How often do you shower? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 06-07-2007, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this is an odd question. A friend of mine told me she showers at night....and I WANT to just shower at night so when I get up in the morning, I can just get dressed and be ready to roll but I feel so gross when I get up in the morning.....
Im so self consious about being stinky...Ok, prepare for TMI and total vulnerability here BUT....Im somewhat overweight and have always been pretty hairy I think if I had to wax vay down there, I would probably die from the pain as it.........well you get the picture....

I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem? Can I get away with a shower just at night? Any suggestions?

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#2 of 38 Old 06-07-2007, 05:14 PM

Well, I'm not one to ask (or be so bold as to volunteer an answer here). I don't think I stink very often. I shower about every other day in the morning. Some evenings, I'll take a bath. Then I really won't bother to shower in the am. Showering in the evening usually wakes me up too much. I do my hair about 1-2 times a week.

This may change as summer takes hold.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#3 of 38 Old 06-07-2007, 05:21 PM

Every day, but not necessarily for cleanliness' sake. I just feel like I need an invigorating scalp scrub under running water, along with that 5-10 minutes of being alone in the bathroom, in order to wake up nicely in the morning.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#4 of 38 Old 06-07-2007, 05:23 PM

I shower every other day in the morning. I'm a morning shower person because I have to blow dry my hair or else it gets crazy and I'm always too tired/lazy to do that at night.

I'm not overly sensitive about normal body smell--I don't mean stink, just natural scent. So if I just need to freshen up, a wash cloth is enough for me. If I get really hot and sweaty or dirty, I'll shower off as needed.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#5 of 38 Old 06-07-2007, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm a night shower person too. I like to be fresh and clean for DH if you know what I mean. LOL I only wash my hair every other day though cause it's a frizzball if I wash it everyday.

Desiree

#6 of 38 Old 06-07-2007, 11:11 PM

Every morning, and sometimes twice a day. If it's a hot sweaty day I take one at night, but I still need one in the morning too because I feel sweaty and greasy.
#7 of 38 Old 06-07-2007, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I haven't showered in over 2 years.....

I take HOT baths every morning and sometimes at night.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#8 of 38 Old 06-08-2007, 12:03 AM

Using a beard and mustasche trimmer will help keep underarms and pubes short and untangly and hopefully less smelly. Just use a medium setting.
Using a good soap and soaping up everything, followed by something that reduces moisture will help. Runners sometimes use antipersperant on their thighs to prevent rub. If you use antipersperant, you could try that. The more natural solution is to use a scented, talc-free powder to absorb moisture before bacteria gets to it.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#9 of 38 Old 06-08-2007, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkenny View Post
Every morning, and sometimes twice a day. If it's a hot sweaty day I take one at night, but I still need one in the morning too because I feel sweaty and greasy.
Me too...daily and sometimes twice a day.

I think showers are one of the greatest luxuries ever!
#10 of 38 Old 06-08-2007, 12:18 AM

I shower every other day and I shower at night before bed... ya know.. just in case.

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#11 of 38 Old 06-08-2007, 12:25 AM

Right now I am pregnant and extra oily, so I need to shower once a day. I also shower at night, so I change my sheets less. When I'm not pregnant, it is every other day. The same with winter time.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#12 of 38 Old 06-08-2007, 12:53 AM

Pre baby and husband working 13+ hour days, every 2-3 days
Now, about once a week and I'm lucky to get it. I wash individual bits throughout the day when I get a chance.
#13 of 38 Old 06-08-2007, 01:02 AM

I shower every night. Being a SAHM and having two kiddos age two and under by the end of the day a shower feel like a vacation! Lol.
#14 of 38 Old 06-08-2007, 03:35 AM

I usually shower at night. I wash my hair every morning by hanging over the tub (it's very short so I get major bedhead). If I'm working a night shift then I shower the morning of that shift. If I work out on my lunch at work (on a night shift), I shower after that and then am good for the next day unless I feel dirty or smelly.

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#15 of 38 Old 06-08-2007, 04:05 AM

I shower every other day, I wash my hair every other day or every other shower.......depending on how It looks.

Perhaps using a different soap? or deoderant? sorry, i am not much help.

Oh yeah, if I am having my period, I do shower daily
#16 of 38 Old 06-08-2007, 04:20 AM

I shower every other night, though it's every night when AF is here.

I also apply deodorant after showering, and then in the AM once again. I also apply it under my breasts (in the fold) as it does help!
#17 of 38 Old 06-08-2007, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricot View Post
Runners sometimes use antipersperant on their thighs to prevent rub. If you use antipersperant, you could try that. The more natural solution is to us
Body Glide is awesome to prevent chafing.

