Is OxiClean a natural product? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-08-2007, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are products like OxiClean considered natural? I've been wondering about this. What about Borax? I use both in my laundry because my laundry soap isn't quite doing the job since we switched to Eco-Products natural laundry soap. I actually like it very much except that I'm not getting the best stain removal with it. As far as getting the everyday dirt out it's great. I also use just baking soda as a booster sometimes.
#2 of 5 Old 05-09-2007, 11:50 AM

Oxygen bleach is made of sodium percarbonate & sodium carbonate. They are both naturally occuring compounds. So yes, they are natural, but they are not non-toxic. Some brands also add surfactants & anti-redepositing agents that make them less natural. This time I bought Clorox brand ( I can't believe I bought anything they make!) because it only lists sodium carbonate & percarbonate as ingredients. It was also a little cheaper than Oxyclean brand. Sun brand is at the dollar store, but it lists surfactants. BTW, Sodium carbonate is washing soda. Oxygen Bleach doesn't contain any phosphates, so it is much better for the environment than chlorine bleach.
#3 of 5 Old 05-09-2007, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the info! I appreciate it. I guess I'll just whatever I use sparingly! Sometimes the detergent just doesn't do the trick!
#4 of 5 Old 05-09-2007, 07:45 PM

Thank you for asking this question. I've seen others mention using it and wondered what it actually was I think my dh's work clothes could use some of this.

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
#5 of 5 Old 05-09-2007, 08:08 PM

I forgot to mention Borax. Borax is also a natural compound that is mined from the earth. It also can be toxic, but is natural. In some forms boric acid can be used to kill bugs like roaches & termites.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page