Arm & Hammer Essentials laundry detergent - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 05-17-2007, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I stopped at my non-green, non-organic local supermarket last night and saw the strangest things .

In the household cleaners section were Greening the Cleaning glass cleaner, Greening the Cleaning all-purpose cleaner and Method products (Method's not a big leap - but, it's a step). In the body soap sections were pure glycerin soaps and bottles of castile. In the detergents aisle I found A&H washing soda and borax ... and, then I froze!

Before me was a product labeled "Arm & Hammer Essentials Detergent" ... biodegradable, no petroleum products. The new manager was checking prices next to me and saw me staring. She smiled, flipped the bottle around and prompted, "Look at the ingredients."

:
A&H baking soda
naturally derived cleaning agents
natural water softener
water
fragrance

I opened the cap, took a sniff - not bad, light and clean.

O.K., a new manager explains the inclusion of crunch brand household cleaners, soaps and laundry additives. But, what about the mainsteam brand of laundry detergent? :

I used the toll-free number listed this morning and, sure the manufacturer would be "busted", asked for a full ingredients list.

:
A&H baking soda
coconut and/or palm oil derived surfactants
natural water softener
water based perfume
water
nothing else ...

It was put in limited market areas at the end of 2006, and its distribution was recently expanded.

Unless the "perfume" is something vile and toxic, this may be a "green" product. Those adverse to scent may not be served by this detergent. But, heck, you've got to admit that its good news when a mainstream consumer products company puts out an evironmentally friendly, well-priced product.

Because I'm still looking for the "catch", I'm going to do some laundry tonight and see how well this stuff works. My husband did some home repairs last night (another reason to wonder if there has been a recent shift in the universe) and rewarded me with greasy, dirty clothes. And, for good measure, I'll do a load of whites in cold water.

If the stuff does a good job of cleaning, I'm going to give my non crunchy friends and family a gift of laundry detergent. Does everyone else know about this already, or is this news?
#2 of 47 Old 05-17-2007, 04:06 PM

I saw some at Target the other day and was pretty impressed, but I can tell by the smell that it won't work for us. For one thing, I'm used to EO's and the fragrance in the Arm & Hammer is SO overpowering it almost made me light headed. I can also tell by smelling it that it would wreak havoc on my daughter's eczema. If they used EO's to scent it would be perfect!
#3 of 47 Old 05-17-2007, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nora--not a llama View Post
the fragrance in the Arm & Hammer is SO overpowering it almost made me light headed ... I can also tell by smelling it that it would wreak havoc on my daughter's eczema. If they used EO's to scent it would be perfect!
I feel overwhelmed by the EOs of most scented crunchy brands and grab unscented products whenever there is a choice. Each nose has its own level, I suppose.

After a second load of laundry, I came back and edited this post.

The first load I ran came out nice - no lingering scent. But, I had run it with an extra rinse cycle that included some vinegar - a long held habit from the days when I washed with laundry soap (instead of detergent). The scent probably washed out because it is water based, not an oil (i.e. essential oil).

I ran the second load without a second rinse and without any vinegar in the rinse. There was fragrance residue after the rinse. Not a a bad scent - not like the smack-in-the-face of Method products. It almost disappeared after a run through the dryer. But, when I planted my nose into the clothes, it was definitely there. DH thought it was faint and pleasant. DSD agreed. But, I'm a real pain in the a** about lingering fragrance on laundry. People who don't share my peeve should not be discouraged from trying this product. It did clean well.

I sent A&H an e-mail suggesting they offer an unscented version. Fragrance is a very expensive additive, so it is silly for the manufacturer to be adding it to a product aimed at a crunchy audience IMO.
#4 of 47 Old 05-31-2007, 12:21 AM

I've been using it for 2 weeks and I am IN LOVE. It's $3.37 vs. the $16 I used to pay for my plant-based stuff. The scent, I love it. My clothes are SO much cleaner than when we tried All Free & Clear, which made my dd's eczema blow UP. The A&H... no eczema issues.

