Mothering Forum banner

cleaning stainless appliances

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  pie 
#1 ·
We have a stainless steel refigerator. actually I think it's brushed aluminum. Anyway, the cleaner it came with, Stainless Steel Magic, is horrid! It reeks. The active ingredient appears to be mineral oil but it is all nasty, aerosol and warnings galore. What is a good natural cleaner/polisher? The main dirt culprits are handprints/water marks from dispenser and frequently baking residue as I love to bake! Thanks...

#2 ·
I had a stainless steel range until last year and to polish it up I just cleaned it with a soapy sponge and dried and polished it with a soft cloth like an old diaper, it came up lovely. I never had any special polish, Dh cleaned it once with brasso and it looked the same as when I did it so I never bothered to ask him to do it again (stinky stuff too)

#5 ·
Complete stainless steel kitchen in our rented house - I was getting really frustrated keeping the stainless steel worksurface clean (not to mention had a heartattack after dh used a scratchy sponge all over it - shudder). The only thing I found was some horrible stinky white liquid to polish it with - what a drag that was. One day I was complaining to the elderly neighbour and she got up went home and came back with a couple of cloths - yes all you need is a microfiber cloth!! They come in different weights and you just wet it slightly, wring it out well and off you go - no detergent, no polish nothing except this cloth which shines and cleans everything: stainless steel work surface, kettle, door handles, taps, windows and mirrors are a dream to do (they might get done more than once a year now).
I'm sure you'd get these clothes (not cheap but worth it) at the hardware store or supermarket cleaning aisle. They are like a giant reading glasses cleaning cloth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.