Ants on the carpet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-22-2007, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have ants upstairs in my infant son's bedroom. I have no clue how they got there and I have no clue on how to get rid of them. Someone please help me out! Thanks.

Chelci

afro.jpg Chelci partners.gif Anthony, parents to: kid.gif E- 11/2006,energy.gif A- 07/2008, and babyf.gifBaby #3 due Aug. 2014.

A Few Facts About Our Familynamaste.gif  intactlact.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

#2 of 8 Old 07-22-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH3989 View Post
I have ants upstairs in my infant son's bedroom. I have no clue how they got there and I have no clue on how to get rid of them. Someone please help me out! Thanks.

Chelci
My friend had the same issue in her apartment. I think she ended up using either vinegar (letting it dry) or baking soda (vaccuuming it up after letting it sit for a minute) on her carpets, which they didn't like... I don't remember which one.
#3 of 8 Old 07-22-2007, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help!

afro.jpg Chelci partners.gif Anthony, parents to: kid.gif E- 11/2006,energy.gif A- 07/2008, and babyf.gifBaby #3 due Aug. 2014.

A Few Facts About Our Familynamaste.gif  intactlact.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

#4 of 8 Old 07-22-2007, 10:44 PM

i heard they don't like black pepper so maybe u could sprinkle some where they are coming in

::
#5 of 8 Old 07-23-2007, 05:46 PM

I was watching a gardening show on PBS and this guy said to use any type of powder borax, comet....etc... and put a thin line of it in the area that they are coming in from. I chose baby powder because I thought it would be least harmful if the kids saw it.

( by the way I had tried those little ant traps & they did nothing!)

It worked like a charm and they have not been back in over a month!

Appearantly the granuals of the powder feel like razor blades on the ants feet/body, if they walk on it-so they won't

Good luck!
#6 of 8 Old 07-24-2007, 08:29 AM

I watched an episode of "how clean is your house" last night and Kim and Aggie had a solution for this problem. They mixed salt and baking powder (equal amounts, I think) and sprinkled it on the carpet. Waited 15-30 minutes and vaccumed it up. Supposedly, the salt will kill the ants.
#7 of 8 Old 07-24-2007, 09:33 AM

You have to kill the scent trail that ants leave behind so other ants can find there way into the room. Trace the ants to where they're coming in (baseboard or whatever) and then use the above methods to kill the ants. Also, aspartame kills ants. You could mix some of that with some jelly and the ants will come to eat it and then take it back to their nest, killing all the other ants and the queen.
#8 of 8 Old 07-24-2007, 09:02 PM

corn meal also kills ants. They can't digest it, and they carry it back to the nest and the queen as well. I had a potted tree that was infested with an ant nest and it was killing my poor tree (which was the tree my husband gave me to celebrate my pregnancy...a definite no-no!) I sprinkled corn meal around the bottom of the pot and it was actually kinda gross how piled up the dead ants were the next day. ick!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page