Too, I've used shortie slips under dresses and they're awesome .
#18 of 38 Old 06-08-2007, 11:35 AM

Twice a day, morning and evening. I can't wake up in the morning without a shower, and I can't stand the idea of going to bed dirty. I keep it short, lukewarm, and I do try to minimise soap use - just use it on the potentially stinky bits.
#19 of 38 Old 06-08-2007, 11:48 AM

I shower every morning. I wish I could get away with less but my scalp is super oils and I get stinky.

I have found that using a moustache trimmer on the shortest setting for the pubic area keeps things so much cleaner, cooler and less stinky.
#20 of 38 Old 06-08-2007, 12:19 PM

nak

every night. We hae allergies, so we always rinse off the pollen and dust before bed.

I occasionally take a bath with baby, too.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#21 of 38 Old 06-08-2007, 12:20 PM

I shower every 3-4 days. I don't tend to be stinky, and even though I don't shave, I'm not excessively hairy (most people can't tell by looking at my legs that I don't shave). I keep my hair short partly so that I don't have to wash it frequently.

My dd, 12, needs to shower every day because she gets very smelly very quickly.

dm
#22 of 38 Old 06-08-2007, 01:45 PM

i shower at night (to be clean for fun with dh! )

i wonder if the cystal deo thingy coudl be used anywhere, i know you can put it on your feet, it is all natural - so why not
#23 of 38 Old 06-08-2007, 06:06 PM

i take a bath most days smelly or not because they feel good. if i am stinky and i don't feel like taking a bath or shower i just do a quick sponge bath except i use a washcloth
i sometimes go several days without bathing without getting smelly it seems to depend a lot on weather and how physically active i have been.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#24 of 38 Old 06-08-2007, 07:26 PM

I shower twice a day but wash my hair only in the mornings. I live in South Texas and I sweat a lot. And TMI but I am overweight and hairy as well. The hair really does add to the smell, it gives it something to cling to. I wax 'down there' and it really helps. When I use the restroom I tend to use a cloth wipe with foaming wipe solution to freshen up. It helps me feel better about myself to stay fresh, especially as we're ttc and I like to be 'ready to go' when dh is in the mood...
#25 of 38 Old 06-08-2007, 07:31 PM

I shower every morning, after exercising. I can't imagine showering every-other-day and still getting some exercise, I can't even stand myself after a good workout!

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#26 of 38 Old 06-10-2007, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the honesty, mamas! I guess I'm just one of those mamas who "needs" a shower once a day. By the time I get in the shower in the AM, I'm ususally sweaty just from the morning routine with the kids so I guess I have to keep it up.....Maybe in my next life I wont be so hairy...

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#27 of 38 Old 06-11-2007, 12:52 AM
Banned

NAK

Twice a day. 1 in the morning and one at night.
#28 of 38 Old 06-16-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykdsmomy View Post
I know this is an odd question. A friend of mine told me she showers at night....and I WANT to just shower at night so when I get up in the morning, I can just get dressed and be ready to roll but I feel so gross when I get up in the morning.....
Im so self consious about being stinky...Ok, prepare for TMI and total vulnerability here BUT....Im somewhat overweight and have always been pretty hairy I think if I had to wax vay down there, I would probably die from the pain as it.........well you get the picture....

I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem? Can I get away with a shower just at night? Any suggestions?
I usually take baths every morning/evening sometimes both if Im feeling particularlly smelly & or sweating
I usually wash my hair usually in the shower cause it rinses way better than in the tub every other 1 or 2 days
#29 of 38 Old 06-17-2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanno View Post
Pre baby and husband working 13+ hour days, every 2-3 days
Now, about once a week and I'm lucky to get it. I wash individual bits throughout the day when I get a chance.
uh, pretty much the same boat here. i use benedetta brand deodorant (awesome stuff) and it sometimes works for two days. i trim most of my hair (armpits and pubes) with a beard trimmer but don't shave because my skin sticks together.

i do live in a really arid place and here when you sweat you hardly even notice because it evaporates so fast.

one side note, i notice that my skin is clearer the less i wash it. i'll wash my face about once a week (benedetta again) and it's way happier than with every day.

i feel kinda dirty since it seems like everyone else showers so much more.

eh. who needs a signature?
#30 of 38 Old 06-17-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post
i feel kinda dirty since it seems like everyone else showers so much more.
me too. I am very surprised to see how many people shower TWICE a day! I'm lucky I have enough time alone to use the bathroom. Seriously, though, I'm wondering if some less frequent bathers just don't want to reveal their secret.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page