cleaning stainless appliances - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-26-2001, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
pie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a stainless steel refigerator. actually I think it's brushed aluminum. Anyway, the cleaner it came with, Stainless Steel Magic, is horrid! It reeks. The active ingredient appears to be mineral oil but it is all nasty, aerosol and warnings galore. What is a good natural cleaner/polisher? The main dirt culprits are handprints/water marks from dispenser and frequently baking residue as I love to bake! Thanks...
#2 of 6 Old 11-28-2001, 08:25 PM
MCR

I had a stainless steel range until last year and to polish it up I just cleaned it with a soapy sponge and dried and polished it with a soft cloth like an old diaper, it came up lovely. I never had any special polish, Dh cleaned it once with brasso and it looked the same as when I did it so I never bothered to ask him to do it again (stinky stuff too)
#3 of 6 Old 11-28-2001, 08:27 PM

I just use baking soda and water, and boy does it shine! Just don't use too much baking soda, or you'll never get it all cleaned up!
#4 of 6 Old 11-29-2001, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter
pie

My nose thanks you both...here I was falling for the hype again, thinking you need something special..:cool:cool:
#5 of 6 Old 12-05-2001, 05:03 PM

Complete stainless steel kitchen in our rented house - I was getting really frustrated keeping the stainless steel worksurface clean (not to mention had a heartattack after dh used a scratchy sponge all over it - shudder). The only thing I found was some horrible stinky white liquid to polish it with - what a drag that was. One day I was complaining to the elderly neighbour and she got up went home and came back with a couple of cloths - yes all you need is a microfiber cloth!! They come in different weights and you just wet it slightly, wring it out well and off you go - no detergent, no polish nothing except this cloth which shines and cleans everything: stainless steel work surface, kettle, door handles, taps, windows and mirrors are a dream to do (they might get done more than once a year now).
I'm sure you'd get these clothes (not cheap but worth it) at the hardware store or supermarket cleaning aisle. They are like a giant reading glasses cleaning cloth.
#6 of 6 Old 12-05-2001, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
pie

ooooh...thank you amulet! I am so excited! THank you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page