Experience with Laundry Alternative Wonder Wash & Spin Dryer anyone? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-17-2007, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been growing more and more green over the past few years and with my upcoming move to Georgia I'm taking the opportunity to go even further. I've been lurking since I discovered this site (you all are awesome btw) and have been educated and inspired to go the family cloth and menstrual cloth route. I also discovered wonderful links and tips for home made face cleansers and deodorants....so thank you, thank you, thank you!

I have this question to pose: Has anyone out there had experience with the Wonder Wash and the Spin Dryer (both by Laundry Alternative)

http://www.laundry-alternative.com/washing.htm

http://www.laundry-alternative.com/d...ategory=drying

I don't have large loads and the new apartment doesn't allow for a washer or dryer. The nearest laundry mat is not close besides I plan on doing a lot more walking and biking and a lot less car driving so I thought the washer/dryer options above would be greener, less expensive, more convenient and less wearing on my clothes.
#2 of 10 Old 06-18-2007, 01:01 AM

Hello and welcome to the group!

My husband and I used to have a Wonder washer years ago when we were living remotely here in Alaska. We were not very impressed I am sorry to report. We found that our clothes did not get very clean and we were constantly having to do loads to keep on top of our laundry...and we weren't changing our clothes THAT frequently

If you don't really have other options, the Wonder washer will do...is there anything else on the market like it?

Good luck.

warmly,
jenn
#3 of 10 Old 06-18-2007, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for responding!

What I liked about the WW was that you didn't have to hook it up to the sink. Some other portables had to be hooked up like the eco egg :

http://www.amazon.com/Avanti-Eco-Egg.../dp/B00009OWL9

from the reviews, it didn't drain well and depending on the age of the connector tubes, etc. would leak or spray water everywhere...not fun. I've also seen the "Wonder Washer" (different from the "Wonder Wash")

http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Washer-...2165587&sr=1-1

with mixed reviews and I've found "As Seen On TV" items tend to be cheaply made (parts breaking, etc.).

The Wonder Wash I want to get had part issues as well, but according to their website they seem to have addressed those by modifying the washer slightly. But if the clothes don't get clean....what's the point?! Did you have the Wonder Washer or the Wonder Wash?
#4 of 10 Old 06-18-2007, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Here's a link to an inflatable washer

http://www.gizmag.com/go/5412/
#5 of 10 Old 06-18-2007, 11:11 PM

We used the Wonder Wash from laundry alternative for 6 months solid when we were in an apartment without electric washing machines. I used it to wash 2 adults and a baby's clothes and cloth diapers. I did about 3 loads per day, and it took me about an hour total, including hand-wringing (no spinner), while tending to a young baby. It was hard work, but definitely worth not hauling laundry to a laundrymat and spending quarters.
The handle broke off at the 6 month mark, and there were cracks in the plastic lid by then, but those didn't affect how it functioned. I used it for another month or so just spinning it by hand without the handle, but that was REALLY tiresome.
Another method is to use a clean plunger in the bathtub to force the soap through the clothes. I've done this when I had things too big to fit in the Wonder Wash (like queen sized sheets and blankets).
Yet another method that I've read about but never tried is to use a 5 gallon bucket with a tight fitting lid that has a 1-inch diameter hole cut into the middle. Put the lid on over a plunger. Plunge up and down to clean the clothes.
In all of this, I have never found it difficult to get clothes clean. I always find it incredibly tedious to rinse and wring thoroughly. If you can hang clothes outdoors, you don't need to wring quite so well (would you really need a spinner?), but if you don't, the clothes are kind of crispy after drying.
#6 of 10 Old 06-19-2007, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Hananana!

I saw a version of the plunger thingy over on the Lehmans.com site. I hadn't heard of using it in conjunction with a 5 gallon bucket. Hmmm, interesting. Would that be the same concept as churning butter? I may have to do that as well for sheets & towels. Good point.

I also saw good feedback on something called the James Hand Washer, which seems ideal, plus it can come with an attachable wringer but is unfortunately out of my budget (the least I found was from The Sustainable Village for about $650 incl. the wringer and shipping). Some places even have a backorder of several months for it! I wish I could find a used one.

I don't have the option of drying outdoors so I was going to get the electric spinner and an over the tub clothes drying rack.
#7 of 10 Old 06-19-2007, 02:53 AM

Hello,

We had the wonder wash.

We also had the James Hand washer from Lehmans which was pretty good too. Lots of $$ though. Now we have a little electricity and use a Staber washer which is great for off-the-grid folks like us.

What about the plunger/bucket method with a wringer from lehmans. The wringers are essential for getting the extra water out...i think this gets clothes much cleaner. You could mount the wringer somewhere solid which you would probably need to build.

Good luck!

warmly,
jenn
#8 of 10 Old 06-19-2007, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, I'm going to use the rapid washwer method and squirrel away my money for a James Hand Washer someday. Thanks for your help!

CeeGee
#9 of 10 Old 09-15-2007, 04:38 PM

we are considering the wonderwash and i wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone had anything new to add.
#10 of 10 Old 09-16-2007, 01:11 AM

We've had the Wonder Wash for a year and a half now. I really like it! It is still in perfect condition, and we even use it for diapers and it gets everything clean. I'm a satisfied customer! It is easy to use and saves a lot of water.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page