any non-aluminum antiperspirants out there? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-05-2003, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used to use a variety of natural deodorants (non-aluminum based) but you know, after being a grad student for so many years and then starting to work in a busy professional environment, it just isn't acceptable to have sweaty armpits, smell or no.

I am going back to a fulltime position next month and I am in search of anything that works as an anti-perspirant that is more natural. Heck, I would love to find just a regular anti-perspirant that works on a regular basis. It seems as if something works for a while and then it quits on me. So odd....

I know that sweating is natural, etc., I have read that argument, but don't tell me that when I am staning in front of a group of people hiding my sweating pits and hoping that it doesn't stain my new blouse....
#2 of 10 Old 07-05-2003, 08:05 PM

ksmeadowlark -

Oh, how I WISH I had an answer for you, because then I'd have an answer for me too! I hate to use the ones with aluminum, but sometimes it's just really necessary for me. I know what you mean. When I'm at home, no problem; I just use my crystal deodorant spray, but when I go someplace nice or do something public like give a workshop or sing at church, you can bet I'm not fond of the wetness showing thru. So, what's a girl to do - at least in the meantime until society standards change : (aka - never!).
BTW, usually, I am a HUGE optimist! Not so much on this issue, though. I look forward to reading any ideas if there are any out there!
#3 of 10 Old 07-17-2003, 07:08 PM

I use a stone and don't sweat that much. I haven't used regular deodorants in several years.
#4 of 10 Old 07-18-2003, 12:06 AM

tom's of maine is non-aluminum deodorant - works well for me through volleyball, bike riding, etc. for sweating i'll sometime use burt's bees baby powder in conjunction with the deodorant.

hth!
#5 of 10 Old 07-20-2003, 11:07 PM

I was hoping that someone would have posted a miracle answer...I'm also ISO of this product.
#6 of 10 Old 07-25-2003, 02:27 AM

The Tend Skin company makes a product called "Purefection" deoderant/underarm protectant (? something like that) that is supposed to keep you dry (or drier) w/o aluminum.

I have never tried it, but you can read a few reviews at makeupalley.com (click on "productville", then on the left "find a review", then choose Tend Skin under"brands").
#7 of 10 Old 07-25-2003, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the link Celestial!

lots of good info in that thread
#8 of 10 Old 07-26-2003, 03:45 PM

2 of my favorites (that work !!!) are Earth Science (brand) Liken deoderant and Jasons (brand) Enzyme deoderant.
#9 of 10 Old 07-26-2003, 05:06 PM

and I sweat and I sweat =) I have hyperhydrosis which means I have alot more sweat glands then the average person. Got to be better than average at something.

I've found with my armpits that not shaving has helped alot. It did take a few weeks, but now I hardly every sweat. Believe it or not my dh suggested this..of course he loves those hairy Europeans.

It's worth a shot.

I do have special machines that I use on my feet and hands for special occasions. They make them for armpits. The downside is that I've read that you build up a resistence to them. That's why I use mine only for special occasions. Do a search of hyperhydrosis and you should be able to find them.

Heather

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#10 of 10 Old 07-27-2003, 03:48 AM

Tom's seems to work for me for normal days but when it is incredibly hot and I am running around it isn't so good.

Not all those who wander are lost 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page