Simple Green - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-21-2007, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wondering whether you all consider this a safe product. I've used this for awhile and I like it. Last time I went to buy it I could only find Simple Green Extreme Clean and that has me a little nervous. What do you think?
#2 of 13 Old 05-21-2007, 11:45 AM

I have not seen a lot of posts here about Simple Green. I have been using it for over 15 years, and I like it. It is the greenest cleaner that my DH will use. (Complains bitterly about vinegar, and I know he would never agree to using it himself. If I want him to participate in the cleaning, I have to compromise.) I still use vinegar & TTO myself. I sometimes reach for the Simple Green if he's around, so he doesn't have to smell (and complain about) the vinegar.

I don't know about the "Extreme" clean - you make your own ratio of cleaner to water, so I'd just use less cleaner if that's all that were available.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#3 of 13 Old 05-21-2007, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

bump
#4 of 13 Old 05-21-2007, 11:31 PM

I don't use it because I can't stand the scent of it. But it says it's biodegradable and non-toxic. I'm pretty sure it uses petroleum based surfactants though if that matters to you.
#5 of 13 Old 05-21-2007, 11:59 PM

Well they talk about it a lot in the diapering forum as a laundry detergent. I wonder as well. I picked some up and find it works better than vinegar for some things, but the smell is just UGH. It says nontoxic, but I'm pregnant and feel like anything that smells is off-limits. I don't really know though.
#6 of 13 Old 05-22-2007, 12:50 AM

It gives me coughing fits when I use it :
#7 of 13 Old 05-22-2007, 10:22 AM

I agree, it smells awful to me. I bought some once and DH ended up taking it out in the garage to use on his car tires or something because the smell was so bad in the house.

I think I'll stick with vinegar or Sal Suds or Dr. B's. ASusan, your DH might like Sal Suds. It's a concentrated detergent and has pine oil in it for a piney scent.
#8 of 13 Old 05-22-2007, 02:40 PM

I love the smell and I think it works pretty good. Like pp's say they talk about it extensively in the diapering forum and you can go to their website and they talk about it too.

http://consumer.simplegreen.com/index.php
#9 of 13 Old 05-22-2007, 05:55 PM

Many people have issues with the smell since it's really overpowering. I've read a few places you're supposed to dilute it, it's basically a concentrate in the bottle (weird I know that they put the sprayer on it and everything!).

I just looked at my bottle it says use 1:1 or 1:10 dilution and 1:30 dilution for light cleaning. I just looked at their online site and this page has some specific dilutions for certain surfaces and areas of the home. There are a ton they recommend a 1:32 rate. I'm sure that would make a big difference in the smell.

Thanks for asking the question, I learned something new...been on my list to look into but I kept forgetting until I saw your post
#10 of 13 Old 05-22-2007, 09:02 PM

It is meant to be diluted. I use it as a degreaser every once in a while on my cooktop when my vinegar solution just isn't enough. I don't really care for the smell either.
#11 of 13 Old 05-23-2007, 06:18 PM

My dh buys this stuff all the time and I had no idea that it might actually lean toward "green!" I wonder if I dare tell him?! He'll probably start saying that it doesn't work!! He uses it full strength for things in his shop.

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
#12 of 13 Old 05-23-2007, 08:03 PM

Yes - you should be diluting it. No wonder the smell gets to so many people. Diluted, I think it smells clove-y.

The greasier the job, the stronger you can use it, but for everyday use, dilute it well. I've had a gallon of cleaner for well over 5 years. I think the gallon cost me $7.99 at Lowes. (The gallon is so old, there is a price sticker on it. Now-a-days, they don't bother putting price stickers on things because the prices are marked on the shelves.)

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#13 of 13 Old 05-23-2007, 11:20 PM

Wow, where have I been??? It never even occurred to me to dilute it. The smell doesn't bother me....I kind of like it. I'll try diluting it though....I'm all for making things last!!!

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page