If they offer a fragrance-free version, It will be a REAL winner. Right now though? I'm LOVIN IT.
#5 of 47 Old 05-31-2007, 04:25 AM

Could you post a cost per load figure for me? I'm a frugal mama and was about to order a bucket of Charlies Soap which I believe is around $.09 a load. Thanks!

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
#6 of 47 Old 05-31-2007, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

I don't recall what I paid for the bottle I bought (still using it), but if the pp is right, that it's $3.37, then that works out to a little less than $0.11 per load because it is 32 loads per bottle.

Keep in mind, though, that whenever you see the number of loads per box-bottle-whatever printed on the item, it is referring to medium size loads. So, that's to the half-fill line on the cap.

We have an very large capacity machine and I only do full loads. But, rather than add more detergent, we stick with the 1/2 capful and add washing soda (which is pretty cheap) and find all comes out clean.
#7 of 47 Old 05-31-2007, 01:14 PM

It's on-sale this week at Target for $3 There was a coupon for $1 off at some point in the Sunday Paper (maybe 3 weeks ago??)

We've been using it, it works well
#8 of 47 Old 06-02-2007, 06:25 PM

I need to try this!! I tried Seventh Generation and really did not like it as many times as I tried. This might do the trick for us -- and at a much better price!! Thanks for posting about it!

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#9 of 47 Old 06-08-2007, 07:57 PM

I use it, I love it, I recommend it.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#10 of 47 Old 06-08-2007, 08:21 PM

sweet. I've bought it several times, and don't really like the smell, but I can ignore that, lol. At least I can try. At any rate, I like the price and am impressed. I bought two of them the other day.
#11 of 47 Old 06-08-2007, 09:10 PM

I discovered it a couple of months back and felt sure I was getting away with something. When I saw it, I literally thought about stock piling (at the time it was 2.97 and I had a couple of .50 off coupons!) just assuming it was only for a limited time or some kind of a mean joke being played on us poor green people by the establishment. (Sorry - I have a conspiracy problem!)
#12 of 47 Old 06-08-2007, 09:19 PM

I really like it.....and I LOVE the smell. I keep thinking it will disappear from the shelves so I'm trying to stock up little by little.
#13 of 47 Old 06-09-2007, 05:07 PM

I bought it twice and now it is no longer at my grocery store. I'm going to go look for it.
#14 of 47 Old 06-24-2007, 05:55 PM

I LOVE this stuff! I picked some up because we're trying to live more "green" and we're just doing it little by little...and oh man. The smell is awesome. We were using All something or another and the smell was ok (I'm picky about my scents...I like them, but they have to be smelly good), but nothing like this. I wonder if they sell it at Sams in bigger jugs? I only found a tiny bottle, but I'd like to stock up if the price is right.

Mom to Liv (9/07) ribboncesarean.gif and Nora (2/11) vbac.gif

#15 of 47 Old 06-24-2007, 05:59 PM

Very Cool! That's good to know in case I run out of my homemade stuff and don't have time to make more. Too bad they don't make an unscented version.
#16 of 47 Old 06-25-2007, 05:12 AM

Wow, I'll be looking for this, I've got some Bio-Kleen right now and love the grapefruit smell but I could switch to save all that money.
#17 of 47 Old 06-26-2007, 10:06 AM

I'm all over this stuff now! Thanks!
#18 of 47 Old 07-17-2007, 01:09 PM

For us fabric softener freaks, they just came out with dryer sheets too I saw them at Target yesterday. The box does smell insanley strong, but then again, it is a box of 144. I didn't buy them, so I don't know how it would be if I cut one in half and used it.

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#19 of 47 Old 07-17-2007, 03:37 PM

Is it ok for cloth diapers tho? I get so confused about all that...

