What to put on nails to stop biting? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2007, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd has picked up a terrible nail biting habit from DH. They both bite their nails so low...

She is 4.5 years old and I want to stop this habit now while it's still pretty new. She has her fingers in her mouth 95% of the day now, chewing away.

She wants to stop biting them because she wants them painted and I told her when she stops biting them, I'll take her to the salon and she can choose a color to have the lady paint them. I'm not taking her before then since I don't want her chewing the paint off, obviously!

I know they make some yucky-tasting stuff that you can paint on the nails, but I don't know what's in it and I'm betting it's probably something I don't want her putting in her mouth, right? Is there an essential oil or something that would work? She HATES anything minty. Help! Any ideas for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2007, 10:36 PM

I do not know how healthy it is but when I wear hand cream I do not bite my nails. Tastes awful. When I need to use more hand cream in the winter my hands look great. Then when I don't my hands get all ragged again
Old 06-26-2007, 02:08 AM

The stuff they put in the no-biting nail polish is food safe. They wouldn't make it non-food safe. It's so disgustingly bitter, your child wouldn't ingest much anyway.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica View Post
The stuff they put in the no-biting nail polish is food safe. They wouldn't make it non-food safe. It's so disgustingly bitter, your child wouldn't ingest much anyway.
DS2 just scraps it off with his teeth : . The taste doesn't phase him. Hopefully you will have better luck!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim22 View Post
Is there an essential oil or something that would work? She HATES anything minty. Help! Any ideas for me?
Sorry can´t be of much help, but just a quicky to say - DO NOT get tempted to use peppermint EO!

Sadly I´m a biter too, gave up for three years after one session of hypnotherapy, but started again just before birth of DD last Oct. Now I´m desperate to stop, not only for myself but also cos I don´t want her to pick it up. Now where do I find a hypnotherapist up a mountain?

Let us know if anything works....
Old 06-26-2007, 09:53 AM

You shouldn't stick mint EOs directly on the skin.

However if she really hates mint that much you could put a couple of drops of a mint EO into some hand cream and rub it into her hands.

My dad bites his nails and like the OP's dd I was doing it at a very early age. I bit my nails my whole life and nothing ever helped get me to stop, even the nasty tasting stuff didn't phase me.

Then about a year or so ago I was diagnosed with a milk allergy and I stopped eating dairy. Then..out of nowhere I stopped biting my nails, like I never did it to begin with. It's the strangest thing.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 06-26-2007, 02:50 PM

My mom tried the bitter stuff with me... she tried nail polish...

And here I am, at age 28, still nibblin' away.

Dirty, rotten, stinkin' habit.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.

User Tag List