The best pregnancy belly oil EVER - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-17-2007, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone got a good recipe for a pregnancy belly oil?

I am planning to make one and have been looking for the most nourishing oils with healing properties. I also have to be budget conscious, so I can't just buy them all and add a few drops of everything

From what I remember, a 4oz bottle of belly oil lasted me several months during my last pregnancy. So I figure 8oz would last me an entire pregnancy next time. Another reason not to buy too many different oils.

Here is my list of possible oils to include in my belly oil creation:

(Prices from www.mountainroseherbs.com)

Kukui Nut Oil 4oz $12
The Kukui nut tree is the official tree of Hawaii and has been used by natives of this island for hundreds of years. They recognized the oil's high penetrability and soothing properties and currently they put it to use in helping sooth sunburns and chapped skin. A fabulous ingredient for your cosmetics, or as a stand-alone application Kukui nut oil contains very high levels of the essential fatty acids linoleic and alpha-linolenic. This oil is readily absorbed into the skin, providing tissues the essential elements that it needs and is particularly good for dry skin, psoriasis, acne and eczema.

Macadamia nut oil (organic) 8oz $5.50
This fine oil comes from the pressed nuts of the Macadamia tree. It is a priceless delight for the skin and has proven itself to be one of the best regenerative oils available. It is high in monounsaturated fatty acids, and closely resembles sebum (the oil naturally produced by ones skin to help protect it). Macadamia oil is a fabulous, protective oil with a high absorption rate and has been successfully used as a healing oil for scars, sunburns, minor wounds and other irritations.

Sweet Almond 8oz $4.25
This is one of the most useful, practical, and comonly used oils. It is great for all skin types as an acting emollient and is best known for its ability to soften, soothe, and re-condition the skin. It is truly marvelous as a carrier oil and is equally superb for addition to body care products. Natural expeller pressed oil from raw almond kernels and exceptionally rich in fatty acids.

Apricot Kernel Oil – 8oz $4.75
A wonderful oil similar to Sweet Almond, but more suitable for sensitive and prematurely aged skin. Our Apricot Kernel oil is a deep gold color, and can be used liberally in most body care recipes.

Carrot Seed Essential Oil – 0.5 oz $6.75
Simply the best oil for pampering of more mature skin types. This essential oil works by stimulating red blood cells which improves appearances by adding elasticity and tone to skin. It has a cult-following as an anti-aging oil for preventing wrinkles. For medicinal purposes, it speeds along scar reduction treatments. If you're making skin care for your face and you fall in the more mature skin category, this is a must-have.

Jojoba 8oz $12.75
Jojoba oil comes from the beans of the shrub like plant, simmondsia chinensis. This is the highest grade certified organic, cold pressed oil (actually a liquid plant wax). It is bright and golden in color and is regarded as the most favored in the carrier oil family because of its advanced molecular stability. Also makes a great scalp cleanser for the hair, and is equally wonderful for the skin because it has absorption properties that are similar to our skins own sebum.

Pumpkin Seed Oil (organic) 4oz $9
Also known as "green gold", pumpkin seed oil is one of the most nutritious oils available. It contains Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, Vitamins A, C, E, and Zinc. Pumpkin seed oil has a pleasant and mildly rich flavor making it suitable for culinary applications. Because of its abundant health and epidermal benefits, we recommend incorporating this oil into your culinary and cosmetic recipes.

Rosehip Seed Oil (organic) 4oz $10.50 [Must be refrigerated]
A rich, amber colored organic oil from the ripened fruit of the famed Rosehip, also known as Rosa Mosquita. This unique oil is extremely high in essential fatty acids and has carried much respect amongst professional journals and organizations as being a great agent in the fight against dry, weathered, and dehydrated skin. It works wonders on scars and is the predominant oil used for treating wrinkles and premature aging. Can be used in all fine skin care recipes. This surge in popularity is for a good reason, as it is believed to be the best oil available for anti-ageing and skin rejuvenation. Another well-known study in 1988 was conducted on twenty women between the ages of 25-35 with extensive premature aging to their skin. Their skin was wrinkled, and had sun spots from overexposure to the sun. After four months of applying rosehip seed oil daily, their wrinkles and sun spots had almost completely disappeared, and the skin had a fresher and healthier look.

Wheat Germ Oil 8oz $8.75 (NO! bad for people with gluten allergies and DH is a celiac)
This ultra rich, unrefined Wheat Germ oil is a great ingredient high in natural source Vitamin E, A, D, proteins, Lecithin, and Squalene. Wheat germ has been applied externally for numerous irritations including roughness of the skin, cracking, chaffing and many crafters of cosmetics use it successfully to help reverse the effects of wrinkling. The first ingredient in quality skin care products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 07-17-2007, 11:50 AM

i just used plain old olive oil through three pregnancies. I don't have any stretch marks, but I am sure some of it is genetic and some due to low weight gain.

