Most gentle hand soap? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-19-2007, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My hands are awful from constant handwashing. What's the most gentle, non-drying hand soap? I'm currently using Dove's sensitive-skin body wash (soap-free), and it feels drying lately. I added a bit of jojoba oil, but it dries them out even more!

~Katie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 05-19-2007, 11:21 AM

A bar soap that is gentle is Sappho soap. I like the oatmeal soaps, and the almond soap.

We need to replace what we put in our pump soap dispensers. Right now we are still using Dial antibacterial soap. :

Hoping someone will make suggestions for pump soap that is gentle and eco-friendly.

:

P.S. At night you could rub a little olive oil or unpetroleum jelly on your hands and if they are really bad, put cotten gloves on overnight.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#3 of 9 Old 05-19-2007, 11:39 AM

I love Dr. Bronners (Unscented/Baby) liquid soap. My hands were so cracked and rough, but this really helped. I diluted it 50/50 with water. Since we got our water softener, I still use it but only use a drop or two of the undiluted soap.

Keep some of that Jojoba or other oil/hand cream by the sink and put some on after drying hands to seal in the moisture.
#4 of 9 Old 05-19-2007, 03:32 PM

I like avalon organics hand soap. It is made with glycerin which is a great moisturizer. Also a good hand creme is the burts bees shea butter hand repair creme! My hands were cracked and dry and this cured it.
#5 of 9 Old 05-19-2007, 04:21 PM

I LOVE dr. bronners, diluted. (Or really any castille soap, I used to get it at trader joes). You have to use distilled water with it, and I had to get the foaming bottles online. But both are cheap and it's so worth it to me. I dilute it more like 1:4 (soap to water) and my hands aren't rough despite washing a million times a day.
#6 of 9 Old 05-21-2007, 03:19 PM

I use Dr. Bronner's diluted in a foamer. But I also keep a bar of Zote on hand. it is a Mexican laundry soap, but it is really gentle on hands. I cut it in smaller bars because I get a HUGE bar for .69. It works better for really filthy dirty hands.
#7 of 9 Old 05-21-2007, 03:45 PM

I just got that stuff for stains- it works great. I didn't know it was mild enough for hands though!
#8 of 9 Old 05-21-2007, 04:54 PM

Dr. Bronners and other liquid castile soaps are too drying for my family's skin. We prefer Dr. Bronner's bar soaps.

We keep a bottle of good moisurizer by each sink, for use after washing. My personal habit is to wipe any excess off my palms - it's the back of my hands that dries out.

Burt's Bees makes good products, but cheaper alternatives work just as well. Suave Oatmeal, Suave Advanced Care and Suave Sensitive Skin are gentle and effective. None are heavy. Suave Oatmeal is the simplest forumation and is without fragrance or dyes.

You mentioned using Dove. If you like Dove products, try the liquid hand soap for dry skin (not the body soap). The hand soap comes in a white pump bottle and is much richer than the body wash.

FYI - Dove, Suave, and Vaseline Intensive Care brands are made by the same company. From a position of knowledge, I tell you that the difference among brands is less about formulation and more about packaging, marketing and fragrance (in scented items). You won't be compromising on effectiveness by buying Suave moisurizers. Unfortunately, Suave doesn't have an equivalent for the the Dove liquid hand soap.
#9 of 9 Old 05-21-2007, 06:51 PM

I love Kiss My Face hand soaps. Dr Bronners is way too drying for me. A tip I learned from here is to keep a bottle of lotion right next to your hand washing station so you can slather up immediately after washing.

I also use slivers of Chagrin Valley soaps and shampoos that I use in the shower, once they get too small to really use there I put them to use as hand soaps, they rock!

User Tag List