No Poo isn't working for me. Too dry. Tell me more about conditioner only. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-07-2007, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What product works best for this? I see there's one out there made specifically for it - WEN. But it's pretty spendy. Are there less expensive but equally effective products out there for this?
#2 of 5 Old 06-07-2007, 06:06 PM

I do Conditioner Only.

I've never heard of a specific product for this. I had to experiment with at least a dozen conditioners before settling on the two that I now alternate between. My hair likes Burts Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit and Sugar Beet and Tea Tree Triple Treat by Giovanni. When you're first trying out, avoid conditioners with silicones...generally any ingredient ending in 'cone'. They tend to build up on some people. A good place to start is the Suave Naturals line, even though they aren't the most natural, they seem to work well for a lot of people. I've also seen V05's Kiwi Lime mentioned a lot as a good one, but I haven't tried it personally.

Here's how I do it...when I first get in the shower I soak my hair with water and squeeze out most of it. I slather on a generous coating of whatever condish I'm using that day and leave it on for the remainder of my shower, which for me is usually 10-15 minutes. I rinse it off as the last thing I do before getting out. I think the rule is that it has to stay on your hair for at least 10 minutes minimum for it to work.

I do this daily, but you may not need to that often. I've found that I don't really ever need actual shampoo anymore, but sometimes I'll use it if I only have time for a super-quick shower.
#3 of 5 Old 06-08-2007, 02:15 AM

I used Suave naturals and VO5 too. It takes lots of conditioner for my length hair so the spendy brands were just not an option. I also left the conditioner on for the rest of my shower and I am pretty sure that the conditioner never stayed on my hair for a full 10 minutes, but it probably varies by person.

Now I'm water only except when I have to put sunscreen on my head. If my ends get a little dry I put some coconut oil on my hands and rub them on my hair.
#4 of 5 Old 06-08-2007, 10:33 PM

I haven't heard of the leave-in method - I may try it, but some other people have had success with using Conditioner only, Condition-wash-condition, and other variations. Also, when they use the conditioner, they use the conditioner as a cleaning agent and do a scalp scrub with the cheap/silicone free conditioner. You get small suds if you do a nice finger-pad vigorous scalp scrub with the conditioner.

What I do is mix baking soda and conditioner together. I add brown sugar on occasion.

Perhaps you're using too much baking soda or you need to dilute it more. Some people do baking soda and honey (and/or conditioner).

You'll find all kinds of experimentations, products, recipes, and whatnot on the first page of the Curly Girl thread in "find your tribe". Check that link out.
#5 of 5 Old 06-09-2007, 01:33 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page