Maggie, wife and mom to three
#3 of 10 Old 07-17-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemae View Post
i just used plain old olive oil through three pregnancies. I don't have any stretch marks, but I am sure some of it is genetic and some due to low weight gain.
Yeah. I didn't use anything, gained 45lbs (from 105lbs), and didn't get a single mark anywhere on my body. I vote for genetic too and maybe the fact that my weight all went on slowly. And that I've heard blondes have more elastic skin????

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#4 of 10 Old 07-17-2007, 07:29 PM

Hello again!

My choice from the above would be 80% almond oil, 10% wheatgerm and 10% rosehip. I would go for this not only because of price, but mainly for texture - both rosehip and wheatgerm are too thick and sticky to apply neat and feel comfortable. Also some people find neat wheatgerm a bit of an overpowering smell! If you don´t want to use the wheatgerm, how about avocado oil?

Cocoa butter has a good reputation, you could gently melt some add your EOs and then leave in a mold to reset.

Blessed be, Sadystar x.
#5 of 10 Old 07-17-2007, 07:43 PM

I made a great belly butter from emu oil, refined shea butter, unrefined cocoa butter, refined coconut oil, glycerine, wheat germ oil and lanolin. I love it. I just mixed it up by visual and melted it. I put the jar in the fridge to set and would get it out and shake it every 5 minutes or so. It set into a body butter texture but melts very easily at skin temp.

From the list that you posted I would use Almond oil, carrot seed oil, and pumpkin seed oil.
#6 of 10 Old 07-17-2007, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Cindy - CONGRATULATIONS on your soon-to-arrive baby!!!!!!!!! I have heard really good things about emu oil, btw. It's supposed to be super for healing scars and such.

Sadystar - Hi! If you were going to make a more exotic blend, like the belly oil to end all belly oils... the belly oil that practically GUARANTEES no stretch marks and might possibly cause you to win the Lottery besides... what would you use?

I'm definitely planning to get the sweet almond oil because it's so versatile and can be used for lots of things. The wheat germ is a no-go because then DH would have to avoid touching my skin (he's gluten-intolerant). I am really excited about the rose hip seed oil, but then I'd have to store my belly oil in the refrigerator, which is not my favorite idea. (Stand in the kitchen in the nude and apply my oil cold? Er...)

The ones that look most intriguing are pumpkin seed, jojoba, macadamia nut, kukui nut and carrot seed oil..... but that's pretty much everything on the list. I'm hopeless.

Oh, I was thinking kukui looked pretty good as a facial moisturizer though. It's supposed to absorb well and leave your skin non-greasy. I've been using unrefined shea butter on my face and it's just way too heavy for me. Even virgin coconut oil can leave my face feeling oily, and I don't think I'm applying too much of it. Maybe kukui is the best facial oil, hmm... with some added carrot seed oil and rose hip seed oil to make me young and beautiful my whole life... And now I'm back to buying everything on the list! :
#7 of 10 Old 07-17-2007, 09:40 PM

Thank you!

I had all of those oils and butters around the house. I went oil crazy a while back and have about 20 types, so I know how hard it can be to narrow things down. I think the pumpkin is a good substitute for wheat germ. I was "prescribed" wheat germ oil by my holistic Dr. It cleared up eczema on my hands and helped some acne scars fade.

I really like Mountainroseherbs but also use Camden Grey. Their prices are a little lower on some things.
#8 of 10 Old 07-17-2007, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the tip about Camden Grey. I LOVE those little cobalt bottles!!! They're so affordable, too.

I also checked out their kukui nut oil, and it's definitely cheaper than Mountainroseherbs. Do you think it's a lower quality oil? Like, more processed or something? It says "mechanical extraction" whereas MRH's website says their oil is "cold pressed." I'm not sure what the difference is, if any.
#9 of 10 Old 07-18-2007, 02:50 PM

Hmmmm don´t think I can make you lottery-winning guarantees or even that you won´t get stretch marks (there is an element of luck).

I used an oil made of the three I first mentioned and I didn´t get them. I don´t think you need to keep rose hip oil in the fridge, so long as it is in an amber or blue bottle and you keep it somewhere cool and dark (mine survives like this in the middle of a southern spanish summer). In fact over cooling oils can be a bad idea - better to keep them at an even cool temperature than move them from really cold to room temp and back again (this applies to EOs too).

If I had to offer alternatives you can use avocado at up to 50% and apricot kernal at 10%. I don´t know too much about the exotic oils that you mention, but sometimes these "new" ingredients get overhyped and tried and trusted are just as good.

But any vegetable oil will nourish the skin and give you a better chance of avoiding them - even if you can only afford olive oil, it´s better than nothing!

Love Sadystar x.
#10 of 10 Old 07-18-2007, 10:44 PM

I just placed an order from mountain rose- love them! The recipe I'm using is from the "Herbal Healing for Women" book- it's a combo of coco butter, vitamin E, sweet almond oil, coconut oil, beeswax and lanolin.

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page