31 AM

As far as I know, linseed oil is boiled flax seed oil. I've looked into it a little bit in the past... Anyone?
#9 of 10 Old 05-09-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_goldman View Post
As far as I know, linseed oil is boiled flax seed oil. I've looked into it a little bit in the past... Anyone?
You are right. It is all made from flax seeds. What they sell at paint & hardware stores is Boiled Linseed Oil. It is all made from flax seeds. But boiled linseed oil also has some other things added to it during the boiling process. Nothing too scary I think. It is boiled to make it dry faster. For floor finishing you want only boiled linseed oil, but I would think that flax seed oil would work great for a cleaner/polish.
#10 of 10 Old 05-10-2007, 01:44 PM

I've got a question- wouldn't using the oil like that leave marks or invite bugs? I guess I'm not seeing how something we cook with like olive oil or something won't encourage bugs....

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page