E ~ Mostly-SAHM to 3 amazing boys (and another little guy still percolating, due 5/10)! :
#20 of 47 Old 07-17-2007, 03:50 PM

it's awesome, and the free & clear version is the stuff my dreams are made of...
#21 of 47 Old 07-21-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post
For us fabric softener freaks, they just came out with dryer sheets too I saw them at Target yesterday. The box does smell insanley strong, but then again, it is a box of 144. I didn't buy them, so I don't know how it would be if I cut one in half and used it.
Love them! They work great. Even ripped in half (which is what I do for a small load) and they leave your clothes soft and static free. Since they aren't petroleum-based, they don't leave any oily spots on clothes. The only drawback for me is the scent, but it's not enough of a drawback to make me want to switch.
#22 of 47 Old 07-21-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitnbugsmom View Post
it's awesome, and the free & clear version is the stuff my dreams are made of...
Where did you find the free and clear version? The only thing I find is the scented version which is too strong for us!:
#23 of 47 Old 07-23-2007, 02:38 PM

at Kroger. : I know, not the most eco friendly store on the planet But it's five minutes from home and I can walk, as opposed to 2.5 hours in the car to each way to the closest natural store
#24 of 47 Old 07-24-2007, 02:22 PM

Oooh, I would love a free and clear version! I can't hack the scented stuff.
#25 of 47 Old 12-23-2007, 02:30 AM

Quote:
The only drawback for me is the scent, but it's not enough of a drawback to make me want to switch.
I bought the detergent and the dryer sheets (I'm a fabric softener freak, too, and a scent freak!). Even if using the full recommended amount and a full uncut dryer sheet, our laundry does not have any scent to it when I pull it from the dryer. I'm not sure what the deal is, but if I smell anything at all on the laundry, it's VERY faint. I'm actually a little disappointed that the laundry doesn't have more of a scent, as the pretty smelling stuff motivates me to do laundry in the first place! However, I love the scent these products have.

Quote:
Is it ok for cloth diapers tho? I get so confused about all that...
It gets 4 yellow stars on the pinstripesandpolkadots.com detergent list, meaning that it's considered a good choice for cloth diapers. I was referred to this list from both the diaperswappers and TBW forums.

Quote:
I wonder if they sell it at Sams in bigger jugs? I only found a tiny bottle, but I'd like to stock up if the price is right.
I wondered this myself, as I hated buying such a tiny bottle for our family plus cloth diapers. Then I found out a close family friend buys a large container of it at Sam's. My DH and I have decided to get a Sam's card so we can purchase this and other items there.

Shannon ~ SAHM/W to Noah (12), Reagan (2) and DH Joe (12 years)
2010 in 2010 Decluttering Challenge, Item Count 91/2010
#26 of 47 Old 12-30-2007, 04:08 PM

If you call them they admit to having optical brighteners which are very environmentally nasty and some cause bacterial mutations etc. They also bond irreversibly to the skin. I wish so much that they would just take them out of the recipe. It is silly that they don't list them on the ingredients-they said it was proprietary info that they don't want to share. Please call them and ask them to take it out of the recipe.
#27 of 47 Old 12-30-2007, 10:56 PM

Thanks for posting about the optical brighteners. I was just scrolling down to ask if anyone knew about that.
#28 of 47 Old 02-14-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitra9898 View Post
If you call them they admit to having optical brighteners which are very environmentally nasty and some cause bacterial mutations etc. They also bond irreversibly to the skin. I wish so much that they would just take them out of the recipe. It is silly that they don't list them on the ingredients-they said it was proprietary info that they don't want to share. Please call them and ask them to take it out of the recipe.
Sorry to bump this thread, but has anyone been able to confirm what this person is saying?

I looked at the bottle in the store, and it didn't list optical brighteners in the ingredients (though Arm & Hammer does list them in there normal Free & Clear detergent).
#29 of 47 Old 02-14-2008, 07:57 PM

I am interested in knowing if it does truly have optical brighteners. I really hope not!!

Tara ~ SAHM to (1/05) and (10/09)
#30 of 47 Old 02-15-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitra9898 View Post
If you call them they admit to having optical brighteners . They also bond irreversibly to the skin.
OK, I want more info on this. We have used this detergent also, when we were working on our house 7 days a week & I didn't have time to make homemade. I liked it & my clothing ends up with no scent. That may be our water? I don't know much about optical brighteners, I never worried about it since I didn't think we were using any. Does this mean that if you get detergent on your hand while loading the washer that this stuff doesn't wash off? That is scary sounding. I think I will do some research on this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page